Death penalty

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

Death penalty

Post by nils » 09 Apr 2021 18:08

tor wrote:
09 Apr 2021 17:40
I would not play a game without anyone on the other side to brawl with
Sorry for taking it out of context, but..

This particular part is as essential to you as harsh penalty upon death is to me. Most games these days either have no actual repercussions from failing or dying, or provide ample opportunity to save, giving you a way to test something dangerous knowing you could always revert to an earlier stage in the game.

I have a stack full of PS3 and PS4 games that I've finished and forgotten about - all but a few: The Souls games. I absolutely love them, for they instill actual emotions; actual fear and actual sense of achievement after every successful encounter, primarily bosses. The adrenaline rush going in, the sweaty palms during and the sense of accomplishment when successfull or total rage fit when not are what makes a game a game.

For me.

Because, I feel the same way when I play Genesis. While lower during encounters, it's miles higher during PvP. It's very much similar to introducing a artificial stimulant to the body, and equally addictive. You take away the death penalty from this game, and you've basically killed it for me.

In a Souls game you're supposed to learn from dying. Why can't this be true for Genesis too?
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

tor
Apprentice

Re: Death penalty

Post by tor » 09 Apr 2021 18:21

There should be a penalty for pdeath, but certainly not as large a penalty as there is now. For your average myth who isn't free to grind 8+ hours/day, it's a recovery time usually measured in months. This is patently ridiculous for a pvp penalty, and I think the majority of players agree. Dark Souls is not an adequate anology.

I'd even be happy with a compromise. Have you considered incentives for pvp other than satisfaction gained from the suffering of the dead? There are any number of creative ways to introduce some pvp incentives. The loss of gear/imbues which are then gained by your enemy is already a heavy blow - but I agree that the loss of gear alone is not enough.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 09 Apr 2021 18:25

tor wrote:
09 Apr 2021 18:21
There should be a penalty for pdeath, but certainly not as large a penalty as there is now. For your average myth who isn't free to grind 8+ hours/day, it's a recovery time usually measured in months.
The higher you climb, the harder the fall. Hopefully, by the time you've reached said height you're skilled enough to avoid the death - or suffer the lesson.

But sure, I'm in the midst of recovery now and it sucks, maybe a faster recovery is worthy of discussion. Let's say.. double the pace, effectively slashing the recovery time in half?
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 09 Apr 2021 18:30

tor wrote:
There should be a penalty for pdeath, but certainly not as large a penalty as there is now. For your average myth who isn't free to grind 8+ hours/day, it's a recovery time usually measured in months. This is patently ridiculous for a pvp penalty, and I think the majority of players agree. Dark Souls is not an adequate anology.

I'd even be happy with a compromise. Have you considered incentives for pvp other than satisfaction gained from the suffering of the dead? There are any number of creative ways to introduce some pvp incentives. The loss of gear/imbues which are then gained by your enemy is already a heavy blow - but I agree that the loss of gear alone is not enough.
Death xp loss should be recoverable in less than 24 hours of playing time - no matter the size.
As for PVP game should focus on awarding winners instead of punishing losers - because as it's now (if we remove gear part from the debate - because I guess all will agree that it should remaind as it is now in regard to loosing eq) the only award is some sick, grief-related pleasure that I personally do not understand.

Remove xp loss (or make it marginal) add some features to make pvp actually interesting (faster exhaustation and movement delays when engaged in pvp, additional 'hits in the back' at running enemies etc) and I wlll join the fun!

Silon
Beginner

Post by Silon » 09 Apr 2021 18:37

Please remove the death penalty for lil ol me, I'm the worst at pvp :D

This sounds sarcastic as hell. I'm just degrading myself, not making fun of anyone who wants death to have less penalties.
Rolling along in the grease of shame....wait potatoes don't feel shame do they?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 09 Apr 2021 18:55

Kvator wrote:
09 Apr 2021 18:30
tor wrote:

Death xp loss should be recoverable in less than 24 hours of playing time - no matter the size.
As for PVP game should focus on awarding winners instead of punishing losers - because as it's now (if we remove gear part from the debate - because I guess all will agree that it should remaind as it is now in regard to loosing eq) the only award is some sick, grief-related pleasure that I personally do not understand.

Remove xp loss (or make it marginal) add some features to make pvp actually interesting (faster exhaustation and movement delays when engaged in pvp, additional 'hits in the back' at running enemies etc) and I wlll join the fun!

No.
It should still be incremental with actual size.
And honestly it is fine as it is.
Unless you're ungodly big it's easy to recover.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 09 Apr 2021 19:09

Amberlee wrote:
09 Apr 2021 18:55
Unless you're ungodly big it's easy to recover.
Yup it's super easy. It's also super easy to get to 300 average, it just take a lot of time.

Having to spend a lot of time just to recover to where you were before can be discouraging (for bigger players it can take just as much or even more time than Dark Souls walkthrough!).

It's should be easier to kill ppl in pvp (with some added featuers) though.

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 19 Apr 2021 10:12

Kvator wrote:
Latching onto this idea that caught my eye...

What if the death penalty was lifted after a set amount of time in combat?
The time could be adjusted relative to several factors (size, amount of time since last death, relative size to the cause of death, etc). I'd be curious how those of you here would think about this shift to the system.

Disclaimer: I may be a wizard, but I am not in a position to enact a change like this. Nor does my opinion decide what will or will not happen. Just trying to foster some discussion and collect some feedback. Thanks!

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 19 Apr 2021 10:48

Kvator wrote:
Any idea granting even more benefits from idling in a saferoom should be avoided. It already has too many benefits as is.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/