Acceptable behaviour for guild/area guardians.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Makfly
Champion

Re: Acceptable behaviour for guild/area guardians.

Post by Makfly » 28 Apr 2010 16:42

Having Legend players running around killing Wanderers is lame. Plain and simple.

It's has been pointed out time and time again, that if this game is supposed to appeal to new people, we cannot have stupid players abuse the new ones, as they try to get into the game.
There are tons of other options out there on the internet for entertainment, Genesis has alot of competition.
I think saying that the majority of the guilds in this game is off-limits, if you don't accept this type of behaviour is silly. Cutting people off from the majority of the classes in this game, thus also content, unless they accept abuse, is not the way forward if this game wants to attract more new players.
Ofcourse you can argue that Genesis should try and market themselves to the small Free-For-All PvP segment of online gamers, though personally I doubt many of them would find this game interesting, let alone balanced enough to give it a try.

So...Tarax, you're a Final Judge, how about you vote to punish this AA/Templar moron and make sure he doesn't do it again? (If he hasn't already been dealt with by the guild or the Admin)

Admin et al, please try and look at ways to heavily discourage or simply code your way out of these situations. I know you don't want to be the judge in each and every playerkill, and that's fair enough, but do try and look for solutions.

It's nice that Chamdin here, decides to chin-up and carry on playing, not everyone will and most certainly wouldn't if it happens again (and again).
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Acceptable behaviour for guild MEMBERS

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 30 Apr 2010 18:23

Makfly wrote:So...Tarax, you're a Final Judge, how about you vote to punish this AA/Templar moron and make sure he doesn't do it again? (If he hasn't already been dealt with by the guild or the Admin)
I do not know who it is, but I can have a pretty good guess.
As there have been others asking me why did X attack me, or rumours of other unprovoked attacks, across good & evils..
This behaviour is quite rabid, but the chaotic nature of Angmar is something that has long been celebrated by themselves.

So on the forum I the player agree that the behaviour is over the top because he could have damaged the games playerbase. I still really want PvP to have a part in the game. I want a new "Monika" to be able to rise up from the Angmarims and create a reputation inspiring fear and loathing.
I think the death is a negative for any player, but its more about the support that they receive and how others players help them afterwards that makes them stay or leave.. Being pkilled by someone for the first time can become a big part of how that character develops from then on in. It could just be the most interesting event to happen to them to date. But yes it could be taken badly and drive them away.

I think killers need to have a conscious as a player and to try and do some damage limitation.
So bad example of pkilling someone.
The first time I was pkilled on my first ever char I think I was a GA or vet in the old system... Had never provoked anyone.
It was one of those mute & unexplained, someone arrives, you say hi, someone attacks bang bang bang your are dead. WTF just happened???!
I never found out who it was and never got any revenge or well anything. Just kept playing thinking how annoying that was.
I didn't really have any friends or allies I could turn to either. It set me back months of playing, but I was used to dying while questing or being dumb.

It would be good if when someone died there was an option to get help.
Maybe even just to answer questions...
Like Why was I attacked?!!!!!!!!!!
The Newbie line did a pretty good job of that recently, for the Ellydar and Kiara incident..
Killed while trying to sneak into Minas Morgul.

No explanation attacks really shows a lack of class on the killers part.
But with things being difficult to score a kill it was and still is often shoot first talk later.
If they had taken a while to say, "I am Tarax, Your new Worst Nightmare. I have had a bad day and I don't like your face... Run!"
Then cut me down it would have felt more understandable.

But when pfighting/killing I have been guilty of it before myself.
Just taking time out for the character to grin or whatever while fighting.
But that is usually when people already know Tarax is their enemy.
If the explanation before hand was below par I usually try to follow it up with a mail or message afterwards.
Which can be interesting scenarios/interactions as well.
Oltakum and Tarax had a rumble where at the end there was more mutual respect from the previous strangers than anything else.

Anonymous and/or no explanation killings suck.
And if you can't think of an explanation maybe you shouldn't be attacking.
I think people will respect characters who take time out to justify the attack a lot more.

So it is good I can get all that off the chest here on the forum. Show you all my soft center as it where :)

But anything I do in the Game and Guild should be in character so...
Tarax would only really disapprove of soldiers forcing away allies.
He cares little about the fates of potential enemies and is over assured and arrogant about the threats their guilds pose.
In short he would not be moved to attempt to punish anyone for killing Knights who were slaying Orcs in Middle Earth.
There are guidelines that all Soldiers are meant to warn outsiders who do not know the ways of Middle Earth before punishing them for attacking Haradrims or whatever. Some soldiers prefer to let the clubs do the warning.
He may try to improve things there, but in past times such a thing usually only happened when AoP stepped in and rattled their punishment wand at the guild.
So to avoid trouble from the nasty immortals may be a motivation for stamping down on unjustified killings. But does he want to champion such a cause.
If the Knights guild had threatened violence in retaliation and had enough strength to back it up he would advise caution in provoking them further.
But the Knights took no action that I know of, so neither would he.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 30 Apr 2010 19:16

That's an awful long post, full of an awful lot of weak excuses why you don't care to do anything about abusive actions that help diminish the playerbase of the game, and undermine you very own wish to have more PvP (which needs alot more people to work).

This one is my favourite excuse of your post, though:
Tarax wrote:It could just be the most interesting event to happen to them to date
Yeeeap, it just be might be...

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 30 Apr 2010 20:10

Remember that time that useless posts were a pain in the ass Makfly? No you don't? Well you just wrote one that had no significance on the conversation but was just a poor attempt to stir something up. What other amazing wisdom do you have to offer us?

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 30 Apr 2010 21:21

carebears need not apply to the realms.

-B

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 01 May 2010 01:30

Ilrahil wrote:Remember that time that useless posts were a pain in the ass Makfly? No you don't? Well you just wrote one that had no significance on the conversation but was just a poor attempt to stir something up. What other amazing wisdom do you have to offer us?
I don't expect you to agree, or even get the point, but it's right here again, just for you:
me wrote:...abusive actions that help diminish the playerbase of the game, and undermine you very own wish to have more PvP (which needs alot more people to work).
As in, actions as described above, is damaging to the game regardless, for both PvP and PvE minded players.

Now I seriously don't expect Tarax to solve this problem, and I tend to agree with Tarax about mosts stuff about the game in-game and out-of-game. Maybe if I put a smiley in there, it might have helped you, maybe not.

PS: Oh and Bromen if that's how the Admin sees it, it would be nice if they posted it on the log-in screen, so nobody was in doubt, and could just save themselves and the rest of the game the trouble of investing in the game. :)
Honestly though, would be nice to hear some thoughts from the Admin on what kind of game they envision, especially in relations to this most divisive of issues.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 01 May 2010 02:35

Im just looking forwards to the day Tarax bites over more then he can chew :P
And im sure Tarax could be a fun enemy to fight.
Just remember though.. A fun enemy doesnt always kill his target or always win the fight :)
Perfectly acceptable to just beat them a bit up and let them run.. Or get beaten up and run.
Adds a bit of spice :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 01 May 2010 04:24

In MUD, the fun enemy doesn't play explicitly for a win.
IMHO, of course
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 01 May 2010 07:39

Let Gorboth play MM again for a month to reap havoc in ME. That would get me to play a ton lol.

-B

ps. Mak... the point is you know how dangerous the realms can be now so there really is no point in complaining about it, just prepare for it.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 01 May 2010 20:57

tapakah wrote:In MUD, the fun enemy doesn't play explicitly for a win.
IMHO, of course

My point exactly.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/