Is death or EQ-loss worse?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

If you die and can't recover you EQ, which penalty is the worst?

Losing one fifth of your combat XP.
73%
Losing your EQ.
28%

Total votes: 40

Yeren
Apprentice

Re: Is death or EQ-loss worse?

Post by Yeren » 02 Jul 2020 20:09

I tend to agree that the penalties should not be changed.

But I know how hard loosing equipment can hurt, especially when you put a lot of effort into getting imbues... I think you oversee one certain valid reason for pk which is looting the target’s eq.

For me personally it is a very nice and tempting thing. Sometimes extremely rewarding.

So if we were to change anything I would say: let the person killed in pvp retain their stuff, but also enable the killer to have it (duplication). I understand this could lead to abuse so we’d need another brainstorm session to address it...

Mavros
Wizard

Post by Mavros » 02 Jul 2020 20:21

Yeren wrote:
02 Jul 2020 20:09
I tend to agree that the penalties should not be changed.

But I know how hard loosing equipment can hurt, especially when you put a lot of effort into getting imbues... I think you oversee one certain valid reason for pk which is looting the target’s eq.

For me personally it is a very nice and tempting thing. Sometimes extremely rewarding.

So if we were to change anything I would say: let the person killed in pvp retain their stuff, but also enable the killer to have it (duplication). I understand this could lead to abuse so we’d need another brainstorm session to address it...
That's an interesting idea. Maybe the winner of said duel wouldn't get a copy of everything the loser has, maybe simply a random piece of gear they had on them.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Jul 2020 23:18

Yeren/Mavros: I don't think duplicates would work, it's just just too abusable. But one of the ideas I've been considering is letting the killer pick ONE item from the corpse, and the rest are protected. Or the opposite, letting players protect one item that can't be looted if they die. Either by default, or as part of some sort of insurance service.

An insurance system could also be used for XP loss. For example, you pay a fee in money or gems (or both), and then you'll be protected for one death, meaning you'll only lose 1/10th instead of 1/5th if you die. Obviously you'd have to pay again after suffering a death in order to keep your insurance. The fee should be really high of course, but also based on mortal level. So, the bigger you are, the more expensive it'll be. Perhaps it also goes up for each death, which makes sense, since if you're at high risk of dying it'll cost more :)

I definitely think there must be a penalty, but the penalty must both make it worth it to kill someone, but not so harsh that the that the victim wants to quit the game forever. Have we found the sweetspot already? I don't know, personally I would be leaning towards a smaller penalty for PVP deaths than what we have now. All your EQ, all your herbs, all your spell components, 1/5th of your combat XP... I think it's a lot of punishment combined, especially for bigger players.

A PVP death is usually worse than a PVE death as it is now, since EQ loss is more or less guaranteed in PVP, while it's relatively unlikely in PVE deaths.

Tarlok
Apprentice

Post by Tarlok » 02 Jul 2020 23:26

Said death protection fee is only payable in gold coins on Golden Isle, requiring dozens of burdensome trips. Which of course presents great opportunity for killing people at max encumbrance carrying the gold for the insurance. I love it.

Mavros
Wizard

Post by Mavros » 02 Jul 2020 23:37

Having money be used to mitigate the negative effects of death could increase the usefulness of money for larger players in particular (the ones who've maxed out their skills). Several players I've listened to often remark that they've got no use for money unless it's for imbues. Having money be more important could add ease the sense of futility some players have that concerns grinding, as the income from grinding now has the added purpose of preventing the consequences of your next death.

Bocephus
Beginner

Post by Bocephus » 03 Jul 2020 03:24

No more insurances plz, seems we get guilted into having to pay insurance for everything these days. You buy anything and they are trying to sell you an extended warranty on top. of topic sorry

On the PvP kills and eq lose i think it would be a fair compromise that the killer gets to keep what ever armours are worn or weapons wielded but packs and all else saved on person so you then also dont have to go and find your corpse and have the killers standing there waiting for you.
Just a thought

In answer to Chereks original question i always think its the Eq that hurts the most, especially if you are not of the size that you can simply run around and collect the good stuff by yourself and then the added cost of replacing imbues

Yeren
Apprentice

Post by Yeren » 03 Jul 2020 08:09

I like the Last post a lot: weapons and armour lootable, rest stays with the corpse!

Yes herbs and ingredients cost a ton of players time...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 03 Jul 2020 09:48

Mavros wrote:
02 Jul 2020 23:37
Having money be used to mitigate the negative effects of death could increase the usefulness of money for larger players in particular (the ones who've maxed out their skills). Several players I've listened to often remark that they've got no use for money unless it's for imbues. Having money be more important could add ease the sense of futility some players have that concerns grinding, as the income from grinding now has the added purpose of preventing the consequences of your next death.
Maybe we should also add epic mounts that cost hundreds of thousands of plats? If RF could get to ride a direwolf instead of a regular wolf it could be a sign of prestige. Athas has a really nice mount possibilities: giant rhinoceros beetles, hyenas, kanks, giant warthogs and SAND SHARKS.

Maybe we could also look into adding flying mounts that work similar to DA dragons? Pegasi, gryffins, hippogryphs, giant eagles and such (maybe unicorns that can teleport?).

The possibilities are many and I think that for once in Genesis history we should probably focus on adding more stuff to the game that's not related to combat in any way.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 03 Jul 2020 10:11

Tarlok wrote:
02 Jul 2020 23:26
Said death protection fee is only payable in gold coins on Golden Isle, requiring dozens of burdensome trips. Which of course presents great opportunity for killing people at max encumbrance carrying the gold for the insurance. I love it.
Good thing there's a bank on the Golden Isle then. :lol:
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Mavros
Wizard

Post by Mavros » 03 Jul 2020 18:25

Zhar wrote:
03 Jul 2020 09:48
Mavros wrote:
02 Jul 2020 23:37
Maybe we should also add epic mounts that cost hundreds of thousands of plats? If RF could get to ride a direwolf instead of a regular wolf it could be a sign of prestige. Athas has a really nice mount possibilities: giant rhinoceros beetles, hyenas, kanks, giant warthogs and SAND SHARKS.

Maybe we could also look into adding flying mounts that work similar to DA dragons? Pegasi, gryffins, hippogryphs, giant eagles and such (maybe unicorns that can teleport?).

The possibilities are many and I think that for once in Genesis history we should probably focus on adding more stuff to the game that's not related to combat in any way.
I like this idea.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/