Disclosure policy?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Disclosure policy?

Post by Rhaegar » 16 May 2010 03:07

The thing I was thinking about, especially seeing some of Ilrahil's posts around here...
What are everyone's thoughts about the full disclosure policy?

What does it mean:
- free sharing of some guild info, within some boundaries of course, secret guilds are such for a reason. What I mean here is technical stuff like guild specials, allowed trainings etc. (stuff, that, in my opinion should be available at the main site), personally I don't see how discussing CoH skills and workings publicly is going to influence the guild in a bad way (it's still the hardest one to find imo), it would gather more interest and perhaps more members this way
- limited quest disclosure, especially with appearance of quest hints. I don't mean downright solutions, but some more specific information as to the whereabouts of the quest giver, required skills etc.

Why?
To avoid the elitism. As it is, most (if not all) of the long time players are in possession of maps, herb maps, guid info (including source code in some cases), item info and quest solutions. Why not give any newcomers that might happen to appear a similar thing?
Would it be really that bad if everyone could see general quest descriptions (without exact paths and commands) at the website? Or if they could view the skills and specials offered by certain guilds? Or as simple a thing as the list of enchanted weapons to be found throughout the realms?

One might argue this will kill the exploration part of the game. I think different, if you know that something valuable is in the certain area, you're more inclined to go explore it than if you were to go there with the 'maybe there is something cool around or maybe I'm just wasting my time' attitude.

To be honest, I think that some of the abusing that people are whining about is because certain (sometimes vital) information is being leaked and then only available to certain people before it gets detected and fixed (which can take some time).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Amberlee
Myth

Re: Disclosure policy?

Post by Amberlee » 16 May 2010 13:41

Actually giving out commands too would be a good thing since many quests have insane obscure commands which make absolutely no sense :p
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Velicus
Apprentice

Post by Velicus » 16 May 2010 15:42

In case the wizards are still under any delusions, quest info has been freely given out-of-game for years. If you want people to do quests on their own, don't make them excessively difficult, hidden, or boring. Most of the quests in the game are one of those things.

Regarding other info, it should not be kept hidden. It could be documented in that nice new library we have in Sparkle. It doesn't need to be lists of facts of figures like the guilds keep, but like an actual library. Lord Calof could have a brief biography that includes mention of his equipment and their rumoured magical abilities. There could even been a scholarly craftsmanship guild with skills in language and magical identification where advancement is gained through contribution to the stacks. Voila.

Velicus

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 16 May 2010 19:54

I still maintain the stance that it should not just be free information giveaway.

Things like magical identification do exist for everyone but they are rare. Otherwise it is limited to a couple of guilds. Quests while I am not entirely against walkthrough's and think the new quest orbs are marvelous.... There should still be an air of mystery about it.

I've tried playing other muds. None can draw me in even remotely close as Genesis. If all of its secrets were public knowledge I think at least for me, and maybe a few others, the draw would no longer be there. The challenge would be gone, and there would be little new to find.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 17 May 2010 00:50

I think you should do your own work, and not have things handed to you.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Velicus
Apprentice

Post by Velicus » 17 May 2010 13:18

Mersereau wrote:I think you should do your own work, and not have things handed to you.
Which is why we should get rid of the tutorial, the newbie pin, and sharing experience in a team.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 17 May 2010 14:13

velicus wrote:
Mersereau wrote:I think you should do your own work, and not have things handed to you.
Which is why we should get rid of the tutorial, the newbie pin, and sharing experience in a team.
Better yet, remove team function at all, post offices and all commands that allow you to communicate with others!
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 17 May 2010 17:42

Pretty sure you guys missed what Mers was saying. lol

Velicus
Apprentice

Post by Velicus » 18 May 2010 18:45

bromen wrote:Pretty sure you guys missed what Mers was saying. lol
I don't think so. Either way, I'd much rather have a clear presentation of his reasoning.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 18 May 2010 20:51

Or you have views that others do not share. Mers's view is that Genesis is hard work and people should learn and explore things for themselves without having it handed to them on a silver platter. Your view is different. Nothing wrong with disagreeing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/