Problems if we get too many newbies

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Re: Problems if we get too many newbies

Post by Draugor » 02 Sep 2018 13:51

Thalric wrote:What about all these auto-saving racks?

Won't they eventually be filled up with thousands of non-magical items that just keep growing in numbers?
Imagine how the Cadet racks will look in a year or two...

I would think that non-magical items should ONLY save ALWAYS when held by someone, and not if stored in a rack. That way we get things cleared up now and again.
Also, there are items that are REALLY good, but are not magical.
The issue is this, guilds that newbies usually join, Glads, mercs etc have tons of racklooters so they are not likelly to ever see the gear again.

Tbh, lockers or same non magic/imbued non magical untill arma or next arma if it saves when dropping

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 02 Sep 2018 15:41

I like Thalric's suggestion, and think it is what people would expect coming from other games. The stuff you want to keep you keep on you. If it saves, there's no reason to drop it anyway, unless you're intending to hoard gear, in which case - that's what racks are for, and stuff doesn't save forever that way. Live with it.

What if imbuing an item always makes it save across one Armageddon, but not across quitting? According to Cherek's system, it would glow faintly. Imbuing something takes some planning and effort, and it seems reasonable to get at least one save out of it.

I still think it stinks that gear security varies so widely across guilds, and that racks are the only way to keep an imbued item (well, you can hide it, which works only for a while, if at all). In many (most?) guilds, you have basically no hope of ever keeping an imbued item over quitting, because the racks aren't safe. So an imbued item you've sunk tens of hours, maybe a hundred or more hours into - not to mention plats - you then get to use for one login, two if it saves. This is why my character has never imbued a single item. It would be just too demoralizing to see it gone so fast. Yet I keep collecting stones, hoping that one day I'll be able to use them without worrying I've just wasted a huge amount of time and effort.

But returning to the point of the thread, Cherek's suggestion combined with Thalric's would result in our retaining more new players, I'm pretty sure.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 02 Sep 2018 21:35

Over the course of my vacation I would browse mainly reddit, but other sites too while flying or being driven around.

We keep getting the same reviews, they love the game, they were hooked but the no saving of items was a complete deal breaker that ruined their experience. And there really isn't much I or anyone else can respond with, it's a bad system.

I say remove the non-dulling feature for weapons in the game and increase the durability loss on all items via use. Then we can do away with saving/non saving completely. Just have everything save, or set a number limit, etc. Things will wear down quicker so it wont matter.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Sep 2018 03:15

Thalric wrote:What about all these auto-saving racks?

Won't they eventually be filled up with thousands of non-magical items that just keep growing in numbers?
Imagine how the Cadet racks will look in a year or two...

I would think that non-magical items should ONLY save ALWAYS when held by someone, and not if stored in a rack. That way we get things cleared up now and again.
Also, there are items that are REALLY good, but are not magical.
Good point. Yes only saved if held by someone. As for such items, it's possible we would need to adjust some to become magical. I can't think of anything _awesome_ that is not magical though. Examples?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Sep 2018 03:18

Greneth wrote: We keep getting the same reviews, they love the game, they were hooked but the no saving of items was a complete deal breaker that ruined their experience. And there really isn't much I or anyone else can respond with, it's a bad system.
Yeah we definitely need to do something about that. I think basically everyone agree something should be done. We never seem to be able to decide on which solution to use though.:)

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 03 Sep 2018 04:04

Everyone except for the big G. you mean. If I'm mistaken and it's really happening then sure, it makes sense to try to come up with ideas. I really hope I am mistaken by the way :)

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 03 Sep 2018 08:26

Mergula's cloak isn't magical...

Flaming-red pelts? Hooded silvery robe?

I'm sure there are more things around, but those come to mind as being both good enough for many myths to use, and likely not magical.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Sep 2018 17:25

Drazson wrote:Everyone except for the big G. you mean. If I'm mistaken and it's really happening then sure, it makes sense to try to come up with ideas. I really hope I am mistaken by the way :)
No that's not what I meant. Gorboth also thinks newbies leaving because of this is a problem we need to solve.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Sep 2018 17:27

Thalric wrote:Mergula's cloak isn't magical...

Flaming-red pelts? Hooded silvery robe?

I'm sure there are more things around, but those come to mind as being both good enough for many myths to use, and likely not magical.
Right, well there are probably some around, and perhaps we need to simply make some of those items magic.

Another issue I just remembered from the old thread is the possibility of filling up on loot, then quitting, and logging back in and sell it. Which might be a bit... strange.

Quitting will also become a quick teleport home unless you have magic items. Although that might not be a big issue since newbies, who are the ones likely to not have magic items, got the home command anyway. Still, those are some more potential drawbacks to consider / solve.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 03 Sep 2018 18:12

I'm starting to like the concept that anything you wield/wear will save and that things degrade faster.

This really is a puzzle, though. Lots of issues to think through.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/