Problems if we get too many newbies
Posted: 29 Aug 2018 10:15
[Note: I split this from the Common Board PC Gamer thread so we don't clutter that with this otherwise useful discussion. -G.]
What you should be more worried about instead of max numbers is wether or not we have the ifrastructure in genesis to handle those numbers that are expected as in allow them to have something to do, I mean questing alone will be even more nightmarish if we get 100 newbies that all go to quest, we'll loose like 99% of themgorboth wrote:My original answer to this was insufficient, and so I wanted to circle back. Here are things that Cotillion and I have been doing in preparation for the (presumable) influx of new players at publication of the PC Gamer article:Mersereau wrote:What are the wizards doing in preparation?
- Cotillion is working on a recompilation of the gamedriver to allow for a max player count of 1024 people logged on simultaneously. Current limits are at 500.
- We are looking at re-introducing the queue at some high number of logged-in players, which we have not yet determined.
- I have stress tested the tutorial to make sure instancing works in the grind zones.
- I am nearing completion of a new pub for Sparkle, which will act as a hangout for players and introduce the concept of rested exp.
More to come, but that's a list of what we're up to so far to get ready for this.
- We did a purge of playerfiles that are no longer active, resulting in around 19,000 characters being deleted. We made sure that these were not files that were important to people, with 99% of them being utter novices who did not complete the tutorial and ghost characters that did not complete the creation sequence. The major gain here is that 19K names which were locked up by failed character starts are now again free for use by new visitors. Because I wanted to be sure no valued characters were lost, I did a parse of the list and flagged around 20 characters who were above wanderer level, and who we will restore if needed. None of the characters purged were above expert level or older than 13 days of game age.