Recruitment?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kjartan
Beginner

Re: Recruitment?

Post by Kjartan » 03 Feb 2021 06:46

My problem is not the effort it would take to type things, but that I am too weak to take things out from the backpack… … … or do you say that selling things “… from backpack” doesn’t have this issue? If so this might be a game changer. But… honestly how would one even get this idea? How did you find out? I absolutely have to try this the next time I go to give backpacks another try.

Currently I circumvent the money problems by just collecting imbued items (I was told scripts are allowed as long as you are actively watching the screen, so I was able to “speed things up a bit”) and do now about 10 imbued items per day (my work is purely in front of screens and as long as I don’t have to type permanently enough of my real work gets done). So the backpack is currently not necessary, and the players which are even newer than me get a lot of loot as well - win-win. The progress is a nice bonus.

But I’m afraid we slowly drift away from the topic. Anyway, I hope the wizards got somewhat an idea of our daily problems, what we need, and what it is that drives us crazy (and probably away to other games).

Oloriel
Novice

Post by Oloriel » 12 Feb 2021 02:28

I kind of wanted to comment here too, since I'm new to Genesis but not really new to MUDs.

I definitely agree there's a feeling of being "out in the cold" once you complete a particular stage of the game, not just the initial tutorial but outgrowing the orc dungeon too. I'm not sure handing new players more money or experience would help, I've personally been able to earn plenty of money (at least, once I set up speed walking on my client, so maybe some simple in-game speed walking would be nice, eg. "run to sparkle" or something).

For me, since I like to roleplay, I wonder a bit whether I belong here. I'm not sure where to find people to interact with most of the time, and the lack of free emotes is a bummer. Not just a theoretical bummer either, I was looking for a way to shake my head no, and couldn't find one (in the middle of roleplaying). If predefined emotes are Genesis's thing, they should probably be improved a bit eg. a way to preview an emote, search for an emote, etc.

Personally I think it should just be easier to have free emotes. If there is worry of abuse, perhaps there could be stages, eg. 1st level free emotes look like "(Emote) So-and-so does something neat." with their name always prefixed so you know who did it, and as players earn trust from the system, they can be allowed more free form options. If I wanted to ignore player culture, I could already just do "say *does something neat*" anyway, but not having the option kind of tells me this might not be my kind of game.

Edit: I've also wished to "sell X in backpack" so much. I overload mine until I can't get anything from it, sometimes!

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 12 Feb 2021 02:57

help topics
help emotes

shake your head = disagree

I do believe the "help topics" command should be made VERY obvious somewhere in the tutorial.
Tons of information can be found there.

Oloriel
Novice

Post by Oloriel » 12 Feb 2021 03:03

I saw disagree, but it was a yes/no question. I didn't want to risk it mid-scene. ^^;

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 12 Feb 2021 05:24

Re: emoting - Reasonably sophisticated free emoting was part of an 'actors club' for a while before being moved to another club (the 'Wise Ones'), giving players invested in the game for a certain number of game days such emoting permissions.

It is an ability that has been abused... not just inappropriate behavioural emotes but also masking text actions. So we do put rules around its use and log all open emoting.

I don't see it as a huge issue. We have a pretty large bank of global emotes and adverb options, and almost every guild has guild-specific emotes they can draw from that are thematic.

Having said that we want Genesis to be a sandbox for players to roleplay and don't want players to feel limited in their emoting. You are not alone in enjoying to roleplay Oloriel :). So if there are emotes that you feel are really lacking in the game let us know... we can look at adding them globally or to specific guilds (the latter option being far easier!).

Re: new player experience. It sounds like we do need to 'sign post' better and provide more guidance and reason for new players to head to certain areas after they complete the enchanters quests. Should we more clearly point new players towards hunting areas suited to them? So quests or tasks that send them to places like the kobolds outside Last, or the Sarn Ford orcs, or the dwarf caverns west of Palanthas? Or to some of the quest masters suited to smaller players like in Solace or the gypsy camp?

Oloriel
Novice

Post by Oloriel » 12 Feb 2021 06:02

The emotion bank argument is actually in favor of handcrafted emotes either way you look at it.

Either it is incomplete and thus cannot handle everything, in which case handcrafted emotes can serve to fill that gap...

Or it is too big for any player to reasonably remember every option, at which point it becomes a burden that gets in the way of roleplay.

I've personally found most MUDs accomplish both these problems at once, and Genesis is no exception. You could add a million emotes to handle every possible situation, but if I cannot fluently use them, they may as well not exist.

I've found most MUDs avoid allowing abuse by differentiating emotes as well as who did the emote. Many use colors for these things, but there are other ways too.

I've barely roleplayed and already miss them from literally every other roleplaying game out there. I doubt I'll stick around 2400 hours in hopes of unlocking a basic feature of any roleplaying game.

(Edit: Plus built-in emotes so far have been pretty unreliable. Like, another newbie is staring dreamily at me but I'm fairly certain they mean to be staring in disbelief, etc.)

Edit2: Thanks for the response, but I've in fact used it to determine Genesis is not for me!

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 12 Feb 2021 08:09

No problems. All the best finding a MUD that best suits your play style.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 12 Feb 2021 08:47

Arman wrote:
12 Feb 2021 05:24
Re: new player experience. It sounds like we do need to 'sign post' better and provide more guidance and reason for new players to head to certain areas after they complete the enchanters quests. Should we more clearly point new players towards hunting areas suited to them? So quests or tasks that send them to places like the kobolds outside Last, or the Sarn Ford orcs, or the dwarf caverns west of Palanthas? Or to some of the quest masters suited to smaller players like in Solace or the gypsy camp?
I think we could maybe add a bounty hunter NPC or a board to Sparkle that would list "troublesome" areas that need regular clearing of enemies and relative player size required (this up to veteran level maybe, at this stage people stop being considered newbies and should be able to find stuff on their own).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 12 Feb 2021 10:32

Yeah i think a bounty office could work nicely...

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 12 Feb 2021 11:20

Re: Bounty Hunters Office.

Good idea with a centralized place that helps newbies on places to go kill

There is/was such an office in Northern Terel, in the port of Last I think, an old one. Maybe close it or move it to Sparkle (also to avoid confusion with old redundant things if you plan a utility solution in Sparkle).
Lawful evil - conform or die.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/