Stat Modifiers - racial or otherwise ...

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should stat-mods (race-based, or otherwise) stay or go?

Keep them - as they are is fine
28%
Keep them - but change them!
51%
Remove them - no mods plz!
21%

Total votes: 68

Arman
Wizard

Re: Stat Modifiers - racial or otherwise ...

Post by Arman » 03 Dec 2017 04:04

gorboth wrote:
Dhez wrote:With all due respect, I believe this isn't the point. The frustration arises from the following situation: when something is seen as a problem by a vast majority of players, openly discussed, voted for, and considered settled, the change isn't done and the matter is seemingly forgotten. Nevertheless, when there is an issue which no player has complained about, or maybe one or two privately such as many believe the case to be with the changes to the church, it gets implemented quite fast. All of this coupled with statements such as "Anyone who cares to cry, I'll be sure to put a bucket at your feet." can very well be misunderstood by the receiving party, wouldn't you agree?
You know, you're totally right here, Dhez. I was being very snarky and that didn't have any good impact at all to say what I did there. I apologize for that reponse. It was borne out of my own deep hatred for the game design surrounding guild advancement that came from the innovation of death recovery about 10 years ago. I am grumpy at how it broke things, even though I really though it would help the game. It was one of those "come out swinging" type of statements, which isn't the proper way for we wizards to communicate with our esteemed fellow Genesis enthusiasts who enjoy the game as mortals. So, I really am sorry about that. Reading this thread, I am impressed as always with Cherek's way of providing good transparancy regarding how things work in the wizard world. Arman has done this, too, and has added to it the type of statesmanlike conduct I should be working harder to embody when I post here.

All's to say - oops! That was a dumb post by me. Sorry, and I'll be much more careful with my off-the-cuff moody posts.

G.
What? I thought we were just doing good cop bad cop?

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 03 Dec 2017 06:36

I just wanted to point out that sixty-four people voted on this post. I think that's a fair amount to make the conclusion of what the general game population wants. And it seems people really want some sort of change to stat modifiers. I understand you're worried about breaking something if you make a change, but I don't think that's a reason to not bother trying at all. I don't think it would break the game to just lower the modifiers a bit and raise them slightly in others. Granted I don't know much about how much work would be involved, but from what I understand it's just a matter of adjusting numbers..

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 03 Dec 2017 10:26

Ody wrote:I just wanted to point out that sixty-four people voted on this post. I think that's a fair amount to make the conclusion of what the general game population wants. And it seems people really want some sort of change to stat modifiers. I understand you're worried about breaking something if you make a change, but I don't think that's a reason to not bother trying at all. I don't think it would break the game to just lower the modifiers a bit and raise them slightly in others. Granted I don't know much about how much work would be involved, but from what I understand it's just a matter of adjusting numbers..
I'm agreeing with Ody... eew!

But yes, if skills and such are based on the stats, they will just lower some things, shouldnt be breaking anything to make the modifiers less insane.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 03 Dec 2017 23:08

Zugzug wrote:
The population's issue is why is this the case for the changes they want and not for the changes the vast majority really doesn't care about?
I think you are confusing the vociferous few on the forum with actual population of players. Sometimes it is pointless to argue with someone who doesn't listen to the arguments you make, so we don't.

The main underlying reason for people pushing racial statchange is to make humans comparatively stronger than they are now (vs. other races) - and people pushing for this tend to ignore that versatility of humans has to have a "price" attached to it, so to speak.

Mallor wrote this in the previous pages of this topic - racial balance has to be looked at along with guild balance, guild combination balance, align balance, accsess to qxp, etc -- and it's not as simple as saying we change 190 here to 140 and 60 to 80 (or whatever).
I agree that this should be the case, IF you weren't able to change your character's race.
But as it is now, people change race to suit whatever guild they are in, to gain most power.
So your argument is rather invalid, in my eyes.

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 03 Dec 2017 23:52

Thalric wrote:
I agree that this should be the case, IF you weren't able to change your character's race.
But as it is now, people change race to suit whatever guild they are in, to gain most power.
Changing race in my opinion should carry the most severe penalty in the game, short of deletion - permanent loss of all combat xp (no recovery), as well as loss of bank (the gnomes took a deposit from a dwarf, and now some goblin is trying to collect it? WTF?
Losing 1/2 of skills might have mattered 25 years ago, it certainly does not now. And I mean "real" race changes, not goblin->orc or elf->half-elf or hobbit->kender.
If you want to change your race to whatever suits you for the moment, that's your choice. Try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who does not.

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 04 Dec 2017 06:35

Zugzug wrote:
Thalric wrote:
Changing race in my opinion should carry the most severe penalty in the game, short of deletion - permanent loss of all combat xp (no recovery), as well as loss of bank (the gnomes took a deposit from a dwarf, and now some goblin is trying to collect it? WTF?
Losing 1/2 of skills might have mattered 25 years ago, it certainly does not now. And I mean "real" race changes, not goblin->orc or elf->half-elf or hobbit->kender.
If you want to change your race to whatever suits you for the moment, that's your choice. Try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who does not.
But...but.....YOU told me to change. :o

Tommo
Beginner

Post by Tommo » 05 Dec 2017 14:24

Been back and playing now for 2 months and must say really enjoying the game.. Many improvements since I was last here and I can see there has been a lot of work put in by the admin of the game so huge thanks! I will stay a bit longer i think :)

However I have probably altered my view of balance since my previous post. I feel a full review/revamp of the modifiers for each race should be made more aligning with how those races may appear in many of the middle earth based texts the game is built on.. If the changes are quite heavily impacting to some races (some will gain and some lose) allow a one off opportunity to select your race again?

OR consider combining existing stats to help races who are at present unfairly (in my mind) handicapped by the modifiers as they stand. A working example may be.

A gnome may be weak with poor constitution, however they learn extremely quickly and use their combined dexterity and mental prowess gain more experience per kill based on this combination.
An elf may be weak and have poor constitution however with their strong dexterity and great wisdom they are able to combine these traits, which allows them a bonus to combat as they can predict and learn how their opponent may react/act in battle
A goblin, whilst the ultimate combat machine, they are unwise and their intelligence prevents them from gaining as much experience from their combat and they are unable to gain the same bonuses due to limited wisdom...
etc etc

a bit radical but hey- 2 ways to help smooth the same issue perhaps.?

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 05 Dec 2017 17:41

Tommo wrote:a bit radical but hey- 2 ways to help smooth the same issue perhaps.?
I thought that magic guilds are overpowered and should be nerfed but you wish to make them stronger still.
But i am sure lots of thinking went into creating those ideas.

Tommo
Beginner

Post by Tommo » 05 Dec 2017 18:33

Syrk wrote:
Tommo wrote:a bit radical but hey- 2 ways to help smooth the same issue perhaps.?
I thought that magic guilds are overpowered and should be nerfed but you wish to make them stronger still.
But i am sure lots of thinking went into creating those ideas.
I have not seen enough re specific guilds as yet but you probably are right (however if so how come the game isn't swamped with magic users rather than goblins?)

I am only commenting on the races here as per the thread and their modifiers. Get them sorted and probably a lot easier to balance the guilds following also i would think. ?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 05 Dec 2017 18:47

[quote="Tommo"
A gnome may be weak with poor constitution, however they learn extremely quickly and use their combined dexterity and mental prowess gain more experience per kill based on this combination.
An elf may be weak and have poor constitution however with their strong dexterity and great wisdom they are able to combine these traits, which allows them a bonus to combat as they can predict and learn how their opponent may react/act in battle
A goblin, whilst the ultimate combat machine, they are unwise and their intelligence prevents them from gaining as much experience from their combat and they are unable to gain the same bonuses due to limited wisdom...
etc etc

a bit radical but hey- 2 ways to help smooth the same issue perhaps.?[/quote]

Well, technically Gnomes DO learn faster since they have more points placed as the racial average points, goblins are on the low end just above humans if I am not mistaken

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/