Playable thief skills

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Post Reply

Would you be interested in playable thief-themed content?

Poll ended at 06 Feb 2021 16:41

Yes - Genesis is missing this content
23
82%
No - It isn't something I would be interested in
5
18%
 
Total votes: 28

User avatar
varian
Wizard
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Aug 2015 01:32

Playable thief skills

Post by varian » 30 Jan 2021 16:41

This is NOT a current or ongoing project, but I am curious to hear from the Genesis population (or at least, the part of the Genesis population who reads the forums I suppose) on what the feeling or perception is on the lack (or not) of playable thief skills.

We all know that Genesis focuses a lot on combat vs. npcs for the bulk of xp gain. The question I have is if there would be an appetite (and if so, how large an appetite) for a thief-oriented, essentially non-combat (but NOT non-risk) method of xp gain.

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1525
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Playable thief skills

Post by Amberlee » 30 Jan 2021 20:46

varian wrote:
30 Jan 2021 16:41
This is NOT a current or ongoing project, but I am curious to hear from the Genesis population (or at least, the part of the Genesis population who reads the forums I suppose) on what the feeling or perception is on the lack (or not) of playable thief skills.

We all know that Genesis focuses a lot on combat vs. npcs for the bulk of xp gain. The question I have is if there would be an appetite (and if so, how large an appetite) for a thief-oriented, essentially non-combat (but NOT non-risk) method of xp gain.
Genesis is missing that type of content though I am not sure how it would be implemented.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

User avatar
varian
Wizard
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Aug 2015 01:32

Re: Playable thief skills

Post by varian » 30 Jan 2021 20:52

Amberlee wrote:
30 Jan 2021 20:46
varian wrote:
30 Jan 2021 16:41
This is NOT a current or ongoing project, but I am curious to hear from the Genesis population (or at least, the part of the Genesis population who reads the forums I suppose) on what the feeling or perception is on the lack (or not) of playable thief skills.

We all know that Genesis focuses a lot on combat vs. npcs for the bulk of xp gain. The question I have is if there would be an appetite (and if so, how large an appetite) for a thief-oriented, essentially non-combat (but NOT non-risk) method of xp gain.
Genesis is missing that type of content though I am not sure how it would be implemented.
That's okay, I'm just asking if you think the content is missing or not :)

User avatar
Zhar
Wizard
Posts: 1015
Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09

Re: Playable thief skills

Post by Zhar » 31 Jan 2021 00:49

Technically there is very little xp to be gained for stealing and disarming traps but it's not really a viable way of gaining experience.

My idea of adding thief content was by adding more significant traps and doors without keys to some of the top grind areas as well as maybe locking some of the top eq behind serious chests (or trapped chests).

But that's just the naive approach of making thief skills relevant but not for them to be a viable way of gaining experience. For that I think we would need some form of repeatable, somewhat randomized quests that give general xp where you have to jump on roofs, enter windows, circumvent guards and grab stuff from safes for "quest npc" or something like that. Then we could have a fully fledged OCC thief guild with practically no combat capabilities but still being viable as a way to grow your character. That's a very big undertaking though and it would have to be coordinated across several domains (as I think it would get pretty boring if you could only do that in one city for example).

Just my 2cc.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1525
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Playable thief skills

Post by Amberlee » 31 Jan 2021 01:10

Zhar wrote:
31 Jan 2021 00:49
Technically there is very little xp to be gained for stealing and disarming traps but it's not really a viable way of gaining experience.
Tbh I think stealing shouldn't be rewarded more than it already is.
It is in fact a big enough problem with players stealing as it is, giving them more reward than the trolling and items they steal seems... Not good.
As for disarming traps and such, that should be rewarded yes.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

User avatar
varian
Wizard
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Aug 2015 01:32

Re: Playable thief skills

Post by varian » 31 Jan 2021 02:00

Amberlee wrote:
31 Jan 2021 01:10
Zhar wrote:
31 Jan 2021 00:49
Technically there is very little xp to be gained for stealing and disarming traps but it's not really a viable way of gaining experience.
Tbh I think stealing shouldn't be rewarded more than it already is.
It is in fact a big enough problem with players stealing as it is, giving them more reward than the trolling and items they steal seems... Not good.
As for disarming traps and such, that should be rewarded yes.
I would NOT be advocating to increase the powers of stealing :) But there are several other options too ;)

I just want to see the interest in the playerbase first because it would require asking admin to make some changes near the root level of things to build a foundation first. That means what I have in mind might not be workable, but, if there is enough player interest, it is at least worth pursuing to see if it can be workable.

Rache
Wanderer
Posts: 60
Joined: 05 Aug 2019 22:31
Location: Kaiserslautern

Re: Playable thief skills

Post by Rache » 31 Jan 2021 15:09

I'm all for it, as long as the griefing we've seen lately doesn't increase. I believe the admin has addressed the more glaring issues with it, so I remain hopeful. I think this idea could be really interesting and add a new dimension to the game.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/