When does scrying become abusive?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

When does scrying become abusive?

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2010 17:21

I get torque scried a lot, but then that is probably because I scry a lot too.

A scry every 30 minutes or so and I'm not even concerned, sure I then check who is about and may be a threat to me but would do that anyway.
3 scrys in 3 minutes and I think hmm better get ready for company.
If the odds are stacked against me that will likely alter my behaviour too, keep healthly and not get fatigued etc.

With certain people, "friendly" enemies usually (we are not fighting now but have done in the past) when I scry them I can expect to be scried back in a couple of minutes.
Sort of like saying Hi to each other, and letting them know you haven't forgotten them. It is also telling each other you know who is scrying you.
So when Darkaan logged on after his long break first thing I did was scry him to "say hi..."
Pointless for any other reason since he is obviously in his guild.. :)

Sometimes I will scry others just to see where they are with no intention of hunting them.

Being scried repeatedly before being attacked just sort of gives an early warning things could heat up.
It doesn't really bother me and if it did I would destroy my torque.

But if someone is not used to being scried often, when it happens it can seem to freak people out a little.
So is one random scry an abuse? Or only if you do it a few times in a row?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Onton
Wanderer

Re: When does scrying become abusive?

Post by Onton » 31 May 2010 17:32

Tarax the Terrible wrote:When does scrying become abusive?
How about when someone a lot bigger than you scries you while you are idle, then comes and kills you for no apparent reason? :roll:

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2010 17:52

That's just one scry.. ;)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 31 May 2010 18:25

Tarax the Terrible wrote:So is one random scry an abuse? Or only if you do it a few times in a row?
you missed out the "control scry" - scry the target each 30-60sec to make sure you control it's movement, paths, habits ...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2010 18:31

Never scried / been scried that much.. :shock:
Laurel must be REALLY popular..

But you mentioned before you dusted your torque cus of scry spam.

Seems to be about a minute cool down on it.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 31 May 2010 20:28

As Laurel mentioned, you use scry to get to know habits. I can scry someone a few times at different hours to see where he is, at which time he idles, where he travels, etc. That is how I got to know the centaurs are pretty popular with evil people!

Some people would scry me before doing something. For example, I got the impression that someone (I think Ilrahil) would scry me before attacking Colin, while a couple of soldiers would scry me before attacking Calof (Adrian I think). Others like Goul would scry me before trying to conquer Estwilde. Rhynox has scried quite a lot (I once got five different scries--as in, torque, priest scry, necromancer, vampire and crystal-- on me within an hour, was pretty funny), and personally I have a sixth sense to know when those scries are searching me. Whenever I am idling and get scried, though, I like scrying everyone back just to start a scry battle between all the torque population. Unfortunately, dwarves fail pretty often at scrying.

It is just another tool. We use it when bored, because when hunting someone we prefer using blue crystals which are much better.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/