Roleplay versus Harrassment

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Okotok
Wanderer

Roleplay versus Harrassment

Post by Okotok » 25 Aug 2018 23:33

Looking at some posts throughout the forum(particularly the heat between Jibjab and Coark) I pondered about a question that I think deserves to be discussed further:

What is the line between Roleplay influenced actions, emotions, etc and plain player harassment?

Now, as the touchy, finicky, and sensitive gamers we are, we obviously don't like it when other players attack, humiliate, even discriminate us. But what if that those negative actions were actually a player trying his best to be a character? I'm sure most of us have read the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and in those fantastic works of literature, there are nasty conflicts between races and peoples. A good example is between Elves and Dwarves. They HATE each other(most of the time).

What can we do to be the best roleplayer we can be, but also make an environment to which all of the denizens of the Donut can play without feeling isolated and picked on?

Just a thought,

Okotok.

Draugor
Myth

Re: Roleplay versus Harrassment

Post by Draugor » 26 Aug 2018 14:11

Okotok wrote:Looking at some posts throughout the forum(particularly the heat between Jibjab and Coark) I pondered about a question that I think deserves to be discussed further:

What is the line between Roleplay influenced actions, emotions, etc and plain player harassment?

Now, as the touchy, finicky, and sensitive gamers we are, we obviously don't like it when other players attack, humiliate, even discriminate us. But what if that those negative actions were actually a player trying his best to be a character? I'm sure most of us have read the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and in those fantastic works of literature, there are nasty conflicts between races and peoples. A good example is between Elves and Dwarves. They HATE each other(most of the time).

What can we do to be the best roleplayer we can be, but also make an environment to which all of the denizens of the Donut can play without feeling isolated and picked on?

Just a thought,

Okotok.
Tbh, if they started it in game, they keep it in game and they are still keeping it in game, they can act like idiots and kill eachother all they want :P They might be roleplaying a lunatic that makes incohearant posts and accusations, the result might be that they get killed.

"Now, as the touchy, finicky, and sensitive gamers we are" I really wouldnt identify the majority of the game as this :P Its not a carebear game and thank Sauron for that. Attacking, humiliating and discriminatin IN GAME for IN GAME reasons? Dont care. If I play a newbie and you and me get into a fight and you kill me so I logg my myth+ char and squish you 2-3 times, now THATS not allowed and something that we as a whole frown seriously upon as does the wizards usually, but alot of players will simply gang up and spank the shit outa people like that. But if you kill my newbie and I keep attacking you? Threaten in game? Yes thats part of the character most likelly and you can ofc employ people to aid you should you need it.

Its a multiplayer game, other players WILL have an effect on you in one way or another. And on the elves and dwarves thing? You do know that this is a VERY mixed realm? Faerun dwarves and elves, Tolkien, Dragonlance, hell even Sybarus has its own lore on the issue I believe so its not really an argument :P You define your character via your own RP and guildrules. Hell you can even break guildrules, they usually have some sort of enforcement in place tho.

"What can we do to be the best roleplayer we can be, but also make an environment to which all of the denizens of the Donut can play without feeling isolated and picked on?"

Getting picked on is part of the game, especially if in a rival guild. Isolated? How are theyh isolating you? Revealing someone as a thief? Dont steal shit. Simple?

Okotok
Wanderer

Post by Okotok » 26 Aug 2018 19:52

My apologies for sounding arrogant, for in the relatively short time I've been in Genesis I haven't seen my share of PvP conflicts. But try and understand where I'm coming from, as a newbie: being killed, being threatened in game, even the thought of it sucks. I understand how you, Draugor, may think conversely due to your vast experience, but for newbies who are very new to the world like me, who don't know that "Attacking, humiliating and discriminatin IN GAME for IN GAME reasons? Dont care." is how most experienced players feel about the game, it's going to chase them away. Especially if they are humiliated, discriminated against--and what's worse, you don't care.

Callousness is something we shouldn't primarily show if we want more new players who want to spend more time in the game.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 26 Aug 2018 21:18

Okotok wrote:My apologies for sounding arrogant, for in the relatively short time I've been in Genesis I haven't seen my share of PvP conflicts. But try and understand where I'm coming from, as a newbie: being killed, being threatened in game, even the thought of it sucks. I understand how you, Draugor, may think conversely due to your vast experience, but for newbies who are very new to the world like me, who don't know that "Attacking, humiliating and discriminatin IN GAME for IN GAME reasons? Dont care." is how most experienced players feel about the game, it's going to chase them away. Especially if they are humiliated, discriminated against--and what's worse, you don't care.

Callousness is something we shouldn't primarily show if we want more new players who want to spend more time in the game.
Okay, 1. Differenciate your character from yourself. Its part of RP, this is something that should be said around 50 times during the newbie area "Differenciate your char from yourself or you wont have a good time" Newbies need to realize this. If someone says "Do this again and I will tear your head off" when you stole something, that is per definition a threat. Its a rather big part of fantasygames and blustering etc. There are characters there are going to be roleplayed as asshats, its that characters persona. Avoid that character.

2. There are entire guilds with racial discrimination and even hatred built into them, Neidar against Goblinoids/ogres/orcs and minotaurs for instance they are the most glaring and gigantic example, they actually do more damage since they are attacking filthy races that they litterally hate. As long as it is in the game and they dont let it spill over, no issue.

3. Oh I care or rather my character does. Cause I know the difference from character and myself. One of my characters will likelly stand by your side cause that is part of whom he is, I have another that will likelly smack you for beeing a weakling cause its part of his roleplay. Everyone arent role playing huggybuggy cuddly people. Make no mistake, we deffo have them. But define harassment, are you and some other player having a fight and you're tossing crap back and forth and you cant handle it? I get it, from an RL point of view it sucks and its annoying, but its a game. Differenciate. If someone tells you that you're dead meat in genesis, its not something thats happening in RL :P So dont bring it out of game.

4. Callousness is litterally the RP of alot of characters. Or should we police peoples RP cause some people cant realize that they arent their char? If you want nicer people to hang with, stop standing in sparkle. Hell there are guilds that have callousness as a central part of their RP, should we rewrite the entire guild just because you dont like it? Not likelly. Make friends with nice people and team with them instead. And my callousness on the board he re wich is not in game? Cause thats how it is. Its good to learn it cause its a fact of the game. Unless there is a rulebreak, handle it in game, try to find someone to help you punish whoever is pestering you, we've got quite a few people that run around sparkle and champion newbies cause its part of whom their character are.

And what seems to be chasing people away is from what I gather are quests and the fact that they cant keep their gear when they logg off (well unless it saves ofc), its what I actually hear people complain about, you're the second one in like 3? 4? Years that we've had make this complain compared to 100ish on the other two matters :P

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 27 Aug 2018 13:01

Okotok wrote:being killed, being threatened in game
Is this happening to your character? Threats are one thing, and often the ones who make unprovoked threats are the least truly dangerous, and the least to actually back their words up (not always, but often).

If your character is being killed repeatedly by the same player character, that likely qualifies as harrassment, and you can mail AOP about it. I would talk to experienced players first, though, and try to deal with it in game.

But the truth is, as Draugor said, that other characters may threaten, fight, and even kill yours, all within the rules of the game. If this concerns you and you still want to play, I would seek allies (in your guilds is a good place to start). Talk to the most experienced ones you meet. Find out who your enemies may be, what motivates them, and how you might learn to give as good as you get. This kind of thing is actually where many players find most of their enjoyment in the game.

If you want to play a more peaceful character, there are guilds that emphasize other things beyond combat and power games. Read up in the Sparkle library, talk to other players, and explore. If you seek out friendly players and you keep your head down, you will avoid conflicts most of the time. When you can't avoid it, learn to retaliate, or use your wits or your friends ...

At the end of the day, though, the game is a medieval fantasy for adults, and it is bound to be dangerous (some of us would say exciting!) from time to time.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/