If the game were nerfed ...

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

If a balance bug-fix nerfed all specials, spells, and heal effects to 37% of current power levels:

Good move - I'd keep playing, even though I'd be weaker
35
43%
Not sure - I'd see what it was like, might stay, might not.
19
23%
Hate it - I don't want to be weaker! I would quit.
28
34%
 
Total votes: 82

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1378
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Amberlee » 03 Oct 2018 10:36

Drazson wrote:
Amberlee wrote:erh?
You can pretty much grind those wights continuously as a veteran merc + pirate.
Check your facts.
You are just too focused on your own viewpoint to read what I actually wrote instead of what you think I'm discussing. I never said "I can't find any melee setup to solo black wights". I said I can't with my current one (which includes BM layman which I hate . Yet, I have to be one in order to barely solo black wights on the verge of RH instead of idk, orc fortress in Sparkle)
And you should realize I was refuting Greneth and not commenting on you soloing a black wight.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

User avatar
Drazson
Expert
Posts: 263
Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Drazson » 03 Oct 2018 10:43

Amberlee wrote:
Drazson wrote:
Amberlee wrote:erh?
You can pretty much grind those wights continuously as a veteran merc + pirate.
Check your facts.
You are just too focused on your own viewpoint to read what I actually wrote instead of what you think I'm discussing. I never said "I can't find any melee setup to solo black wights". I said I can't with my current one (which includes BM layman which I hate . Yet, I have to be one in order to barely solo black wights on the verge of RH instead of idk, orc fortress in Sparkle)
And you should realize I was refuting Greneth and not commenting on you soloing a black wight.
Who was ans.. Nevermind, hf.

TripleM
Greenhorne
Posts: 5
Joined: 19 Sep 2018 13:53

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by TripleM » 03 Oct 2018 13:12

I do think a nerf will in the long run cost a lot of players from the existing population, because grindspeed goes down to 1/3 of what people are used to. The risk in dying from trying to gain combat-experience slowly, may make it a whole less worth your while.

For truly new players it will become much more harder to reach legend/myth while a large part of the population already reached that stage. It might make it more special when you finally do, but people might quit because it will become virtually impossible to do. For instance: Finding bigger players who will share combat-exp they already get a low speed, may become even more challenging.

Personally I would like the side-effect that teaming becomes more essential for playing the game. But in order to make that work (2-3 player teams need to be replaced with at least 6 player teams to be able to kill the same stuff) the game would need a growth of the playerbase in order to gather those teams. I seriously doubt that will happen when the proposed nerf takes place. So I dont see this positive side-effect really happening.

Will I quit playing? Not immediately, but I do fear I will find out that the game will become too tough/no longer fun to play because people go AWOL.

Daerin
Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: 04 Aug 2018 17:32

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Daerin » 03 Oct 2018 14:38

btw, why would casters be unplayable?

A caster is supposed to be weak, look at all the dnd and other rpg, casters needs to be protected by others.
They will still do good damage, better than I do and they would still have defensive options I don't, so........Where's the problem?
If they wouldn't have all those defensive/protections/ways to improve themself or weaken their foe, THEN I could understand it since damage is all you would be able to do but that is not the case.


Unplayable, there will still be many guilds out there worse off than you if this "nerf" is made, btw it isn't a nerf it is fixing a bug that people has been taking advantage off. Well, except those that are in guilds that don't really have any damage special.

User avatar
Arman
Wizard
Posts: 522
Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Arman » 03 Oct 2018 14:45

sylphan wrote: There has been no response on the part of wizards to casters' concerns about the devaluation of the one single thing that makes us viable: special damage. Negate that, and ask us to accept that non-casters now have a greater proportion of their damage coming from white hits, while we have virtually no white-hit damage? I don't see why I would.
Magic offensive spell damage formula currently takes into account a loss in white damage and incorporates that into the spell caid. Magic guilds have -in the standardised magic system- never in a practical sense 'lost' caid from not doing white damage. That wouldn't change.

Greneth
Great Adventurer
Posts: 168
Joined: 30 Aug 2017 19:55

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Greneth » 03 Oct 2018 15:01

Amberlee wrote:
Drazson wrote:
Amberlee wrote:erh?
You can pretty much grind those wights continuously as a veteran merc + pirate.
Check your facts.
You are just too focused on your own viewpoint to read what I actually wrote instead of what you think I'm discussing. I never said "I can't find any melee setup to solo black wights". I said I can't with my current one (which includes BM layman which I hate . Yet, I have to be one in order to barely solo black wights on the verge of RH instead of idk, orc fortress in Sparkle)
And you should realize I was refuting Greneth and not commenting on you soloing a black wight.
Check what facts? He said he couldn't do the wights but wanted the nerf. All I said is I'm not against what you said but with the nerf you really wouldnt be able to do them. Why do I care about what a Merc Pirate can do, has nothing to do with him or our convo.

Gub
Adventurer
Posts: 93
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 08:07

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Gub » 03 Oct 2018 18:12

How you rebalance this is just as important as if you'd rebalance this.

If you rebalance things are you going to first change the percentages and then set out to rebalance the guilds? If so thats a little concerning. Are we talking about years of rebalancing the guilds again? How long do you think it would take to rebalance the game (guilds and all) if this change was made?

User avatar
Luma
Adept
Posts: 101
Joined: 12 Feb 2017 06:07
Location: Studying spell scrolls

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Luma » 03 Oct 2018 18:35

Daerin wrote:btw, why would casters be unplayable?

A caster is supposed to be weak, look at all the dnd and other rpg, casters needs to be protected by others.
They will still do good damage, better than I do and they would still have defensive options I don't, so........Where's the problem?
If they wouldn't have all those defensive/protections/ways to improve themself or weaken their foe, THEN I could understand it since damage is all you would be able to do but that is not the case.


Unplayable, there will still be many guilds out there worse off than you if this "nerf" is made, btw it isn't a nerf it is fixing a bug that people has been taking advantage off. Well, except those that are in guilds that don't really have any damage special.
As you say, casters are supposed to do lots of damage and be protected by others, glass cannons. Even a caster that focuses on defensive spells still is less effective than a tank of the same size.

To clarify, all offensive spells are considered specials and would decrease in power to 37% w/the nerf. Because casters don't do very much damage w/weapons, almost all of their damage comes from spells. To put it simply, casters just do 63% less damage.

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1780
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Draugor » 03 Oct 2018 19:49

Luma wrote:
Daerin wrote:btw, why would casters be unplayable?

A caster is supposed to be weak, look at all the dnd and other rpg, casters needs to be protected by others.
They will still do good damage, better than I do and they would still have defensive options I don't, so........Where's the problem?
If they wouldn't have all those defensive/protections/ways to improve themself or weaken their foe, THEN I could understand it since damage is all you would be able to do but that is not the case.


Unplayable, there will still be many guilds out there worse off than you if this "nerf" is made, btw it isn't a nerf it is fixing a bug that people has been taking advantage off. Well, except those that are in guilds that don't really have any damage special.
As you say, casters are supposed to do lots of damage and be protected by others, glass cannons. Even a caster that focuses on defensive spells still is less effective than a tank of the same size.

To clarify, all offensive spells are considered specials and would decrease in power to 37% w/the nerf. Because casters don't do very much damage w/weapons, almost all of their damage comes from spells. To put it simply, casters just do 63% less damage.
Naa, I'm certain that its included in the calculation of spelldamage etc, now gogo powernerf :D Lets nuke combat xp while we're at it, people will be pissed anyways :}

Johnny
Veteran
Posts: 224
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 09:33
Location: Washington State

Re: If the game were nerfed ...

Post by Johnny » 04 Oct 2018 18:51

People mention that things will need to be rebalanced if the special nerf comes. Wouldn't this nerf help bring balance to Genesis so combat formulas work as intended...mostly?

Anyways, I see this change widening the size gap, PvE and PvP alike. It wouldn't widen the gap in regards to it being tougher to get bigger faster. If you quest, grind and most importantly, do not die, you will grow decently fast. If you're like me and test the solo limits of your character and die about once a month then it takes longer to grow. The size gap I'm thinking is the marginal combat worth you have fighting someone or something larger than you.

From what I've experienced so far, size (and equipment but mostly size) is the cure all for most Genesis combat woes. See the WoW South Park episode for a comedic example. Season 10, episode 8.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/