Calof/Baxter alignment?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
Arman
Wizard
Posts: 530
Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Arman » 05 Feb 2018 09:40

I have had conversations with a few players and we do have an issue with alignment management. I didn't really appreciate the impact this change has on evil players.

For the short-term, I am going to allow for the alignment "penalty" to be returned to Baxter only. I really don't like it... being able to go from neutral to damned in two kills is completely stupid... and if I hadn't been the one to introduce it 15 years ago I would have said this was a hack introduced by an egregious wizard. But I also understand forcing mortals to go cold turkey on a practice they have used for a long time to manage their alignment is unfair.

I just want people to understand that this will be phased out as a practice once we get a better mix of hunting locations for all mortal sizes... which I think we can do!

Greneth
Great Adventurer
Posts: 169
Joined: 30 Aug 2017 19:55

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Greneth » 05 Feb 2018 14:36

That akward moment when people are acting like their crack was taken away and admins treat them as a junkie that needs to be weaned off first.

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1784
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Draugor » 05 Feb 2018 20:12

Arman wrote:I have had conversations with a few players and we do have an issue with alignment management. I didn't really appreciate the impact this change has on evil players.

For the short-term, I am going to allow for the alignment "penalty" to be returned to Baxter only. I really don't like it... being able to go from neutral to damned in two kills is completely stupid... and if I hadn't been the one to introduce it 15 years ago I would have said this was a hack introduced by an egregious wizard. But I also understand forcing mortals to go cold turkey on a practice they have used for a long time to manage their alignment is unfair.

I just want people to understand that this will be phased out as a practice once we get a better mix of hunting locations for all mortal sizes... which I think we can do!
Its actually a rather easy thing so solve, equal goodaligned killing grounds, and no, Quali elves suck compared to mithas/GK/TT.

User avatar
Wolverine
Adventurer
Posts: 88
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 15:33

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Wolverine » 05 Feb 2018 23:50

Updated Calof and Baxter and a kender in Mithas that never drop the serrated obsidian halberd on 500 kills.

Oh.. then it happens!

This is the dead body of a tiny brown-haired kender.
The corpse of a tiny brown-haired male kender contains a serrated obsidian halberd and a
furled crinkled parchment.
> get halberd
Get what?
> get halberd from corpse
You get a serrated obsidian halberd from the corpse of a tiny brown-haired male kender.

Time to bet on Powerball!! *GASP*

User avatar
Arman
Wizard
Posts: 530
Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Arman » 06 Feb 2018 08:24

Greneth wrote:That akward moment when people are acting like their crack was taken away and admins treat them as a junkie that needs to be weaned off first.
#GenesisMethadoneProgram

I did find this discussion interesting. Alignment is actually a valued commodity... we could potentially get creative around the rewarding of it outside of the combat system (although not how it has been done now).

User avatar
Drazson
Expert
Posts: 263
Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Drazson » 06 Feb 2018 08:58

Arman wrote:
Greneth wrote:That akward moment when people are acting like their crack was taken away and admins treat them as a junkie that needs to be weaned off first.
#GenesisMethadoneProgram

I did find this discussion interesting. Alignment is actually a valued commodity... we could potentially get creative around the rewarding of it outside of the combat system (although not how it has been done now).

The faction based system you referred to is an interesting idea, but it would require quite the overhaul. Good/evil could be dropped altogether (you are "good" in the eyes of kenders if you protect them from evil but you are "#uber_baddie" for Angmarians if you kill Haradrim etc.) or maybe a mix could be created. This would probably make more sense with NPCs reacting to it, dropping random lines ("Oh gandalf you brought fireworks how awesome it was boring in Shire" or "Your evilry precedes you, Master *deep bow*." Then each guild can decide which factions it should relate with and have its members under a leash that way (Ranger in Middle Earth and Necromancer in Faerun? Uhm... no?). Such an endeavour would need a seperate post and quite a lot of tinkering though :(

User avatar
Arman
Wizard
Posts: 530
Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Arman » 06 Feb 2018 10:59

Drazson wrote:
Arman wrote:
Greneth wrote:That akward moment when people are acting like their crack was taken away and admins treat them as a junkie that needs to be weaned off first.
#GenesisMethadoneProgram

I did find this discussion interesting. Alignment is actually a valued commodity... we could potentially get creative around the rewarding of it outside of the combat system (although not how it has been done now).

The faction based system you referred to is an interesting idea, but it would require quite the overhaul. Good/evil could be dropped altogether (you are "good" in the eyes of kenders if you protect them from evil but you are "#uber_baddie" for Angmarians if you kill Haradrim etc.) or maybe a mix could be created. This would probably make more sense with NPCs reacting to it, dropping random lines ("Oh gandalf you brought fireworks how awesome it was boring in Shire" or "Your evilry precedes you, Master *deep bow*." Then each guild can decide which factions it should relate with and have its members under a leash that way (Ranger in Middle Earth and Necromancer in Faerun? Uhm... no?). Such an endeavour would need a seperate post and quite a lot of tinkering though :(
I reckon it could be done... I'd love faction to play more a part than alignment or race. After recoding all the Krynn guilds that need recoding, Krynn warfare system will be high on my radar... in fact the overhaul of the warfare system is my endgame. And I reckon i'll build a faction points system in to that which could be extended beyond that.

Manglor
Rising Hero
Posts: 322
Joined: 16 Sep 2013 17:30
Location: Dieppe, NB, Canada

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by Manglor » 10 Feb 2018 13:55

Arman wrote:I reckon it could be done... I'd love faction to play more a part than alignment or race. After recoding all the Krynn guilds that need recoding, Krynn warfare system will be high on my radar... in fact the overhaul of the warfare system is my endgame. And I reckon i'll build a faction points system in to that which could be extended beyond that.
The dream!

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2294
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by gorboth » 21 Feb 2018 21:15

I wonder if we could fold these issues into the previously debated issue of there being relatively little utility to the dis stat?

Perhaps we could introduce a way to focus alignment similar to how we allow focus on certain stats in AG meditation rooms. You could focus toward good/evil depending on which direction you wish to progress. Then, the ratio of your dis stat to your stat ave could act as a modifier to control how much impact your focus has on your progression. If you have a dis higher than your stat ave, for example, you might be able to get a x2-5 modifier to your alignment progression based on the ratio.

An idea.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

sylphan
Great Adventurer
Posts: 169
Joined: 12 Nov 2017 19:56

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by sylphan » 22 Feb 2018 00:34

gorboth wrote:I wonder if we could fold these issues into the previously debated issue of there being relatively little utility to the dis stat?

Perhaps we could introduce a way to focus alignment similar to how we allow focus on certain stats in AG meditation rooms. You could focus toward good/evil depending on which direction you wish to progress. Then, the ratio of your dis stat to your stat ave could act as a modifier to control how much impact your focus has on your progression. If you have a dis higher than your stat ave, for example, you might be able to get a x2-5 modifier to your alignment progression based on the ratio.

An idea.
G.
Except I fail to see what discipline has to do with alignment. Other than it being a fairly random way of inviting people to care about discipline.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/