Ghastly Keep's "fix"

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zugzug
Veteran

Re: Ghastly Keep's "fix"

Post by Zugzug » 11 Jul 2018 23:20

Johnny wrote:...when I want to focus on recovering from my many many deaths I can go to the GK and recover in 2 days at the pace I play when I'm focused on recovering. It probably could use a little reduction. ....
If you can recover from death in 2 days, are you sure it's the ghastly keep effect, and not Rangers being super-overpowered? ;)

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 12 Jul 2018 01:19

Zugzug wrote: If you can recover from death in 2 days, are you sure it's the ghastly keep effect, and not Rangers being super-overpowered? ;)
Haha shhhhhh no one is supposed to know that!

It helps when you are in the meeks recovering and it's just to recover from 1 of the many deaths. When it's to recover from just 1 death, it takes a quite a bit longer than 2 days at my pace even in the GK.

Chade
Novice

Post by Chade » 12 Jul 2018 17:35

Zugzug wrote: I can also complain how terel trolls attack the smallest person in the team and block (and even being a large and scary goblin I do not have the faintest idea, even at a superior layman, how to "rescue" a smaller teammate).

Since block was already made global... make rescue global too! Less reasons to be a Knight! *everyone cheers*

Oh almost forgot mercy was almost made global too! Niiice! If you don't remember check <help mercy>

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 13 Jul 2018 09:25

I think what Cot means is, if you can't or are unable to farm the necessary kills, then you don't qualify for the area.

It's quite possible that the area was designed with intent to work that way, or, that it rewards those with enough time collecting the kills. Even if it's farmed, you should be able to rack up some kills over time unless ofcourse much larger players come and steal the kills from you.

If this is the intended design, it means it's not for casuals.

One could question the design ofcourse.

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 13 Jul 2018 09:33

Chade wrote:
Zugzug wrote: I can also complain how terel trolls attack the smallest person in the team and block (and even being a large and scary goblin I do not have the faintest idea, even at a superior layman, how to "rescue" a smaller teammate).

Since block was already made global... make rescue global too! Less reasons to be a Knight! *everyone cheers*

Oh almost forgot mercy was almost made global too! Niiice! If you don't remember check <help mercy>

I really thought that the knights were there because of oath and measure, not block and rescue. Perhaps change the annoying shouts in that case? ;)

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 13 Jul 2018 09:37

Nerull wrote:I think what Cot means is, if you can't or are unable to farm the necessary kills, then you don't qualify for the area.

It's quite possible that the area was designed with intent to work that way, or, that it rewards those with enough time collecting the kills. Even if it's farmed, you should be able to rack up some kills over time unless ofcourse much larger players come and steal the kills from you.

Perhaps extending the definition of kill to people who participated in the fight? The problem for tanks as it stands is that they barely ever get the last hit to claim having killed it, and are therefore not allowed downstairs, but then the pure dps glass cannon cannot do much by himself downstairs either.

In other words, the issue isn't about a person of a lower level being dragged but unable to go downstairs, but rather that of a team of, say, a neidar and two calians. The neidar, although perhaps bigger in size than the two calians, will almost never get the "You killed..." message although they're quite fit and deserve to be there.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 13 Jul 2018 09:49

Sorry if you feel hurt by my comment.

But if you can't get kills in ghastly being a tank or such, it is simply because of the wrong amount lazyness.
stop fighting....
unwield....

There are many ways for a dps to stop dps'ing. And thus the tank can get the kills.

If you have the right amount of lazyness, you already have a trigger to aid teammates getting their kills.

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 13 Jul 2018 09:53

Dhez wrote:
Nerull wrote:I think what Cot means is, if you can't or are unable to farm the necessary kills, then you don't qualify for the area.

Perhaps extending the definition of kill to people who participated in the fight? The problem for tanks as it stands is that they barely ever get the last hit to claim having killed it, and are therefore not allowed downstairs, but then the pure dps glass cannon cannot do much by himself downstairs either.
I have never found it too difficult to get someone from dragon order (a tank by definition) or Priests of Takhisis (a healer class) downstairs. It just takes some effort on my part, but I think the area was designed as a "high effort - high reward" one, not your typical "blast through quickly and move to next area" place.

As someone who spends a lot of genesis-time in GK, I see pure tanks (Neidars) there frequently, I see pure dps (magic users), I see solo Calians doing ok for themselves.

What I have heard before is calls to make this a low-effort area, where a team of tank+dps behind (and mostly idle dps on triggers) can grind it like they grind the rest of genesis. The same people who whine in this thread (you know who you are!) have refused my invitation to join me in a team in ghastly keep because "they aren't autistic to watch the screen all the time" and don't like taking damage while inattentive. OKAY. I get it.

I just don't get the whining.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 13 Jul 2018 09:59

Good points. I really have no idea since I barely have visited the area in a long, long time.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 13 Jul 2018 15:33

You say "you should be able to rack up some kills over time." yes. this is true. but if one don't do it fast enough....outta luck. This is Cotillion's design, not the original code.

the intended design seemed to be: get xx kills, then have access to GK for the duration of your login. This was exploited (imo) by people idling for two weeks straight with a free pass to the lower level.

cotillion's design seems to be: get xx kills, then get x more within the next y hours, then get x more, then x more.... So if I wake up in the morning, get my kill quota in, then go help a smaller player quest for a couple of hours, then, I don't know, maybe spend some time rollplaying (!!) instead of grinding, and then go back to GK....... I'm screwed and I need to "earn" my way back to the lower level. This is frustrating, it encourages grinding ONLY.

btw I play a tank (neidar) and I have zero complaints about how it's hard for me to get kills. Sure it's hard for me to get kills. duh. I don't do much damage. To balance that, I have many other strengths. I accept this and I don't mind putting in the effort to get to the lower level. But to do it over and over during one login....in one AFTERNOON......

Anyway, I'm not super stoked about the change because I think it encourages a playstyle that's not healthy for Genesis. I appreciate the effort Cotillion put into this fix, but I don't think I like it and I don't think it follows the "intended design" of the Keep.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/