Does your gender matter?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Does your gender matter?

Post by Cherek » 13 Jun 2018 15:35

A recent FB thread got me thinking about this topic, and I figured we've never really discussed it here as far as I can remember. So, let's talk about sex! No, not like that silly, I mean your character's gender.

Do you feel your character's gender matter in Genesis 2018? And if so, what are the pros and cons of selecting a male or female character?

Berwyn
Veteran

Re: Does your gender matter?

Post by Berwyn » 13 Jun 2018 16:45

Of course it does matter. Genesis is the haven for heroes male and female alike. This is a big plus in the cruel world of gender inequality. Nobel prize in literature for Ladies and Gentlemen of Raumdor, Amazons and recent poster of the Society; )

b.
Evil to him who evil thinks.

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 13 Jun 2018 17:41

I am male. I have never played a female character in Genesis. While it may not be as important as it once was, I still value role-playing and frankly, I have a hard time role-playing a female since I have never been one. I'm married, so I understand my wife fairly well. I'm about to have a daughter, so maybe I'll be more comfortable in the future. But I do think that males and females tend to have slight behavioral differences and I can't imagine that it would seem believable if I were to attempt role-playing a female.

In a recent D&D campaign I did take a crack at playing a female character. It's been...interesting. Mostly because the DM insists on us trying to use the character's voice when we speak. I just don't feel like I am doing the character justice and that she is lacking quite a bit of depth because I am so focused on trying to act female.

All that to say...I think gender for characters matters if we are going to present Genesis as a living world that exists to emulate well-known fantasy realms. I wouldn't be opposed to a domain or area that is genderless, though.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 13 Jun 2018 17:59

For better or worse, gender norms govern how we imagine ourselves and our characters, how we speak, and how we act. Genderless-ness is hard to imagine, though it could be interesting to offer more than two categories of gender at the character creation stage. But that would cause a lot of syntactical problems since English (along with many other languages) has difficulty representing gender as anything but a binary. Of course, a player and character could choose to ignore being constantly referred to as him / her, etc.

I'd like to see greater balance, though, just in terms of the ways NPCs respond to male and female characters. Why do no male characters flaunt themselves the way the barrista in the Mercafe does? Why are only female characters dancers and seductors? The male NPCs in Avenir leer at females (not males), but female NPCs never let their eyes linger over males (nor females). In short, this game represents females as objects, not subjects, of (hetero)sexual desire.

Genesis isn't unique in this. Just the reverse. This is the dominant paradigm. How refreshing it would be to have Genesis among the vanguard in working to correct this imbalance!

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 13 Jun 2018 19:05

Of course it matters.
Claiming otherwise makes you blind or stupid.

I've played both sides of the coin in the game and I can honestly say that female characters are treated very differently and have it way easier then male characters(assuming no one knows your true identity).
Cause that too matters, regardless of the character you play.
If people know the player behind they can and will treat you differently regardless of how much a RPer they claim to be.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Berwyn
Veteran

Post by Berwyn » 13 Jun 2018 19:58

I haven't read conversation on facebook, but I reckon good fantasy is a bit sexist. Half-naked barberians entwined with symbols of sex are an example. Frank Frazetta would be the leading creator of this notion, and I think Sybarites follow this in every aspect.

I suppose if you are experienced player you could get away with playing female character, however if you take advantage of this costume of a lass, oh there is nothing that angers me more than this.

Females, there are few ways of becoming a real heroine of some sorts in Genesis. In particular I would suggest, and I am biased here, following the path of a witch. There are cute elvish princesses, nuns of various circles of magic, and many others, but no witches at all - sad. And so many attractive paths leading to the Dark Lord; shame!

As for males, most of lads have a sense of what to do with their careers and I'm not going to hint any directions . For certain some of the advantages are the Gentlemen club, all the codes of honour, challenges, fights and the essence of manliness itself. Ugh : ] Stereotypes but how actual.

I think it's relevant what's your gender as long as you attempt to aspire to a serious play of Genesis. Other than that, go north (the Dark Power of the North is waiting)

b.
Evil to him who evil thinks.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 13 Jun 2018 20:13

Woman here, playing female character/s.

People have been creepy to me. Unwanted physical contact, lecherous name-calling, straight-up propositions, etc. This comes mainly from male characters but also from female characters (some of which I know are played by women, others I suspect are not). Nb: this happened MUCH more when I was new to the game.

People have been nice to me. They took me hunting when I was small, and now I often take gifts/donations for my guild. Early on, of course I had nothing to offer. But now I can, and do. because I want to add value -- strengthen my guild, build alliances, make friends, cultivate rivalries. Do they give me gear because I play a female character, or because I play a Neidar? I don't know. I don't care. I reciprocate because they're allies.

Did Raelle grow fast once I stopped being shy and started teaming/trying to make friends? Absolutely. Because I'm a woman? I have no idea. But when you play a million hours a day... you're bound to team/grow eventually. Maybe it helps that I'm a girl, but I work my butt off too.

I understand that women/female characters have it easy in some respects. but we're often dragged through the mud along the way.

(edited for clarity, etc)
Last edited by Raelle on 14 Jun 2018 01:30, edited 2 times in total.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 13 Jun 2018 20:20

sylphan wrote:I'd like to see greater balance, though, just in terms of the ways NPCs respond to male and female characters. Why do no male characters flaunt themselves the way the barrista in the Mercafe does? Why are only female characters dancers and seductors? The male NPCs in Avenir leer at females (not males), but female NPCs never let their eyes linger over males (nor females). In short, this game represents females as objects, not subjects, of (hetero)sexual desire.
I don't feel the need to have any sexy male NPCs in Genesis, but I've noticed the same trends as Sylphan.

Also, none of the brothels will accept Raelle as a client, and furthermore,

"The sneaky male halfling's slender sharp rapier launches straight at you, but only manages to get entangled in your beard."

Entangled in my what, now?

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 13 Jun 2018 23:36

Berwyn wrote:I reckon good fantasy is a bit sexist
And what? I'm not sure what your point is, but here are some thoughts for you to consider:

1. That a lot of fantasy is sexist is no reason for reproducing that sexism in a continually evolving MUD, or in the way we RP within it.

2. I can imagine some readers who consider it a mark of "good" fantasy NOT to be sexist.

3. If you mean that a "bit" of sexism is one of the essential characteristics of "good" fantasy, sod off.

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 14 Jun 2018 00:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTrXRN7jBsE
wanted to share this song, because.. funny..

I have no male char, but i guess it does matter. But ive noticed that most people are helpful and friendly towards males as well. As long as one does his best to play a part in this community.

And as Raelle said, i try to help out others, team with others being their shield and work hard for the guilds im in.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/