RE: Dormant PvP Abilities that hinders your movement

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

PvP abilities that hinders movement and their place in Genesis.

Poll ended at 09 Jun 2021 16:04

Make them stronger! Lars needs more company.
12%
Keep them as is, I like to be able to kill people.
21%
Weaken them even further, people are dropping like flies out here!
No votes
I think we should disable them for now.
47%
Remove them entirely! Poor Lars..
12%
My ONLY problem is that my guild doesnt have one.
9%

Total votes: 34

Carnak
Wanderer

RE: Dormant PvP Abilities that hinders your movement

Post by Carnak » 02 Jun 2021 16:04

Carnak wrote:
01 Jun 2021 20:17

Code: Select all

Greetings Folks,

The admin has decreed to once again activate the player fighting
abilities which allows you to prevent another from leaving the
room, and we are working to find a uniform balance between them.

You will notice that once-instant abilities now come with an
activation time and the duration has been decreased for most of
the abilities due to the well-known changes to combat intensity.

I wish you all the best of luck!
Carnak
Greetings Folks,

I was seriously surprised by the response we got from enabling PvP abilites (surprised enough to pay the forum a visit). It seems from the current flow of feedback that nobody wants PvP abilities in the current state of Genesis, be it hard core PvP:ers, Role-Players, or anyone inbetween. So I figured we should start a poll to see what the player base actually wanted. What are your thoughts on this?

Best regards,
Carnak

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Re: RE: Dormant PvP Abilities.

Post by Raelle » 02 Jun 2021 16:45

Three months have passed since crowd control measures were disabled and there has been no public communication from the AoB team since then - about anything. It seems arbitrary to reinstate these abilities now when there are so many loose ends dangling around.

Reading back to the original post,
To create a less hostile environment to test these new changes,
we have decided to temporarily disable the ability to hinder a
players movement. This affects spells, abilities and items.
I see that no additional changes were promised, and that CC was disabled so that we could grow accustomed to the new combat system. So I get it, I guess. But we patiently await the rest of this massive reworking.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Jun 2021 17:13

To reinstate them was a request by me. I felt that the new combat system has been around for a pretty long period now, and players have grown used to it by now, so there was no reason to keep them disabled anymore. So, now when Carnak had some more time for Genesis again, I asked him to re-instate them. It's simply about me and Carnak being awake at the same time and having some time to talk it over, and he having time to do the actual work. It happened to be now... It's the same for most changes to be honest, they happen when the right person/people happen to have time. So, yeah I guess it may seem arbitrary from your perspective... but... well, that's how it is :)

Now, since the reaction when these abilities were disabled was negative from many players, I thought re-enabling them (but rebalanced) would be a welcome fix. I am just as surprised as Carnak about the reaction, because it seems like several players, on both sides of the current conflict, and of different align, are unhappy with enabling them again. Even some players in guilds who are likely to benefit the most seem to not want their abilities back.

So... yeah. Cast your vote. If the vast majority of players don't want these abilities around, we can of course disable them again. Temporarily or permanently.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 02 Jun 2021 17:24

I read "PvP abilities" but those never got disabled - just some that prevent movement.
So what exactly is the vote about? What does "disabling PvP abilities" mean? Removing PvP as a whole from Genesis?
The question and therefore the options too are fairly unclear to me :)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Jun 2021 17:40

Redblade wrote:
02 Jun 2021 17:24
I read "PvP abilities" but those never got disabled - just some that prevent movement.
So what exactly is the vote about? What does "disabling PvP abilities" mean? Removing PvP as a whole from Genesis?
The question and therefore the options too are fairly unclear to me :)
But the first sentence in Carnak's post speficy what this is about?

"The admin has decreed to once again activate the player fighting abilities which allows you to prevent another from leaving the room..."

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 02 Jun 2021 17:42

Maybe I am just dense... but... :D
So, you're solely speaking about movement-preventing PvP abilities? Better be clear than vote on something I didn't understand well (same as my note about annoying questions on the rules nextdoor thread) :D

Well yes, but then the post says "PvP abilities" and normally I would interpret that as all PvP abilities.
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Jun 2021 17:57

Redblade wrote:
02 Jun 2021 17:42
Maybe I am just dense... but... :D
So, you're solely speaking about movement-preventing PvP abilities? Better be clear than vote on something I didn't understand well (same as my note about annoying questions on the rules nextdoor thread) :D

Well yes, but then the post says "PvP abilities" and normally I would interpret that as all PvP abilities.
Very well, I took the liberty and changed the header of Carnak's post and the poll header. Hopefully it's more clear now?

tor
Apprentice

Re: RE: Dormant PvP Abilities that hinders your movement

Post by tor » 02 Jun 2021 18:11

There's no "remove/drastically reduce pdeath exp penalty and expand pvp metagame/blocking+hunting abilities" option, so I chose to leave the abilities as-is.

An old-fashioned game trying to survive in 2021 should not have a death penalty that it takes months to recover from. It is possible to encourage pvp/make pvp fun without it being something that everyone dreads and even prevents people from logging in for fear of losing months of hard work.

"But players are becoming too large and we need controls on their size!" - Ok, so control player size. Cap stat average at the current largest player or slightly beyond that. Alternatively, make the soft cap more severe by making the exp gain curve much steeper than it is after a certain stat average.

Then, slowly add in end-game content, starting with what wizards are already working on. End game content for Genesis can be fun & rewarding pvp, player housing, war system in Middle Earth, more regular random events like the attacks on Vingaard Keep and Iron Delving, but for all players to participate in. PVP rewards such as titles, items, temporary guild-specific benefits, pets/mounts/trinkets etc. Maybe even pvp restricted areas.

All of this represents a lot of work, I know, but start with the major change of eliminating the pvp death exp penalty and capping player size (or at least greatly reducing the exp gained at extremely violent). Then introduce the subsequent end-game content at whatever pace the coders are comfortable with. You'll see less stressful, fun, and engaging end-game pvp system start to form in Genesis over the next couple of years.

cyork2
Beginner

Post by cyork2 » 02 Jun 2021 18:46

I voted against this and in it's current state I would vote against allowing PVP at all. Genesis is not an easy game where you all jump into a world with an equal chance to run grab a gun fight it out and then start over every 15 minutes. In my personal experience, no RP game that has a levelling grind and equipment grind gameplay experience has a PVP system that made the game better (for me at least). I feel that fighting by proxy, war zones where players kill NPCs to take areas for example, is a sufficient outlet for that more direct competition.

All the examples I can think of where someone deserves to be killed by a player, and there are many, could be handled other ways.

Avo

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 02 Jun 2021 18:51

Hard to vote when you dont know what the meaning of "balanced" abilities is, guess i will find out soon enough.

On a side note, if all caster guilds get pvp hindering abilites why not all melee? There are plenty of creative ways to implement this and I dont buy the "it is in the lore, not everyone should have it etc".

Edit: HA! I should have read all the options, that is my ONLY problem :D

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/