Alignment of grinding areas

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the Immortals review alignment of grinding areas?

Yes, there should be more grind areas that are neutral.
65%
I don't have an opinion either way.
12%
No, let's allow evil players to have more areas than goodies.
23%

Total votes: 26

Manglor
Rising Hero

Alignment of grinding areas

Post by Manglor » 05 Oct 2018 18:34

Recent conversation in the Genesis Discord chat prompted me to reconsider my stance on different areas of the game and the alignment of the monsters inhabiting them.

Admittedly, the idea was sparked because of Ghastly Keep's unusual alignment, where the auto-attacking undead are completely neutral. I completely understand the point of view that says "GK is the best grinding zone in the game and we want it to be for everyone." But what about those whose alignment we just accept as it is?

For example, two extremely good areas for myths to grind, Qualinesti and Fangorn's inhabitants are very holy. Since the Keep's opening, virtually no one goes to these areas, despite them being very competitive on the "XP/hr" front. This leaves only GK and Mithas as truly neutral "highly rewarding" grinding areas. This also takes another area from goodies, since certain players like to "live" in the Keep, regardless of their character's alignment.

So, should the Immortals review this and allow more flexibility in grind areas? Please vote and comment below!

Kvator
Champion

Re: Alignment of grinding areas

Post by Kvator » 05 Oct 2018 18:40

add centaurs to the mix - possibly best 'lazy-grinding' place for rising hero-champion chars (overall it's waaaaay easier to advance up to legend as evil char*)

* unless you are grinding with ur myth-friends exclusively (but then align doesn't matter that much anyway)

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 05 Oct 2018 18:44

Kvator wrote:add centaurs to the mix - possibly best 'lazy-grinding' place for rising hero-champion chars (overall it's waaaaay easier to advance up to legend as evil char*)

* unless you are grinding with ur myth-friends exclusively (but then align doesn't matter that much anyway)
Great point! I wrote it coming from a myth but I absolutely agree.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 05 Oct 2018 19:04

Tbh switch all but "guild" areas like plains/guildguards to neutral, good and evil are a matter of perspective anyways, like the evil kniggits think they are doing a good thing in fighting the dark queen whom is suppose to rule :P

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 05 Oct 2018 20:32

I'm with Draugor on this one. I'd like to see Genesis move away from the alignment system and more towards a faction system. Alignment should still be a thing but I feel like it's a bit restrictive.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 06 Oct 2018 04:15

This would be less of an issue if guilds didn't protect swaths of NPCs outside their guildhalls.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 06 Oct 2018 10:39

I voted option 3 - I would like to see more grind areas for evils. Also, I agree that Ghastly Keep alignment should be changed - the undead ghosts of former residents should be ultra-holy, and the witch and dragon should be slightly evil. They (the witch and dragon) did, after all, enslave those poor souls who trusted them and let them inside the Keep, that's why they are a little bit hostile now to newcomers and attack first, ask questions later.

However, I digress. Somehow, despite your claims that the world is "rigged against the goodies" as an evil character I have to go and visit Kalaman on a daily basis. Besides grinding for xp, there is also equipment that we need to collect in order to grind, and that is held by overwhelmingly-evil population of NPCs. Usually the bosses are guarded by a swath of smaller, but still very evil minions, remember, not everyone can become invisible and sneak past the guards like you do, or just pop out of a wet spot on the floor, some of us need to kill dozens of evil npcs to get the evil boss to only find out that the boss decided to spawn up without that one thing we are looking for. Admittedly, the situation has become better recently, so instead of visiting Kalaman 2-3-4 times every day, I only do it once now.

My point? Also make some good magical gear spawn on good-aligned npcs, guarded by other good-aligned npcs! That way we (evils) can be in the same position as 'goodies' - go hunt gear AND not ruin our alignment.

p.s. It's great to see my 'fanclub' grow every day!

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 06 Oct 2018 11:25

Mersereau wrote:This would be less of an issue if guilds didn't protect swaths of NPCs outside their guildhalls.
So guilds shouldn't be guilds to ease grinding?

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 06 Oct 2018 11:31

Zugzug wrote:However, I digress. Somehow, despite your claims that the world is "rigged against the goodies" as an evil character I have to go and visit Kalaman on a daily basis.
Here's the thing: Goodies, generally speaking, won't go grinding somewhere that wrecks their alignment that bad, forcing them to kill Verminaard multiple times a day. The penalties can be quite severe for many good-aligned guilds, beyond simply "forgetting to fix your align before you log." I do get your point, though.
Zugzug wrote:My point? Also make some good magical gear spawn on good-aligned npcs, guarded by other good-aligned npcs! That way we (evils) can be in the same position as 'goodies' - go hunt gear AND not ruin our alignment.
I absolutely agree. Or, better still, remove alignment altogether.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 06 Oct 2018 14:41

Zugzug wrote:I voted option 3 - I would like to see more grind areas for evils. Also, I agree that Ghastly Keep alignment should be changed - the undead ghosts of former residents should be ultra-holy, and the witch and dragon should be slightly evil. They (the witch and dragon) did, after all, enslave those poor souls who trusted them and let them inside the Keep, that's why they are a little bit hostile now to newcomers and attack first, ask questions later.

However, I digress. Somehow, despite your claims that the world is "rigged against the goodies" as an evil character I have to go and visit Kalaman on a daily basis. Besides grinding for xp, there is also equipment that we need to collect in order to grind, and that is held by overwhelmingly-evil population of NPCs. Usually the bosses are guarded by a swath of smaller, but still very evil minions, remember, not everyone can become invisible and sneak past the guards like you do, or just pop out of a wet spot on the floor, some of us need to kill dozens of evil npcs to get the evil boss to only find out that the boss decided to spawn up without that one thing we are looking for. Admittedly, the situation has become better recently, so instead of visiting Kalaman 2-3-4 times every day, I only do it once now.

My point? Also make some good magical gear spawn on good-aligned npcs, guarded by other good-aligned npcs! That way we (evils) can be in the same position as 'goodies' - go hunt gear AND not ruin our alignment.

p.s. It's great to see my 'fanclub' grow every day!
Ohh good you've mentioned how easy it is to maintain evil align (just few npcs in Kalaman to hit damned) when compared with good one (whole barrow downs at least to hit holy).

Thanks for the input! :D

(and also I agree that align should be removed from the game and replaced with faction system and maybe some outlaw lists for crimes in towns etc)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/