Time for a Purge?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Skythus
Adventurer

Time for a Purge?

Post by Skythus » 09 Dec 2020 08:01

Eyrinphists, Scinternace. Joscelinda, Hildigunnr

These are names that are ten or more characters. While not unusual, I can guarantee no one wants to call these people by their full names and, in my mind, is indicative that we have too many people taking the good names. Would it be feasible. or in our best interest as a community to shorten the character limit for names, and delete characters that have been inactive for three or more years?

Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: Time for a Purge?

Post by Thalric » 09 Dec 2020 09:19

What a horrible and extremely stupid request.

If you don't want to write long names, don't.
Shouldn't be other people's problem that you find it annoying.

And deleting old characters? That's just moronic. (I am not talking newbies)
Last edited by Thalric on 09 Dec 2020 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 09 Dec 2020 12:48

The last purge of abandoned chars was more than 2 years ago so it is probably time again.

Edit: 17 000 unfinished / unused (young) chars were purged. So a lot of names are now free.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 09 Dec 2020 21:56

Thalric wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:19

Well I had to tone it down a bit from removing Kender as NPCs and shutting down the "Secret" Society of Uncle Trapspringer, which would still be a global quality-of-life improvement.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 09 Dec 2020 22:09

In all seriousness, if names continue to stay long/inconvenient, it may be a good idea to increase the number of nicknames. In person, you may have one or two nicknames per person you know. Thirty nicknames to compensate for the one-hundred twenty two names I have memorized feels a bit silly.

Scinternace
Novice

Post by Scinternace » 09 Dec 2020 22:23

edit
Last edited by Scinternace on 10 Dec 2020 03:52, edited 2 times in total.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 09 Dec 2020 22:28

Thalric wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:19

For once we agree wholeheartedly.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Dec 2020 02:12

We won't purge old characters other than the ones Cotillion purges now and then. That is, very young and quickly abandoned characters that haven't logged in for a long time. We of course won't purge any real characters, regardless of how long they have been gone. I mean, we have people returning after 10, 15, 20, or even 25 years... That someone hasn't played Genesis for a couple of years only means they're taking a break. You're a Genesis player for life! :)

As for the name length. I think the current limit is good as it is. Not too long, not too short. I would not object to raising the limit for how many nicknames you can have, if that is something players feel they need. As far as I can see, the limit right now is 30. Personally I've never come close to reaching it, but... maybe people feel 30 is too few?

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 10 Dec 2020 07:18

Cherek wrote:
10 Dec 2020 02:12
As far as I can see, the limit right now is 30. Personally I've never come close to reaching it, but... maybe people feel 30 is too few?
Personally, I have had twenty-six nicks assigned and the rest are converted to mudlet or genesis aliases to compensate. It's a minor gripe that has a minor fix but the convenience increases with player count. 30 nicks for an average of 33 players is fine. When it hits 60-100? It makes things a bit easier.

edit: twenty six, all of which I use regularly

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 10 Dec 2020 08:47

I never had an issue with the <nick> cap that I can remember (in general, alias and nick cap raising would probably be welcome by anyone, but I only ever filled my aliases) yet I have to believe that Skythus's post was intententionally on the troll side and should be moved to Cornucopia.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/