Newbies and making money

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Enkil
Beginner

Newbies and making money

Post by Enkil » 27 May 2010 23:12

When it comes to questing I guess most people say a necessary
evil. Some quests I have had great fun in solving, and some
quests I just get annoyed, stuck with a, for me, strange syntax or
there is none (maybe I fail to understand) the logic behind the
quest.

But, as mentioned it is a necessary evil. What I have found
hard as a small player, is to earn money. I think all quests
so reward some money. I know this is not a fun thing
to add, but I think it makes sense and the newbies can
earn some money.

I know I said all quests, but I only mean those quests
that are a quest npc that hands out the reward of
course.

Also, the delivery tours, I think are a bit to random.
I got once travel from Newports to Minas Morgul,
how many newbies can do that? I think it would be
better to make these packets to go to different
npcs instead, and hopefully most of them in neutral
areas, but of coure the npcs can be evil, good or
neutral. But preferably good npcs gives to good/neutral,
and evil npcs gives to neutral/evil, and neutral give
to all alignments. Gunthar maybe needs to send a
message to Cromm, and that, Kernan maybe needs
to send a packet to Tyberius.

Just some thoughts.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Newbies and making money

Post by Cherek » 28 May 2010 00:48

Questing before the orbs and without solutions was practically impossible for most people I think. The orbs are a huge improvement, and while many quests are still annoying and with odd syntaxes its still a huge step in the right direction.

What are the rewards for those delivery tours? Is it actually worth it? If I remember correctly you gain very little for doing them so perhaps upping the rewards would be a good idea as well. And put an office in Sparkle?

Most likely herbing is the best way to gain money as a newbie. Anyone can collect herbs and sell and they can be quite rewarding.

But an area where greenhornes-beginners can kill things and loot is severly lacking though. I hope those are in the plans for the Sparkle recodes. Allthough, the enemies must not be too rewarding moneywise as they will attracts the bigger players instead. Rewarding enough for a small player, but less then the regular moneymaking areas for experienced players. Or... simply make it impossible for players of a certain size to enter these areas. But that limits teamability between new players and veterans of course...

I do agree though, its quite strange how extremely hard it is to make money when you're small, and how extremely easy it is when you gain some size and skills.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 28 May 2010 00:50

looting off Kabal or Krougs after someone bigger cleaned it off ... THE newbie money once ... :|

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 28 May 2010 01:29

Most of the problems end around wanderer, when you can start killing stuff like the Kretans, small orcs in ME, Argosian guards, etc.
It's not the best money possible, but still you should be able to get ~10-20 plats in an hour, which at this level is more than fine.
Herbing is fine too, but for that you need to know the areas rich in herbs (especially ones rich in herbs that sell for more than 10cc).

And to the question about rewards for delivery tours: I didn't do much of them, but usually it's 1pc per delivery (paid in silver usually).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 28 May 2010 09:53

I agree that this is an issue...

Looting what other people leave behind is a great way, but hardly a well thought out plan.
Having a "pack mule" via certain guild choices.. (I can think of 2 laymans)
Or horse with its own saddlebag (costs about 65 plats to get set-up, a little confusing/obscure, no goblins allowed)
Are GREAT helps for running around with loot and not getting exhausted...
Giving newbies an actual mule they cannot ride but can load with loot would be sweet... Supplied via Sparkle trader.

But although being a scavenger/bottom feeder is very effective it is nice to be a bit self sufficient too.

Delivery tours are very low paid, for people who do not know the world well almost impossible.
I wonder if travelling unencumbered how much money a myth could make per hour on tours. :)
Other forms of tours like you suggest Enkil I would consider to be almost like short term jobs.
IE Ask Kernan job = "keep bringing knights equipment to me I will pay you well". Not that newbs can kill knights but you get the idea.

Different shops pay different rates, some more likely to pay in gold etc..
Its something to take into consideration, but perhaps a bit of feedback telling people they feel they would have
got a better deal elsewhere would help.

Once you are big enough to forge you can make good cash, if you have the time to throw at it.

Money rewards for quests, interesting, or could have chance of a bonsus equipment drop.
Selling super gear on the AH is a superb way to get rich quick.. Not viable for a newb usually.
But if they had got some sweet gear from questing then why not.

Ever played a mud with the <sac corpse> command?
I have, you sacrificed a corpse to your deity and they gave you a gold coin ;)
If the newbs had their familiars being talked about maybe that could be one of their perks.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

fulgrim
Apprentice

Post by fulgrim » 09 Jun 2010 15:59

Tarax the Terrible wrote:I agree that this is an issue...

Looting what other people leave behind is a great way, but hardly a well thought out plan.
Having a "pack mule" via certain guild choices.. (I can think of 2 laymans)
Or horse with its own saddlebag (costs about 65 plats to get set-up, a little confusing/obscure, no goblins allowed)
Are GREAT helps for running around with loot and not getting exhausted...
Giving newbies an actual mule they cannot ride but can load with loot would be sweet... Supplied via Sparkle trader.

But although being a scavenger/bottom feeder is very effective it is nice to be a bit self sufficient too.
Very effective? It's the only way to roll. Don't think you and I are the only people who have figured this out...

From a RP perspective I hardly think killing other beings and taking their clothing, weapons etc. then selling them for a profit is self sufficient. It's more like... evil? So the newbie who loots stuff laying around could be said to be less of a bottom feeder than the one who kills his poor victims of robbery homicide himself, at least from a moral perspective. ;)
Your other suggestion about forging etc. seem more like an honest trade.

Anyway, I'd like to share what happened a long time ago when I first started playing. There was this character, don't remember his name sadly. (it may have been Nogard) He used to send me on errands to places, for example there was this shop where you could buy glass containers with purple gas. I bought him so and so many items and brought them to him, he payed me a very good sum of money for them. In hindsight I don't think the items were of any actual use to him. They just looked strange and exotic. In hindsight it was great fun because the strange errands created an aura of mystique around both the items and himself. And I got lots of money to spend on training...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 09 Jun 2010 16:37

I have cultivated some new players into traders myself.
Telling them about herbs and where to get them, then buying what they gather.
Asking them to get potions for me in Minas Tirith where I cannot enter etc.

This is the key to a good economy, but currently pretty rare.
Fulgrim was lucky to bump into someone like that.

I remember a ranger think it was Rugogold used to play games pitting newbs against each other, they had to count out loud and he would drop a platinum coin, first to grab it kept it. But if anyone did too well he would steal the coins back off them :lol:

Gives me an idea. Sponsored newbie death matches.
I put up a purse and find 2+ newbs willing to fight to the death.
Last newb standing gets it. :twisted:

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Jun 2010 16:39

Tarax the Terrible wrote:I put up a purse and find 2+ newbs willing to fight to the death.
Last newb standing gets it. :twisted:
is creating an alt and equipping it with main to enter the competition ok with you? 8-)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 09 Jun 2010 16:45

Or we could have a newbie hunting league where players pay to hunt them.
Take the newb/s to somewhere like Mithas and release them.
Longer they last better the purse they get.

:twisted:

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 09 Jun 2010 17:49

Why Mithas? Bring them to Moria without a light.
And the winner will be the one who brings Ashburz to the guy with purse.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/