Activity

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Thalric
Expert
Posts: 270
Joined: 14 Jun 2016 16:34

Activity

Post by Thalric » 15 Jun 2021 13:35

So I was thinking.

How has the activity looked since the melee changes was made?
Which guilds are the primary ones, and how many people are playing?

I see that the amount of players from magic guilds are a lot less, and hear that the amount of players have recently fallen.
Is this, you think, because of the changes or just due to spring/summer in the northern hemisphere?
I am sure someone with the data can compare the last months to the time last year.

It might also be that I am just imagining things.
I am being told I do that a lot.

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3210
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Activity

Post by Cherek » 15 Jun 2021 14:13

Guild data isn't readily available and takes a lot of manual work to calculate. I am not going to do that more than once a year... at most... sorry.

Me and Greneth did compare some player numbers, and we're definitely down compared to May/June last year. But it's hard to compare anything to last spring/summer, since we had seriously inflated numbers due to Covid lockdowns. Compared to 2019 (a more normal year), our numbers are down a little bit. But they always tend to go down in May and throughout the summer.

So... are the numbers down because it's summer and because the world is opening up? And people are extra excited to be outdoors this year compared to a normal year? Or did the recent changes influence the numbers too? We also recently stopped the advertising test on Facebook (that Greneth has been running for a while), which has meant a little fewer new players, which also affect the numbers slightly I would imagine.

But regardless, it's a trend we need to try to change.

What's your theory on why numbers are down?

Thalric
Expert
Posts: 270
Joined: 14 Jun 2016 16:34

Re: Activity

Post by Thalric » 15 Jun 2021 15:01

Well, if the magic guild characters stopped playing, while being unable to stay alive due to lack of defensive abilities/skills, and those people don't have other characters they want to play instead, then that is a possibility for lower numbers.

If pvp isn't really possible, in a relatively safe/balanced way due to highly increased damage and therefore some fun warplains skirmishes often results in people dying, those people will be disheartened from playing. Either because they have died, the risk of dying or nobody to fight (perhaps because of those reasons).
That too would lower the numbers.

And of course, an end to a lot of the corona restrictions in social situations, people being allowed to meet and go out to eat and so on, that would lower the numbers as well. Although it probably wouldn't be a static thing, since people still get home at night and have free time to their interests.

Tarlok
Apprentice
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Aug 2018 12:33

Re: Activity

Post by Tarlok » 16 Jun 2021 08:52

White hit genesis isnt very fun. Hope the game continues on despite the changes. Its a shame the wizards couldnt figure out a way to 'balance' gen without turning it into white hit mode. Best of luck Gen. I hope to pop in once in awhile but the allure just isnt there now.

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1536
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Activity

Post by Amberlee » 16 Jun 2021 09:57

Cherek wrote:
15 Jun 2021 14:13
Guild data isn't readily available and takes a lot of manual work to calculate. I am not going to do that more than once a year... at most... sorry.

Me and Greneth did compare some player numbers, and we're definitely down compared to May/June last year. But it's hard to compare anything to last spring/summer, since we had seriously inflated numbers due to Covid lockdowns. Compared to 2019 (a more normal year), our numbers are down a little bit. But they always tend to go down in May and throughout the summer.

So... are the numbers down because it's summer and because the world is opening up? And people are extra excited to be outdoors this year compared to a normal year? Or did the recent changes influence the numbers too? We also recently stopped the advertising test on Facebook (that Greneth has been running for a while), which has meant a little fewer new players, which also affect the numbers slightly I would imagine.

But regardless, it's a trend we need to try to change.

What's your theory on why numbers are down?

Here is my theory.
You changed how the game is played.
As for casters you introduce a new stat that NO ONE has ever focused on and make it pivotal to their strength, meaning they have to die down to reset their stats.
Can you honestly blame them?
You should check out the Star Wars Galaxies patch "Jump to Lightspeed" and how that affected the game and then take lessons from it.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Dan
Wanderer
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2015 10:38

Re: Activity

Post by Dan » 16 Jun 2021 10:26

Game has as described by others turned into a white hit game, with 'specials' being nothing special really.

On top of that, looking away from your computer for 15 seconds, and you're dead, I think many liked casual-genesis playing at work etc, and thats impossible as a griefing asshole with a nuclear bomb will have ganked you while you were disrupted by your boss/girlfriend/cat/dog/tv for a few seconds.

I loved skirmishing in krynn, we had tons of small fights 2-3 knights vs 2-3 of us, battling back and forth and had alot of fun, without many dying. Now, thats impossible.

Hence, as many others, i retired.

Drazson
Hero
Posts: 409
Joined: 24 Jan 2016 21:27

Re: Activity

Post by Drazson » 16 Jun 2021 12:02

Grieving assholes cannot be diluted in such a small pond and nobody will take their nuclears too hehe.

sylphan
Veteran
Posts: 233
Joined: 12 Nov 2017 19:56

Re: Activity

Post by sylphan » 17 Jun 2021 15:02

Amberlee wrote:
16 Jun 2021 09:57
Cherek wrote:
15 Jun 2021 14:13
Guild data isn't readily available and takes a lot of manual work to calculate. I am not going to do that more than once a year... at most... sorry.

Me and Greneth did compare some player numbers, and we're definitely down compared to May/June last year. But it's hard to compare anything to last spring/summer, since we had seriously inflated numbers due to Covid lockdowns. Compared to 2019 (a more normal year), our numbers are down a little bit. But they always tend to go down in May and throughout the summer.

So... are the numbers down because it's summer and because the world is opening up? And people are extra excited to be outdoors this year compared to a normal year? Or did the recent changes influence the numbers too? We also recently stopped the advertising test on Facebook (that Greneth has been running for a while), which has meant a little fewer new players, which also affect the numbers slightly I would imagine.

But regardless, it's a trend we need to try to change.

What's your theory on why numbers are down?

Here is my theory.
You changed how the game is played.
As for casters you introduce a new stat that NO ONE has ever focused on and make it pivotal to their strength, meaning they have to die down to reset their stats.
Can you honestly blame them?
You should check out the Star Wars Galaxies patch "Jump to Lightspeed" and how that affected the game and then take lessons from it.
This is correct.

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3210
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Activity

Post by Cherek » 17 Jun 2021 16:52

Don't die down to change stats because of the DIS change. The magic system is NOT finished yet. Going suicidal now might be a decision you end up regretting later.

About changes to the game causing players to leave, that's unfortunate of course, but this is a process that takes time. I still think these are changes we need for the long term success of the game, even if it means we (hopefully temporarily) lose some players right now. This year will be a year of changes, with more coming, and hopefully the player numbers will recover as players hopefully start enjoying a better balanced and more fair game when we are done.

Amberlee: Despite pretty serious googling I couldn't find anything really negative about the Jump to LIghtspeed patch. It seems like it was generally received well, and many mention it as a highlight of the game's lifespan. Apprently it won an award for best expansion pack too. Sounds like I am googling the wrong thing...?

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1536
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Activity

Post by Amberlee » 17 Jun 2021 18:10

Cherek wrote:
17 Jun 2021 16:52
Don't die down to change stats because of the DIS change. The magic system is NOT finished yet. Going suicidal now might be a decision you end up regretting later.

About changes to the game causing players to leave, that's unfortunate of course, but this is a process that takes time. I still think these are changes we need for the long term success of the game, even if it means we (hopefully temporarily) lose some players right now. This year will be a year of changes, with more coming, and hopefully the player numbers will recover as players hopefully start enjoying a better balanced and more fair game when we are done.

Amberlee: Despite pretty serious googling I couldn't find anything really negative about the Jump to LIghtspeed patch. It seems like it was generally received well, and many mention it as a highlight of the game's lifespan. Apprently it won an award for best expansion pack too. Sounds like I am googling the wrong thing...?
Check out the NGE (New Game Enhancements) part.

Improvements is all well and good but it should be building upon the already existing framework, not completely shattering it and making it play completely different.
You have done the latter and for the most part it has not been well received.
What does this tell you?
You are bleeding players if only casual players.
Just listen to what Dan said.
This game is way too punishing to be as fast paced as it is now, and it is way too time consuming to change drastically.
Face it, the game is an anachronism and the people playing it likes it that way.
We will never see huge numbers of people come by and actively play again, those days are gone.
There are way too many free MMO's out there that you can play casually without really investing too much time and money into it.
Yadayadayada "We are free to play and don't have wizard.", I know and that doesn't matter when things like these are rushed and half-baked.

Anyway that was my rant for today.
I know it will fall on deaf ears and there will be 5000 excuses.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/