Malus' post on Sparkle board not on the forum?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Daerin
Apprentice

Re: Malus' post on Sparkle board not on the forum?

Post by Daerin » 17 Oct 2018 17:07

rant-mode ON

What I get from this thread is that Genesis should be more honest and stop claiming it is a roleplaying game, it is a action game.

No matter how much you roleplay you will not catch up with those that don't "waste" their time doing it and just run a script with a buddy while watching a movie.

Sure rp is in itself rewarding, when doing it with others but the game itself don't give anything for it. A rp that gets killed might need several months to recover while a grinder of the same size needs a couple of weeks. This means that no one that dont enjoy grinding will ever get involved in guild wars or other fun but risky things, it will cost them too much.

This leads to a so called rp-game where the grinders can walk around and threaten, kill, harrass none-grinders, within the rules of the game, without the none-grinder will ever be able to stand up to him/her.

This has made it so that more none-grinder players has left the game then grinders staying and STILL the game 100% caters to the grinders. Now the none-grinders are a minority and soon there will be no more of them.

Consider that.

Rant-mode Off

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 17 Oct 2018 17:53

I really don't know what's the problem.

You want to rp? Do it.
You want to grind? Do it.
You want to do both? Do it.

This "I can't grind effectively.....please purge all!!!" attitude is quite lame. Especially now when auto-hunt is illegal (so "big bully argument" is no longer valid) and game is muuuch easier (you can hit champion, which is pretty decent title, in about 10 days).

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 17 Oct 2018 17:57

Dhez wrote:I think Malus' argument wasn't about the text found in 'help rules' not being applied, but rather how those rules don't reflect what he understands are the fundamental aspects of the game
yeah I see it as a rules vs. spirit thing
but it's hard to regulate 'spirit.'

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 17 Oct 2018 18:14

Raelle wrote:
Dhez wrote:I think Malus' argument wasn't about the text found in 'help rules' not being applied, but rather how those rules don't reflect what he understands are the fundamental aspects of the game
yeah I see it as a rules vs. spirit thing
but it's hard to regulate 'spirit.'
Pun intended? :P
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 17 Oct 2018 18:58

ha!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 17 Oct 2018 19:23

I'll go ahead and clarify something. When I said that I felt that Malus has very accurately described things, I was referring to the problems we have with how scripting affects the game, and the difficulty we have had agreeing on a solution from a design perspective. I do not agree with his characterizations of the wizard Administration as not caring about the problem, offering preferential treatment to some scripters because they are old players, or desiring to establish Genesis as a primarily scripter-based Mud. No, those characterizations are deeply inaccurate.

But he has accurately described the fact that scripting has a negative impact on the game in numerous ways. He has accurately described the fact that the design of the game gives scripters both incentive and reward for their behavior. He has accurately described that fact that I, as Keeper, did not like his suggestions for fixing the problem. I would never have brought that to a public board for discussion, but he seems to have wanted to - so there it is. Sour grapes, apparently.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 17 Oct 2018 19:38

Thank you for the clarification, Gorboth.

I was responding to the implication of Gorboth's characterizing Malus's post as "very accurately" describing the situation. Logically, that would include what Malus said about preferential treatment, which I explicitly stated.

Anyway, thank you for the explicit response, G.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 17 Oct 2018 21:26

If you make it so it doesnt take 1-2+ years for someone dedicated to hit Myth this all becomes a moot point.

Add more quests
Adjust exp tiers for levels
Adjust the gain when a player hits the softcap
Done.

Everyone is so focused on levels, even when they hit Myth the focus is completely on getting that power level over 9000. I cant express how excited I was to hear of the little bit of PvP going on.

I've also been in guilds that were completely suppressed by another due to levels too. It's not fun, even trying to RP it out. Complaining about the lack of deterrence on scripting just doesnt work, if you make the importance of it drop people will quit doing it.

The biggest thing that guild leaders for some reason refuse to do and it annoys the hell out of me is bringing the alliance back. You could RP as a Vet against a Myth way back when it was active because if you messed with one guild you messed with them all. But for some retarded reason the leaders of good guilds just cant get their shit together and ally up again.

Knights tried and basically got told "We dont wanna get involved"

So if you're in a goodie guild and complaining about PvP/RP go look at whose leading the Rangers, Calians, Neidars. Cause they are the ones who turned down the alliance this last time, kick them in the butt.

Just my 2 cc.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 19 Oct 2018 02:16

Kvator wrote:I really don't know what's the problem.

You want to rp? Do it.
You want to grind? Do it.
You want to do both? Do it.

This "I can't grind effectively.....please purge all!!!" attitude is quite lame.
This.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 19 Oct 2018 02:19

I'm still confused by the OP.

Does he want triggers removed?
Does he want the client removed?
Does he want merely an RP chatline?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/