What killed the PvP?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mavros
Wizard

Re: What killed the PvP?

Post by Mavros » 03 Jul 2020 21:12

Drazson wrote:
03 Jul 2020 20:07
Mavros wrote:
03 Jul 2020 18:31
[...]implement something very similar to attacks of opportunity[...]
Oh that's a simple idea which sounds great. It sounds like magic guilds would miss out which might be totally fine, unless they could assign cantrips or something. But that's adjustable, I like it a lot overall :)
Mavros wrote:
03 Jul 2020 18:31
[...]There would also be a small chance of a trail of blood being left in your wake, allowing you to be tracked.[...]
Ooh. That's nice. Niche, nice. Might be too scriptable to follow it, sadly.
Could you tell me more about what you mean by scriptable?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 03 Jul 2020 23:46

Mavros wrote:
03 Jul 2020 21:12
Could you tell me more about what you mean by scriptable?
Well, if there are some wordings like "There is a trail of blood leading (\w+).$" or whatever, then you can probably set the minimum timeout and trigger something that tracks them down to the end of the earth iterating upon the path? Not sure about the combat cooldown though I might be talking nonsense.

Anyway, it's a distant issue, if one at all. I just thought I'd mention it.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 04 Jul 2020 21:50

Kvator wrote:
03 Jul 2020 16:24
Zhar wrote:
03 Jul 2020 15:20
There was this one MUD that I forgot the name of which even had different travel speeds, so you could run, jog, walk etc. and it would change the time it takes for you to travel but cost more stamina. Maybe something like that could be a solution (you can run without delay but you get tired really fast) but then we'd have to also factor in the mounts and such.
Arkadia - surprised that you forgot its name since most of ur ideas come from there xD and yes -> pvp system on that mud is great (for a text game)
Actually, it was not Arkadia that I've had in mind. It was some weird and super complex MUD where you could travel at different speeds and you would see stuff travelling faster pass you by. Even in combat there you started at some range from each other and you had to close in. I remember it had some crazy name (I don't think it was Merentha though).
Drazson wrote:
03 Jul 2020 20:10
Block always felt like a bad skill. Of course I see the reasons. I was wondering though, maybe it makes more sense for rogue-types to block others from escaping, giving them yet another niche to be irrelevant with :D (saying this in a positive spirit towards a better rogue/ranger life for everybody)
I think that block skill isn't the answer. Looking at PvP in more "regular" MMOs the biggest tools for PKing are hard roots, stuns, paralyzes and other stuff that makes your opponent unable to fully control their character for some time. Then chaining those disables becomes a skill in itself. We could definitely use more hard knockdowns and stuns that prevent you from moving around.

And on the note of goblin race superiority, how about we turn DIS into CHArisma that influences your brute (kinda like qexp modifier so when your cexp/qexp ratio is calculated it's more like cexp/(cha*qexp)). This would make gobbos still superior in combat but get less exp from killing. I'm choke full of crazy ideas :P
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Mavros
Wizard

Post by Mavros » 04 Jul 2020 22:03

One good idea that I've heard being thrown around is to remove the dex handicap on dwarves to give a good-aligned alternative to goblins. That way it's not just goblins running the whole PvP scene.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 04 Jul 2020 23:54

Mavros wrote:
04 Jul 2020 22:03
One good idea that I've heard being thrown around is to remove the dex handicap on dwarves
Yes, that is a splendid idea!
But we also need to balance out the 30 years dwarves have suffered.
Let us compress 30 years of imbalance to lets say 5 years in the opposite direction.
Who could argue and wine to such a game change?

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 05 Jul 2020 13:25

I would try this: If engaged in combat, your movement to a different room takes approximatey 2 seconds. That second may be reduced or increased depending on factors like, encumberance etc.

That should induce some hunting / running scenarios that doesnt include 'runbacktoguildonabutton'-incidents.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Jul 2020 13:30

Nerull wrote:
05 Jul 2020 13:25
I would try this: If engaged in combat, your movement to a different room takes approximatey 2 seconds. That second may be reduced or increased depending on factors like, encumberance etc.

That should induce some hunting / running scenarios that doesnt include 'runbacktoguildonabutton'-incidents.
Yeah, we've discussed many variants before and I also think something along those lines would be a good "simple" global solution. However, one of the reasons it has not been implemented is that right now the "battlefield" is very uneven, and implementing something like this feels dangerous without first making PVP a bit more fair.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 05 Jul 2020 17:20

Another thing we could do that shouldn't be too hard to implement and could solve some of the issues is adding a heavy fatigue penalty when leaving combat and increased stamina consumption when under the effects of adrenaline.

The biggest issue here would be mounts and not really even accessibility for them between guilds. Perhaps we could make it that when you're trying to leave combat while mounted you automatically fall off or that you have a chance of falling off (and getting stunned) from your mount in combat based on your riding skills (why is it that only kniggets can fall off their mounts?).

I would really like for the mounts to be used primarily for moving between places out of combat and should be used in combat only by trained professionals instead of being free and huge stamina sinks for everyone.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 05 Jul 2020 19:27

I do wonder how big a percentage of the players that want more PvP?

Nice of you to want to encourage and better PvP, but if the players don't want it...
It will then be a huge waste of time that could be spent elsewhere.
Perhaps in making the playing field more level.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 05 Jul 2020 22:18

I think that if PvP would be more viable it could level up the playing field since smaller players could gank up on those at the top to bring them down to level.

Currently I don't think it's really possible to kill supermyths (or any player that has some size) if they are not AFK.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/