Thoughts on guilds

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Thoughts on guilds

Post by Rhaegar » 29 May 2010 03:10

NOTE: This opening post is extremely biased and based solely on my 13+ years experience with Genesis. During this time, I have been a member of most (not all) OCC, RAC and LAY guilds and finally decided to address the issue that has been bugging me for a long time. I know that many people will probably disagree with me, but this thread's primary purpose is discussion and not bashing what I present here. So please, keep that in mind and if your view is different than mine, please share your thoughts so maybe we all could benefit.

On the importance of guilds

Like I mentioned before, in Genesis you're not playing the game, you're playing your character, that's what led me to the point of view that:
For me, guilds are the most important factor in Genesis. By joining various guilds (up to 4 of them at the same time currently), you define your character by giving it background, sense of belonging or just sheer power, depending on what you seek.
Guilds are the ultimate tool that let your character develop in the way you would like it to go.

On the flaws of guilds

The biggest flaw of guilds, is that, for the most part, they're being devised and created by Wizards, who, at the time, think have a great idea (I won't deny that), but, in their fever of creation, forget to look at certain aspects of the guild they're about to create:
1. How does the guild fit the current domain?
2. What are its (guild's) relations with other guilds already present in the domain?
3. What is going to be unique about the guild?
4. Is it beneficial to implement this guild? Or is it more of a hindrance?

Why am I asking this?

With all my characters, I have always strived to keep them as fluffy and roleplay-capable as possible, while keeping them viable (a secondary goal). It was with great pain that I learned, it was often hard (if not impossible) to accomplish...

Things that I was looking for:
1. A set of guilds within the same domain (RAC+OCC+LAY) that would fit each other and allow for good roleplay. I was never looking for power.
2. Roleplay being reward in itself, I always secretly wanted my guilds to compliment each other in a way, each one of them giving me something I would not get in others, while still fitting the chosen theme and allowing me to make best of each of them.

Some domains I think need more work

1. Krynn - hands down, this is the best domain when it comes to guilds. The guilds may not be the best (although I still love them all), but the variety of them allows for some nice roleplaying with different options.
+ very nice guilds
+ many options
- not all guilds are up to par with others (occupational archers are a big WTF for me, as an example)
- evils/neutrals have more options here

2. Kalad + Raumdor - hands down, best domains when it comes to content, but very poor on guilds, offering just 2 racial guilds and 2 clubs total is not impressive...

3. Middlearth - This is the domain I've always considered queer... It has all the signs of greatness (great quests, great locations, great features, great guilds) and shittiness (guilds doubling their skills and abilities, bugs, missing important parts, few guilds considering domain's size etc.) at the same time. In my eyes, it definitely needs more attention (fix ME first, develop Faerun later!).

I'm kinda drunk when writing this, I'll take a look at it tomorrow, when I can see the letters better...
Please let me know what you think about it (as I believe that I forgot to write something important here).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Thoughts on guilds

Post by Rhaegar » 29 May 2010 12:27

Oh my... I have no recollection of writing that. I need to read it quick.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 29 May 2010 12:30

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 29 May 2010 12:38

No he really doesnt.
Sure ME is a great domain.
But the fact remains it is a working domain.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 29 May 2010 12:56

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 May 2010 15:27

Nothing that controversial here considering the disclaimer at the start...

I would like to say I am a huge fan of the way Genesis has developed and the concept of guilds.
Compare it to most other "RPG's" that are popular in the mainstream...
There you are looking at classes not guilds.
With your primary class being chosen at the start and you get the skills.
It all feels more game orientated and less roleplay orientated.
Then they have clans to make up for the team spirit type side of things...

All in all the Genesis system is far superior.
And where we are today we have a lot of combo possibilities.
Not like many years ago where some Occupationals where hugely limited.

I think the limits where more there for evil characters.
Militia, Shieldbearers and Minstrels etc didn't have an equivalent.
But over the years it has been addressed by the great work of the likes of Tilorop, Louie, etc...
Not having an equivalent for everything also adds to the uniqueness.

Guild balance is definitely heading in the right direction.

Gnomes probably loose out a bit compared to everyone else.
But who in their right mind would want to be a gnome!? :P
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/