Options pvp on/off.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should pvp be optional.

Poll ended at 07 Apr 2021 00:08

Yes
20%
No
56%
Optional, but with areas where pvp is enforced for everyone.
24%

Total votes: 45

Quantum
Adept

Options pvp on/off.

Post by Quantum » 08 Mar 2021 00:08

Good evening everyone,

So it's the big melee change day. Lots of things going live today. Lots of interesting things to test. And we all did.

A lot of it was fun. Nerfing ogres was sad, but I suppose they got too stronk. I hope ogres enjoyed the 2 hours of being gods.

Most of today has been a lot of fun. But seeing that damage outpost has been doubled, certain problematic areas have also arisen. People can now kill each other very very fast. A group of myths can basically delete anyone in a matter of seconds. Even if you are looking straight at your screen, you can die before you really get to do anything. And with an ogre stomp or similar it's a guaranteed death. Which is not fun. Wizords slow, you die. There are so many ways to kill people, and some players may not be here for the pvp. They may be pve oriented.

I know, someone will point out that if you opt out of pvp, people can steal loot and call you names. Well, people are already doing that, and if they are huge players, you can't do anything about it. With this option, they could still steal your loot, but at least you would not get killed if you asked them nicely to return it.

While pvp could be optional globally, I strongly support the notion of "enforced pvp areas". Places like war plains on Krynn and the Holm in Sybarus should always be pvp for anyone daring to enter.

So, for 30 days I have a poll below, should pvp be optional - Yes // No // Only enforced in certain areas.

I am not part of the admin, I am just curious about what Genesis as a whole thinks of this. I am part of several discussion groups, but just hearing people echo your thoughts is not very health. I much prefer more people adding in their opinion.

Discuss! :)

Drazson
Titan

Re: Options pvp on/off.

Post by Drazson » 08 Mar 2021 02:04

I do think there is a strong case to be made for being unable to start fights in some particular areas - maybe you can but guards show up. So I answered "No", quite a lot closer than your "middle" ground option.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 08 Mar 2021 03:56

I think it's a fine option (like intimacy or gift filters), with a huge but...

In my opinion simply being a member of a guild with vested interest (KoS/PoT/DAs/AA/MM/Rangers/Neidar) or beginning participation in Krynn warfare should automatically put you on the PvP list without ability to disable it. Likewise, joining a team of anyone who has PvP enabled should automatically enable it for everyone. If you have PvP disabled you shouldn't also be able to steal and such.

Otherwise it makes no sense in my opinion. If you want to just PvE without being harassed then join one of the neutral guilds. I don't really see someone joining a guild like KoS or DA and then refusing to take part in the war (and don't start arguments like - but I'm there just for the roleplay - in case of guilds mentioned earlier PvP is part of the roleplay).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 08 Mar 2021 09:00

You raise a really good point with the guilds...I think being able to choose pvp on/off yourself if you are in a neutral guild but being forced to do it in certain guilds means you can make a choice, do you want to be part of it or not.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 08 Mar 2021 09:04

And another good idea someone just sent me - Code it so non-pvp flagged people can only loot their own corpses. Or lock a corpse for 1 minute after dying. That completely prevents stealing. And should be fairly easy to code.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 08 Mar 2021 11:25

It's an awful option honestly.
The entirety of Genesis is based around action and consequence.
Now imagine thieves.
How would they work?
Could they just go around stealing constantly?
Or would they have to PvP on and steal?
Then they could just run to a saferoom and idle until they could PvP off again and stand there taunting.
Or you could go on a killing spree.
Say I kill you and your friends and you lot want to get even.
However you can't because I ran to a saferoom and idled until I could unflag for PvP and then I could go on with my merry business until I decided it was time again.
This would honestly ruin what I love about Genesis, flawed as it is it has a sense of actions and consequence that no other game has and taking that away would take away the soul of what Genesis has developed to be over the years.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 08 Mar 2021 13:05

We have rules against harrassment, so you cannot be killed over and over without reason. We have no permadeath. And if you get to your corpse in good time, you can even retrieve all your EQ, which saves on you. The realms are already as hospitable as I would want them to be.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 08 Mar 2021 13:42

sylphan wrote:
08 Mar 2021 13:05
And if you get to your corpse in good time, you can even retrieve all your EQ,
yyyy in PvP?

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 08 Mar 2021 14:38

sylphan wrote:
We have rules against harrassment, so you cannot be killed over and over without reason. We have no permadeath. And if you get to your corpse in good time, you can even retrieve all your EQ, which saves on you. The realms are already as hospitable as I would want them to be.
But you can go on a gank fest and kill alot of small players as the biggest myth in game, with 0 reasons, as thats not harasment that just being an ass.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 08 Mar 2021 16:32

Dan wrote:
08 Mar 2021 14:38
sylphan wrote:
But you can go on a gank fest and kill alot of small players as the biggest myth in game, with 0 reasons, as thats not harasment that just being an ass.
And a lot of people can gang up and gank said biggest myth for no reason as well.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/