PvP in Genesis

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

PvP in Genesis

Post by Cherek » 24 May 2010 15:25

Chamdin: If you join the knights, expect to be killed, and expect to kill others. If you dont like pfighting, join a non-pfighting guild. Killing a smaller knight isnt about fair play, its simply clever by the AAs to fight battles they know they can win. In all the previous wars I've been apart of focusing on killing the weakest player of the opposing side has always been a strategy chosen by both sides.

Parlay? Hm... well... I suppose it could work perhaps. But would it be used? If I was on the hunt to kill someone I wouldnt take someone up on it. I mean if you decide to attack someone, you clearly dont wanna talk. If you did, wouldnt you do just that, talk, instead of attacking? I think it would be an unused command.

Laurel

Re: Parlay!

Post by Laurel » 24 May 2010 16:09

Cherek wrote:Chamdin: If you join the knights, expect to be killed, and expect to kill others. If you dont like pfighting, join a non-pfighting guild. Killing a smaller knight isnt about fair play, its simply clever by the AAs to fight battles they know they can win. In all the previous wars I've been apart of focusing on killing the weakest player of the opposing side has always been a strategy chosen by both sides.
WHY can't someone decide to play a knight in Genesis WITHOUT PvP? Why does someone else decide for this person? Lastly - WHY should the past be excuse for anything in here - we should all have grown up some, since we started playing Gen, or?

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 24 May 2010 16:14

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 May 2010 16:17

Laurel:
Grown up? Killing the weakest link has nothing to do with "growing" up. Its still a game and its still a good strategy if you want to kill someone. No matter if you're 15 or 45.

Knights are coded with natural enemies and war systems and swear to fight evil, etc. Its coded that way. So yes, someone else has decided they are a target for the '"evils". Clearly, you can do your best to RP and pacifistic knight but all I am saying you should expect to be attacked and sometimes killed... part of the job. Or what do you suggest? Forbidding AAs and DAs to attack knights, their natural enemies (atleast in DAs case)? I dont really understand...

Its like playing Starcraft and be annoyed when you get attacked by the enemies and think its unfair. Its the design of the game!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 24 May 2010 16:27

So it was the DA that killed Creed the Knight? If so - it's all right in my book.
If not and AA was involved, your comparison stinks, Cherek. It stinks cause Creed the Terran (continue the Starcraft comparison) has been slain by the taurens and orcs of the Horde (discontinue Starcraft, entering Warcraft realm) cause someone decided to put them both onto the same realm ... and even made attempts to balance them between eachother, but still - Creed the Knight could easily say "There is no spoon ... errr no Angmar" if he'd like to stick to Dragonlance RP.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 May 2010 17:19

Laurel: Easy now. First of all, I dont know who killed who in this particular case. DA and Knights are _coded_ to kill eachother yes. That was my point. In reply to your "who decided they have to pfight" question. They were coded to fight so being a knight and being attacked by a natural enemy shouldnt be so strange...

About AA, they can make up their own mind. If they wanna go kill knights, who is to say they cant? If they want world domination knights are surely in the way since they dont like evil in the world. makes sense to me. Some enemies in this world are coded, some are chosen by either side. If AA decide they wanna exterminate all good in the world (for instance) who is to say they cant?

I thought this was a free world and has always been. you are free to play a non pvp knight or calian or whatever, but arent anyone else free to play someone who wants to hunt knights? I dont see why it stinks?

But then again, half of the players dont want pvp in the game, the other half does. The game designers wants Genesis to be a pvp, pve and rp game. Thats how the game is made. If you dislike pvp but still wanna play Genesis, try to stay away the best you can, but dont bitch so much if you get killed because it is a part of the game and has always been. But you CAN stay out. Its just that people like to take sides in conflicts, join guilds with a goal to fight other guilds, join guilds with guildmates who like to pvp, etc. And then they get surprised when they get killed. Bah.

If Creed was killed by an AA, tough luck. If Creed doesnt want to pvp, join mercs, glads, monks, any neutral guilds. Declare yourself neutral, dont assist freinds against others or attack guild npc, etc. I have tried it, its not hard at all to stay out of pvp if you dont like it. Just gotta put some effort into it.

Wanna be a knight and never pvp? Sorry, wrong game. Knights arent neutral. Simple as that.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 24 May 2010 18:02

Cherek wrote:The game designers wants Genesis to be a pvp, pve and rp game. Thats how the game is made. If you dislike pvp but still wanna play Genesis, try to stay away the best you can, but dont bitch so much if you get killed because it is a part of the game and has always been.

Wanna be a knight and never pvp? Sorry, wrong game. Knights arent neutral. Simple as that.
Cherek, I am glad that you know the Admins thoughts and can tell us all what Genesis is and is not.

Now please put it up on the website and on the login message.

"Genesis is a Free-for-all PvP game, with no rules on who can kill who, regardless of circumstances.
If you want to quest, PvE or roleplay, you can do it, but that's not what this game is all about and expect to be killed while doing it.
"

I'd be happy to know, if this is the case, because then I can go find another game, since Genesis PvP, to me, is one of it's weakest parts, is fairly boring and there are games much, much better at it.

A Free-for-all-PvP text game with an absurdly steep learning curve, and a handful of old players lording over the game, killing whoever they like, doesn't have much of a future, if you ask me.
FFA-PvP is one of the main reasons why people leave the game, and few bothered to stick with it.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 May 2010 18:20

Makfly wrote: "Genesis is a Free-for-all PvP game, with no rules on who can kill who, regardless of circumstances.
If you want to quest, PvE or roleplay, you can do it, but that's not what this game is all about and expect to be killed while doing it.
"
You actually think I said that? I hate having to repeat things over and over... but thats not at all what I said so I am not even gonna comment on it. If you feel that is how the game is, thats your words, not mine.

Genesis has always been an RP/PVE/PVP game as long as I have played it. Not techincally great at any part perhaps, but a game where all parts matter and a game that clearly has survived a long time so its gotta have something.

As for my mind reading skills on wizards, Gorboth has several times stated that he wants to improve PVP and make death become a natural part of the game again. The policy about PVP can be found in the help files and it pretty much says anyone is free to kill anyone. So yes... I kinda feel our game designers want the game to have free PVP. I mean, if not, I suppose it should have changed during the twenty+ years it has existed? Its not mind reading its just seeing the game we have, and always had.

But that was my point really, we're somewhere between now. As I said, the population is somewhat split into pvp-lovers and pvp-haters for the most part and it doesnt really work well.

You say most people leave because of PVP. Care to elaborate on that? How do you know that? If PVP was taken away completely I know I'd leave atleast so it probably goes both ways. But what do you suggest? How does PVP work in those games where it works so well then?

I always thought FFA-PVP is one of the key things that makes Genesis fun... I cant be the only one?

Trutblemma
Adventurer

Post by Trutblemma » 24 May 2010 18:54

What does FFA pvp mean?
//Emma's overseer

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 24 May 2010 19:06

Trutblemma wrote:What does FFA pvp mean?
Free For All PvP
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/