Time for a Purge?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Skythus
Adventurer

Re: Time for a Purge?

Post by Skythus » 28 Dec 2020 20:52

50 nicks! 🥂

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 Dec 2020 18:26

Thanks Cotillion!

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 24 Jun 2021 01:30

I know I have a bad habit of posting on old threads but come on, maureenenn and hisssss... what is wrong with those names?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 26 Jun 2021 18:46

Sibbedidenn wrote:
24 Jun 2021 01:30
I know I have a bad habit of posting on old threads but come on, maureenenn and hisssss... what is wrong with those names?
Apparently people have a hard time typing them correctly every time they want to "say to maureenanne" etc. Hence nicks, like "say to sib" which would be translated to "say to sibbedidenn".

This just reminded me to mail Cot about disabling nick parsing in the say/ask/whisper body. This can get confusing and is hella annoying for me but I'm not sure how others feel about it.

Example:

Code: Select all

nick kill kill!
say We can kill it.

You say: We can kill! it.
I know that it's popular for people who participate in pvp to nick kill and assist into kill! and assist! but then it looks weird when talking about it.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 04 Jul 2021 18:34

Zhar wrote:
26 Jun 2021 18:46
Sibbedidenn wrote:
24 Jun 2021 01:30
Apparently people have a hard time typing them correctly every time they want to "say to maureenanne" etc. Hence nicks, like "say to sib" which would be translated to "say to sibbedidenn".

This just reminded me to mail Cot about disabling nick parsing in the say/ask/whisper body. This can get confusing and is hella annoying for me but I'm not sure how others feel about it.

Example:

Code: Select all

nick kill kill!
say We can kill it.

You say: We can kill! it.
I know that it's popular for people who participate in pvp to nick kill and assist into kill! and assist! but then it looks weird when talking about it.
Seems like incorrect usage of nick vs alias. What you're describing is the exact reason for nick as described in help nick:
EXAMPLE
'nick gls golden longsword' will make you manipulate the 'golden
longsword' if you use 'gls' in a command, for instance when typing
'exa gls' or 'give gls to dwarf'.
Substitute 'say to dwarf check out this gls' for 'give gls to dwarf' and you've got the same usage of nick.

Meanwhile, what you describe is more akin to alias:
EXAMPLE
'alias intro introduce me' will make you do 'introduce me' if you
give the command 'intro'. By default the rest of the command you give
will be added to the end, so if you type 'intro to Mercade' it will
be as if you typed 'introduce me to Mercade'.

'alias brace hug %% firmly' will make you 'hug Mercade firmly' when
you type 'brace Mercade'.
So, PVPers should be aliasing kill! and assist! as kill and assist rather than nicking them, if they don't want that behavior.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/