Recruitment?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Re: Recruitment?

Post by Zhar » 12 Feb 2021 21:36

I think there could be 2 boards. 1 with places to kill and one with directions to other questmasters like Tarshir, Hernan, Aunty etc.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 12 Feb 2021 22:00

Perhaps this could fill the ever so empty southern room in base level of Tower of Realms? Sounds like an excellent idea to me! Nice one, Zhar!
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 12 Feb 2021 22:04

Zhar wrote:
12 Feb 2021 21:36
I think there could be 2 boards. 1 with places to kill and one with directions to other questmasters like Tarshir, Hernan, Aunty etc.
Not sure if they are mutually exclusive but Menerial in Green Oaks has that role already.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 13 Feb 2021 13:01

Drazson wrote:
12 Feb 2021 22:04
Zhar wrote:
12 Feb 2021 21:36
Not sure if they are mutually exclusive but Menerial in Green Oaks has that role already.
The problem with Menerial is that she presents it as a long blurt of speech when you finish her questline and doesn't really provide any details. An extra board or an NPC in Sparkle that would be a permanent source of info and directions would be better in my opinion.

Kjartan
Beginner

Post by Kjartan » 13 Feb 2021 17:19

Newbie experience: I think Menerial is fine - but maybe should tell about(or even send to, as part of a new quest) only one new questmaster. As a newbie it would have felt far more as a pointer what to do next/ where to continue. The long blurt of speech felt a lot more like a “general information” which will be relevant eventually but not necessarily right then (as a newbie: “for sure, those are too much options to be meant to be done already”).

Areficent
Greenhorne

Post by Areficent » 16 Feb 2021 17:24

Perhaps in this instance, Carlsan could be of some use? Maybe that check list quest that he gives at the end includes quests fron Tarshir, Aunty, Hunthor, etc? Maybe asking him “tarshir” will make him to say something along the lines “head to the docks and take the ship to New Ports, then find the town of Solace... etc. etc.”

It would mean that the check list quest would be way longer as some of the latter quests given by some these quest-givers can be harder at lower levels, but... Most don’t complete the census task until the later stages of early game or even mid-game either way. Increasing the experience gained from the check list quest would also not be bad in that case, if it takes up to 30 or more quests to complete it. :D

Love the idea of a board! But why not include one for after-veteran players? I know plenty of those who are even up to hero/titan in size who stuck to what they know and never found out about better options until they asked someone. I see why they are not considered newbies, but some of them who choose not to socialize that much might not be aware of where they can hunt at their mortal sizes...

And yes, I am aware a list exists here on the forums (and maybe other places). But it takes some digging to find it, and even so, not everyone visits the forums/discord in the first place...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 16 Feb 2021 17:33

The general premise of the game is that once you're veteran you should be self-sufficient enough. It's about time for people to graduate to some proper OCC guild where they will meet experienced players who can guide them further along the path.

I know it's nice to be carefree Mercenary, independent of alignment, politics and not having to socialize but all this freedom comes at a cost of not really having people around you that can help you grow and expand your knowledge of the Realms since you're not in their trusted circle of guild-mates. It's a very hard work to discover everything on your own without guidance. Especially once you grow to around titan (as you can just not leave Gont from veteran to titan and find good xp and money) and you need to look for new hunting grounds.

Nawnny
Novice

Post by Nawnny » 06 Mar 2021 19:01

I know I am a little late to the discussion. But this is truly the first complete thread I've read on the forum.

I am almost 100% new to this type of game. I dabbled for a couple of days when I was younger but never took the time to even get through tutorials. And I don't really use discord and rarely look at forums. So far Genesis has really left an impression on me, and I've only been here for a very short window.

There are some really valid points here about being lost when you come out of the tutorial, especially since everything was literally spelled out for you. I know I was at a complete loss. Had no idea really how to use emotes, and I still regularly check my new player journal to read something again I may have missed. All that being said, I have found the community here to be extremely welcoming. And helpful when I need it. Some have even been quite generous with coin or equipment.

I know the newbie channel is there to support but I agree that it's limited and that finding things outside of the tutorial is difficult and daunting. I do think the idea of a mentor system is a great idea. Or if not that, and I don't presume to understand anything about how bigger/more experienced players gain things, why not give tasks to newbies from other players?

Using the NPC's such as Carlsan is helpful, but it ends a little abruptly. In the case of Menerial, with the wall of text, I have went back a few times to read it again and was still left feeling lost and not knowing what to do. I have come across other quests just from looking around to see what was in the area, but there's not a lot of information given with them. Which I know is the point to some extent. But utilizing other players to give or get quests, if that's possible, allows further social development and the ability to ask for further guidance if necessary.

Just a thought.

As a new player to Genesis and really, muds in general, I do like what I have found so far.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/