Activity

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Re: Activity

Post by Drazson » 17 Jun 2021 18:36

It's not about excuses in my opinion, I think you're simply wrong. If we wanted to play the game as-is we wouldn't be rampantly discussing miriads of ideas and wishes.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 17 Jun 2021 21:37

Drazson wrote:
17 Jun 2021 18:36
It's not about excuses in my opinion, I think you're simply wrong. If we wanted to play the game as-is we wouldn't be rampantly discussing miriads of ideas and wishes.
Discussing ideas and changes is one thing.
Drastically changing how things work in the game is another.
I am all for change, but it needs to be better change and not change for the sake of change.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Jun 2021 01:06

Amberlee: Do you really think we are changing things for the sake of changing? I don't think you do? Clearly we disagree on what is a good change and what is a bad change here, but ask 50 players and you'll get 25 different answers. _ANY_ change will likely cause a number of unhappy players who liked it better before. While at the same time, _NOT_ changing anything will also cause a number of unhappy players who don't like things as they are... Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Jun 2021 01:12

Amberlee wrote:
17 Jun 2021 18:10
Cherek wrote:
17 Jun 2021 16:52
Don't die down to change stats because of the DIS change. The magic system is NOT finished yet. Going suicidal now might be a decision you end up regretting later.

About changes to the game causing players to leave, that's unfortunate of course, but this is a process that takes time. I still think these are changes we need for the long term success of the game, even if it means we (hopefully temporarily) lose some players right now. This year will be a year of changes, with more coming, and hopefully the player numbers will recover as players hopefully start enjoying a better balanced and more fair game when we are done.

Amberlee: Despite pretty serious googling I couldn't find anything really negative about the Jump to LIghtspeed patch. It seems like it was generally received well, and many mention it as a highlight of the game's lifespan. Apprently it won an award for best expansion pack too. Sounds like I am googling the wrong thing...?
Check out the NGE (New Game Enhancements) part.

Improvements is all well and good but it should be building upon the already existing framework, not completely shattering it and making it play completely different.
You have done the latter and for the most part it has not been well received.
What does this tell you?
You are bleeding players if only casual players.
Just listen to what Dan said.
This game is way too punishing to be as fast paced as it is now, and it is way too time consuming to change drastically.
Face it, the game is an anachronism and the people playing it likes it that way.
We will never see huge numbers of people come by and actively play again, those days are gone.
There are way too many free MMO's out there that you can play casually without really investing too much time and money into it.
Yadayadayada "We are free to play and don't have wizard.", I know and that doesn't matter when things like these are rushed and half-baked.

Anyway that was my rant for today.
I know it will fall on deaf ears and there will be 5000 excuses.
I don't know what you define as "huge numbers", but if I didn't believe we could get more players to play Genesis actively and having fun doing it, I would resign as Keeper right away and do something else with my time. Maybe some players just see Genesis is a nostalgic thing you run in the background while doing other stuff, but that's not really what I would like Genesis to be. So, instead of doing nothing, we're giving it a shot to see if we can get a better game, bump up activity levels, and get more players who want to actively play the game. I fully realize we'll lose some players on the way, but I'd rather give it a shot and risk losing some players, than doing nothing and lose players anyway.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 18 Jun 2021 11:47

Make racks great again!
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 19 Jun 2021 22:42

I'm not going to lie, COVID took its toll on all of us and frankly I just don't have the energy I had to put into recruitment and promotion right now with finally being mask-free, my states stores and events opening up plus it being summertime. There is too much camping, bbq, boating, fishing and taking my side by side out for me to put the energy that the game needs right now. Maybe it's selfish but it's where I'm honestly at and I know a lot of others are in similar boats right now.

I was able to prove without a doubt that advertising works wonders in getting our numbers up. And this was ultimately my main goal. Obviously the player increase was nice but at the time I was trying to prove that, hey this can really work and if the game helps sink some money into it we can see that player base increase.

The surges we saw were way more new players than a bunch of old ones returning. The main issue we have is retention rates in the tutorial, something of which I am slowly working on as I can. Me and Cherek have been bouncing a few ideas around and came up with something we like so it'll go through a test pilot phase and we'll see how it does. Expect changes to the tutorial and how we interact with newbies as a whole.

We also got a few things squared away with the Patreon and that should be a thing we see happening this year as well. I've got a few friends who are going to assist us with targeted marketing (Whereas before I just set the ads up like a newbie apparently, this is why its best it was my own money for testing) so that we can better reach an audience who will make those conversions to the game. And this will be something that is completely player-driven, you will get to see your donations keeping this game alive and flourishing which is a really cool thing.

Far as the changes, I don't believe a majority of players dislike it at all. There are definitely some vocal ones out there but overall I have seen more people happy with the direction of the game than not. The problem with changes like this is that most issues people have all tie together. However we're not fixing everything all together and at once, let's be realistic we've never been able to do this approach. We know that combat was an issue, we know racial rebalance is an issue, we know that there are sizing/scaling issues, we know that end game content is a problem and everyone has a different approach on how to fix them. But ultimately I think we can safely say that these things all have issues and are tied in together.

Once all of this is addressed and fleshed out I have confidence that the game will come out in a much better place than it ever was. There are so many wizards working on stuff behind the scenes in the past two years that it's incredible and a lot of things are coming.... by xmas.

**Also, if you are interested in joining the Promotion Team and assisting me feel free to mail me in game. Doesn't even require you being a wizard! Help with social media, events, promoting the game locally, artwork there are many ideas and things that can be done.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 19 Jun 2021 23:57

I still fail to see why melee damage had to be tweaked to begin with.

Sure, the magic vs melee was probably off, but why didn't you just calculate the opposite way and downgrade magic some, while also removing the stat cap on magic use? (Which would likely also have been a lot less work).
Would be annoying for mages for a while, doing less damage. But at least the pvp people wouldn't have given up on that, as combat wouldn't have been so fastpaced that it's almost over before it's begun.

Combat, xp, winning/losing/dying is extremely fast, and the only people I see really benefitting are the really heavy grinders who now get bigger even faster. They are still getting ahead of everyone else, now even more.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 20 Jun 2021 04:52

Why not keep a hacked up system and adjust the magic to it - it was a choice and in terms of sensible coding choices it's the one to make. To be honest, this has all been discussed at length.

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 21 Jun 2021 18:43

nils wrote:
18 Jun 2021 11:47
Make racks great again!
100%

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jun 2021 21:50

nils wrote:
18 Jun 2021 11:47
Make racks great again!
Your racks are pretty great :P
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/