Alignment

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Thalric
Rising Hero

Alignment

Post by Thalric » 31 Dec 2020 15:14

Is it in the books of planning, to look at why it is 20+ times easier to become evil-aligned as it is to become good-aligned?

It is quite frustrating. If it should be even, terel trolls should take you from damned to holy if you get kills on the whole cave. Then it sort of adds up to ents or qualinesti elves.

That sounds fair to me. Then add it to dark elves and all the other slightly evil npc's also.
Then evils will also have to begin thinking where to go, and where it's not possible.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Alignment

Post by Cherek » 31 Dec 2020 17:18

It's been discussed many times. I think we were pretty close to making a change a while ago, but, for some reason this suggestion was iced for a while. I don't remember exactly why, but I guess something else got in the way.

In my opinion, it would be good for game balance if going from good to evil, and from evil to good, took the same amount of time and worked the same way. Thematically/logically, the current system makes sense of course. Once you start murdering innocent people you become evil quickly, while it takes much longer to redeem yourself and become good. But to better balance good/evil in Genesis, it would likely be better if it is the same both ways.

It's definitely still a possibility, question is, what kind of negative side-effects have we not thought about?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 31 Dec 2020 20:19

Cherek wrote:
31 Dec 2020 17:18
It's definitely still a possibility, question is, what kind of negative side-effects have we not thought about?
Sftp/ssh mount or magically connect into the thing, navigate to the file(s), edit said file(s) and change the numbers within and save, give it a small yet reasonable amount of time and we will all know.

I'm weird about my creations as well but holy(hehe) shit you guys. Holy shit.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 31 Dec 2020 21:20

fixes kender to evil
breaks kender guild

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 31 Dec 2020 21:37

Any changes to how align works should include a look into align-restricted weapons. Currently, there is an align check when you wield only. So in many cases a damned character can walk around with a holy sword as long as he wielded it as good-aligned when he logged in, and get the full benefit of the weapon.
With 14 day armas and no rules against idling with gear ... it is easy to work around some things.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 31 Dec 2020 22:00

I would like to see that, but do not disagree. Many of my neutral friends dip in and out of alignment requirements and only realize upon unwielding to use a lamp or something.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 01 Jan 2021 02:04

Cherek wrote:
It's been discussed many times. I think we were pretty close to making a change a while ago, but, for some reason this suggestion was iced for a while. I don't remember exactly why, but I guess something else got in the way.

In my opinion, it would be good for game balance if going from good to evil, and from evil to good, took the same amount of time and worked the same way. Thematically/logically, the current system makes sense of course. Once you start murdering innocent people you become evil quickly, while it takes much longer to redeem yourself and become good. But to better balance good/evil in Genesis, it would likely be better if it is the same both ways.

Stop murdering those innocent trolls in Terel!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Jan 2021 12:19

Drazson wrote:
31 Dec 2020 20:19
Cherek wrote:
Sftp/ssh mount or magically connect into the thing, navigate to the file(s), edit said file(s) and change the numbers within and save, give it a small yet reasonable amount of time and we will all know.

I'm weird about my creations as well but holy(hehe) shit you guys. Holy shit.
Huh? If i understand you correctly, you think we should just give it a go and see what happens, instead of trying to anticipate any negative effects beforehand?

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 01 Jan 2021 14:28

Cherek wrote:
...Thematically/logically, the current system makes sense of course. Once you start murdering innocent people you become evil quickly, while it takes much longer to redeem yourself and become good.
Yeah. But if you're holy your whole life and have a certain reputation of a holy warrior and hero of folk songs as a proper Knight (using example) and some bedelling guy sees a threat and you kill him before you can even move (cause you simply do to much damage or have a defense trigger), should the good folk not be hestitant to believe as well that their hero would be capable of such thing? Excellent reputation should be just as hard to lose as terrible one. :)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 01 Jan 2021 16:38

Cherek wrote:
01 Jan 2021 12:19
Huh? If i understand you correctly, you think we should just give it a go and see what happens, instead of trying to anticipate any negative effects beforehand?
In essence, "Yes for the love of god yes!".

You can consider what could happen depending on the change, of course, but nothing should be able to disable you from doing small balance changes. In the same vein that changing the colour of the button in these forums shouldn't be able to create a totally irrelevant bug like being unable to quote people in your posts or something rediculous, changing the mob's align should not be able to be game breaking in any way. If it is, there are bigger issues to look at or the code holds you hostage.

The same should be true for making some particular mob have more attack or less health. or (for example) realizing that glads lack a bit of damage and giving their special a 5% damage buff to make things better.

All such changes should be compartmentalized and easy to make, but they seem to be considered as life altering events to be treated with caution.

Happy new year everybody :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/