Alignment

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Re: Alignment

Post by Drazson » 23 Jan 2021 18:30

The right approach is to fix what hinders you instead of accepting it. It gets worse and worse. You might think it's not that bad but it will be getting worse and worse and only worse.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 24 Jan 2021 12:20

nils wrote:
23 Jan 2021 07:39
Kvator wrote:
23 Jan 2021 06:31
not about moving from damned to holy (although it's silly that's it is so much easier to go damned than holy)
Is it though? Really?

I guess from a neutral and fair game design point of view it makes sense to give equal burdens to both directions of alignment mobility, but if you add a slight 'real world-perspective', it's not so silly at all.

After all, gaining trust is harder than losing it, right? It's easier to lose a close friendship than create one?

You've been a valiant and holy Knight your whole life, but then one day you chop the head off an infant in a public square, effectively ruining your reputation and damaging your honor severely (losing align quickly). Shouldn't it be harder to regain your status as a holy knight than say simply murdering an orc and call it even (gaining align quickly)?
If there's downside due to 'real world perspective' then there should be perks to make up for that (evils not being able to use public services like shops, smiths, ships - or have to pay heavy price for these, being attacked on sight by strong npc's like town guards and so on).

Btw - what should happen with Knight/Ranger that is killing infants in secrecy? If we add 'real world-perspective' there then I guess he shouldn't be auto-punished for such a thing?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 Jan 2021 16:00

Drazson wrote:
23 Jan 2021 18:30
The right approach is to fix what hinders you instead of accepting it. It gets worse and worse. You might think it's not that bad but it will be getting worse and worse and only worse.
What is getting worse and worse...?

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 25 Jan 2021 18:01

Nils wrote:
You've been a valiant and holy Knight your whole life, but then one day you chop the head off an infant in a public square, effectively ruining your reputation and damaging your honor severely (losing align quickly). Shouldn't it be harder to regain your status as a holy knight than say simply murdering an orc and call it even (gaining align quickly)?
It's easy to sit on the flip side, as evil, and come up with arguments why goodies should have it hard while one self have easy-mode.

I'd be able to put the same argument :

Wouldn't it make sense that evil troops slaughtering other evil troops like haradrims, or neraka guards would get a huge negative impact - weakening the very army one is part of ? I mean, if the roleplay is so pressing from one perspective it should be from both perspectives, so a morgul mage running amok slaughtering undeads in ghastly keep would be heavily punished for slaughtering other brethen non-breathers.... Why is it only the goodies being penalized roleplaywise while evils can do what the F*** they want... it should run both ways or no ways.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 25 Jan 2021 19:03

Dan wrote:
25 Jan 2021 18:01
It's easy to sit on the flip side, as evil, and come up with arguments why goodies should have it hard while one self have easy-mode.

I'm like.. losing faith in humanity here. That wasn't my fucking opinion, more than an attempt to explain the logic behind how it is currently to someone who stated they didn't understand it.

Here's -MY- opinion about it.
nils wrote:
06 Jan 2021 16:17
From another post
nils wrote:
04 Oct 2019 17:19
I've always had issues with how alignment is determined in Genesis, and if it were up to me it would be elective at character creation, with possibility of changing it upon death, same as one can change race.
I can't be bothered to get all philosophical about this (pearls before swine etc). but this "simple" fix would solve a lot of our problems. Sure new ones would arise, but the way I see it alignment is in your "heart" and is an opportunity to roleplay and neccessarily limits guild choice, questing opportunities etc.

Even so, it should definitely not be a measure of who you've been mass murdering lately.

Try reading the whole thread next time you want to put words in my mouth or assume I'm "biased" towards evils just because I happen to play an evil character.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/