Playerkilling

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Bromen
Champion

Re: Playerkilling

Post by Bromen » 11 Mar 2010 12:37

What would be nice is a game wide political system. A substantial amount of storytelling and roleplay surround the fact that sometimes war is unavoidable and a formal (non sparkle board note) public declaration of war is to be made. Perhaps this meeting room can have a permanent peace spell in it. I'd love to be paid to represent guilds to deliver messages to their enemy, but then I think of the dude in 300 that asked for earth and water.

"Ahem, excuse me Rhynox, but Lindros has sent me as an envoy. He has a message for you."

"Bah Bromen, wtf is it this time?"

"I apologize for this on a personal level, but I was paid substantially."

/slap rhynox

"Lindros declares war!"

hold midnight orbs

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,nenenenenenenene,wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, hide, rg, kiss gem.

That would totally get my blood going!

-B

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 12:46

Even if its all out war thats fine as long as both parties are aggressive. (the interesting dynamics don't have to go away)
Some of the most memorable times in the history of the game have been the assasinations and wars.
Some player bullying someone who no longer wants to fight is a different matter.

Aside from tweaking recovery, there is a lot of scope for inventing systems for players to try and police psycho killers themselves and offer the "pac-man protection" (TM Rhynox) to those who want a break from tension of being hunted.

With the lack of crowd control, the ability to speed walk away from combat, sneaking away, some combat portals etc many people have little to fear from being caught and killed if attentive and not lagged.
But fixing that will likely benefit the aggressive players first and foremost.
We also need to fix the "Nob Nar" only in the hands of the few imbalance.

Also I heard a rumour that one guild was planned to get a ressurection spell so that someone killed could be brought back to life by them with no experience loss. Not sure how much truth would be behind that, but I would not be a fan of that sort of idea, particularly in the hands on a single guild and not globally. But I am a fan of people being able to help out with recovery and money-sink recovery for those at war as per the recovery thread.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 11 Mar 2010 12:48

bromen wrote: "Ahem, excuse me Rhynox, but Lindros has sent me as an envoy. He has a message for you."

"Bah Bromen, wtf is it this time?"

"I apologize for this on a personal level, but I was paid substantially."

/slap rhynox

"Lindros declares war!"

hold midnight orbs

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,nenenenenenenene,wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, hide, rg, kiss gem.

That would totally get my blood going!

-B
Hehe, brilliant, thanks!
Should be marked NSFW - I laughed too hard :)

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 11 Mar 2010 13:20

cotillion wrote: I think some of the uncertainty in encounters between guilds has disappeared, guilds and their players are very quick to make people kill-on-sight and pretty much all conflict quickly degrades into an all out war. That's unfortunate.
I'm not sure if this is what you are getting at, but one of the factors in conflicts turning into wars seems to be when Rouge Agent , myth, male kender runs around and kills Pacifist, hero, female goblin, then subsequently kills Equipment Hunter, titan, male elf and finally kills Idle Herbalist, rising hero, female orc, all three being from the same guild. When charges are brought fourth, the punishment never fits the crime. Usually what would happen was the player would get demoted for a week or so, then subsequently repromoted. Or just a loss of skills for a week or so. The 3 players killed may take ages to recover, and most likely will be resigned to quit the game. Pretty much it's a slap in the face to the guild who lost 3 members, and probably will lose others who also would quit the game as not wanting to be next on the chopping block, or just quit the guild. Either way, it's lose-lose.

I'd doubt anything like this would ever come to fruition but when incidents like this occur I'd had a rough idea of a "mortal council of justice" with members representing each occupational guild, that could exact a more reasonable resolution to the situation. I.E. if the guild of the punished didn't do what needed to be done, the mortal council could push the button and throw the bastard and his council who just gave the idiot a slap on the wrist in the pillory for a month or so. Sadly, I probably wouldn't be surprised to see something like this misused or members of that council become inactive, thus rendering this stopgap useless.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 11 Mar 2010 14:35

cotillion wrote:Perhaps we need a level of defeat other than death.
Have players drop their weapons while fleeing from an encounter perhaps? Lose experience?
Knights had mercy and none used it. And I guess people like Lindros would never turn that option on. If I had him at death's door, I would get sure to have mercy off as well ;) Dropping weapons wouldn't work, they would just pack it and then run away. And losing experience would be awful, you would just evade every bigger player around on sight (the smaller characters would be the ones to lose the most as always).

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 Mar 2010 19:41

Well ...

I cannot state how amazed and delighted I am by the workings of this forum. This is *exactly* the sort of productive collaborative spirit that I so very much enjoyed three years ago back on Eden. Amazing stuff!

Rhynox' idea is so simple, one has to wonder how it hasn't been suggested till now. But as with all simple ideas that seem like the perfect answer, that spark of insight has to start somewhere. The Admin all think this is the idea we have been waiting for.

We are moving to implement "Recovery Over Time" for players who suffer a pvp death. The specifics will be announced once we sort it all out. Once again - great work, Genesis community! And, special thanks to Rhynox for this great idea.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 19:51

A simple idea but hard to implement?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 Mar 2010 20:16

Tarax the Terrible wrote:A simple idea but hard to implement?
Strangely, yes! The mechanics of death are old as the hills in the game, but do not differentiate between PvE and PvP. Establishing that a kill was PvP is certainly easy enough, but then one must figure out a way to determine how Recovery Over Time plays out. When does it "stop" functioning? The exp lost at the death must be tracked, and an "end point" for the recovery established. But this becomes further complicated should the player suffer deaths before that point is reached. Even moreso if the deaths are PvE! So ... yes ... implementation requires some tricky stuff.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 11 Mar 2010 20:19

I would imagine there is also the matter of recovering over time + grinding..

lets say.. someone gives up for 1 month (when it would take 3 to get back fully)... or instead.. decides to just casually kill stuff when they are in the mood and focus on RP for awhile... how would that equation work.

Love the idea - btw

Kit's player
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Aeg
Wizard

Post by Aeg » 11 Mar 2010 20:27

What if death freezes your xp absorption instead of taking it away? This would mean that anyone who dies in a pfight would lose xps that they have not yet earned and would not reduce in current size. So an adept who is picked out of his prime would not grow until he got his X#-fantas, then his growing could continue.

Really, all this would do is make someone lose something that they never actually had. You are losing your future! How depressing.

Just an idea. *shrug*

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/