If the game were nerfed ...

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Post Reply

If a balance bug-fix nerfed all specials, spells, and heal effects to 37% of current power levels:

Good move - I'd keep playing, even though I'd be weaker
35
43%
Not sure - I'd see what it was like, might stay, might not.
19
23%
Hate it - I don't want to be weaker! I would quit.
28
34%
 
Total votes: 82

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1394
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Amberlee » 03 Oct 2018 05:55

Arman wrote:
Luma wrote:Can a someone address that, as I understand it, casters become virtually unplayable if this nerf happens?
In fixing the bug we'd have to look at the magic system again. It may be as simply as scaling down the mana cost for offensive spells to keep them playable. Comparatively, they'd still have - potentially - the most powerful offensive outputs in the game. They just need to use them more frequently.

Or it may mean we'd need to re-look at how magic guilds work conceptually.

While that would certainly help smaller players and defense spells, it would not do much for bigger players and attack spells.
Remember with the HUGE scale back you are suggesting, the main source of all damage is white damage with specials only somewhat supplementing the damage.
Why will this hurt casters ALOT more than melees?
Because 100% of the damage for casters is by specials. They have NO white hits.
Even if that was previously factored into the damage for casters, this will also be nerfed with the scaling down of specials because it's as you say.. a special.
For melees this won't be the case, they will keep their white damage as it was.
So yeah if you go through with the nerf, which I think you will, casters will need a FULL rebalancing.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

User avatar
Luma
Adept
Posts: 101
Joined: 12 Feb 2017 06:07
Location: Studying spell scrolls

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Luma » 03 Oct 2018 05:57

sylphan wrote:
Arman wrote:
Luma wrote:Can a someone address that, as I understand it, casters become virtually unplayable if this nerf happens?
In fixing the bug we'd have to look at the magic system again. It may be as simply as scaling down the mana cost for offensive spells to keep them playable. Comparatively, they'd still have - potentially - the most powerful offensive outputs in the game. They just need to use them more frequently.

Or it may mean we'd need to re-look at how magic guilds work conceptually.
It wouldn't only be mana, though, would it? Unless you're considering a gigantic reduction of mana cost, so much so that we can cast lessers close to the speed of minors? Or unless the longer casting times were offset with a truckload more of damage? Otherwise using them "more frequently" would mean reducing casting time as well, no? Or giving us haste that doesn't totally wreck mana?

And consider the silliness of having worked up this new magic system only to turn around and have to revamp it all? I'm sorry, this is making less and less sense to me the more I think about it.
I don't like dwelling on these big decisions forever, but there needs to be a solution to an underpowered magic system. Once that is clear and decided on, then I am all in favor of the nerf. Until then, the specials and new magic system are features, not bugs.

Daerin
Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: 04 Aug 2018 17:32

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Daerin » 03 Oct 2018 07:16

Casters has more options than just damage, they have many types of protection, damage that reflects, things that makes the enemy miss, dark vision etc etc. Defensive spells and utility spells are also very useful, especially with this nerf. The ability to be able to change between these things and custom make abilities depending on the fight will be made more important, something most fighting guilds don't have.
Why their usefullness is only measured in how mush nuking power they have I don't understand.

User avatar
OgreToyBoy
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 11:36

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by OgreToyBoy » 03 Oct 2018 07:19

Wouldn't it be bad if we are forced to team up at a larger extent?!?

Drazson
Expert
Posts: 285
Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Drazson » 03 Oct 2018 08:01

This is utterly insulting, in all seriousness. Casters that have been overtuned asked to stay that way or it will be "unplayable". There are guilds 20000 leagues under that "unplayable" state you are talking about right now that are believed to be under the same balance edict. I need to use 50% hp and 50% mana to solo a black wight at expert (on the verge to RH) and you're talking about soloing dragons. I'm trying very hard to stay nice here but seriously shut your trap.

Greneth
Wizard
Posts: 175
Joined: 30 Aug 2017 19:55

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Greneth » 03 Oct 2018 08:19

Drazson wrote:This is utterly insulting, in all seriousness. Casters that have been overtuned asked to stay that way or it will be "unplayable". There are guilds 20000 leagues under that "unplayable" state you are talking about right now that are believed to be under the same balance edict. I need to use 50% hp and 50% mana to solo a black wight at expert (on the verge to RH) and you're talking about soloing dragons. I'm trying very hard to stay nice here but seriously shut your trap.
Not that I don't agree but with the nerf you really wouldn't be able to kill those wights :P

Drazson
Expert
Posts: 285
Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Drazson » 03 Oct 2018 08:21

Greneth wrote:Not that I don't agree but with the nerf you really wouldn't be able to kill those wights :P
I know. You really think I'm playing the game because I can kill things in it...? I would change my guild(s) but I guess I love them.

Tommo
Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: 29 Sep 2017 07:57

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Tommo » 03 Oct 2018 08:57

great mix of concerns and thoughts from many different view points.

My thoughts after reading these conversations would now be..

Making this change risks up to 50% of the games population- no one has said they would leave if the nerf wasn't implemented.
The game is playing well as it is now with the "bug" in place- there is a concern that people are getting too big to fast however and some items of eq are too easy to get hold of. I think the game is playing well so what if people grow through a lot of grinding? We have a quest cap which controls brute in place which means regardless people can only get to a certain size in practice . A simple way to let the game "grow" as I mentioned in my first post would be to add 5% exp requirement per mortal level to advance- This would mean it would again be a real challenge to get tp myth (and harder to move through all levels) meaning regardless of the slightly quicker than intended growth of players, they would now be really challenged to top out once more. A few simple tweaks to the MOBS with the best gear to make them more of a challenge then problem solved.

a nerf may encourage bigger teams (I disagree big teams are a logistical nightmare and if the population drops they will be really hard to form, they can be hard to form now even)

A nerf MAY encourage role play- I disagree people who want to focus on RP can now- this nerf would just remove the enjoyment from people who prefer to hunt and grow- Each to their own but both playing types should be equally respected.

I agree with all the people that have said keep as it, focus on the balance issues we have now, and then perhaps look at a change as I mention above to make eq mobs a challenge again PLUS make it harder to max out mortal levels, should keep everyone happy (yeah right)

Tommo

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1394
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Amberlee » 03 Oct 2018 09:30

Greneth wrote:
Drazson wrote:This is utterly insulting, in all seriousness. Casters that have been overtuned asked to stay that way or it will be "unplayable". There are guilds 20000 leagues under that "unplayable" state you are talking about right now that are believed to be under the same balance edict. I need to use 50% hp and 50% mana to solo a black wight at expert (on the verge to RH) and you're talking about soloing dragons. I'm trying very hard to stay nice here but seriously shut your trap.
Not that I don't agree but with the nerf you really wouldn't be able to kill those wights :P

erh?
You can pretty much grind those wights continuously as a veteran merc + pirate.
Check your facts.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Drazson
Expert
Posts: 285
Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Drazson » 03 Oct 2018 09:59

Amberlee wrote:erh?
You can pretty much grind those wights continuously as a veteran merc + pirate.
Check your facts.
You are just too focused on your own viewpoint to read what I actually wrote instead of what you think I'm discussing. I never said "I can't find any melee setup to solo black wights". I said I can't with my current one (which includes BM layman which I hate . Yet, I have to be one in order to barely solo black wights on the verge of RH instead of idk, orc fortress in Sparkle)

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/