Krynnish Warfare

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Krynnish Warfare

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 07 Jun 2010 14:01

Seems to be hotting up :)
All the factions that have active players seem to be out there conquering.
Its great to see. As there are also player battles going on around it.

I am not sure if its new but I heard that the guilds taxes can be affected by the number of plains they hold.
And it seem the factions get notifications when the plains they hold are under attack.

Two great moves to keep people interested.
Nice Work.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Arcon

Re: Krynnish Warfare

Post by Arcon » 07 Jun 2010 16:07

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
And it seem the factions get notifications when the plains they hold are under attack.

I really hope you are wrong.
Cause the only ones that would want that are big players with friends. Anyone that don't team a lot or is not very big will never dare/manage to conquer an area.
Make people have to patrol the area if they want to defend them.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 07 Jun 2010 16:36

This is something I am guessing and don't know for fact.
But I think it would be good just for the fact the plains are huge.
Searching through 100,s and 100,s of rooms getting tired etc on the chance you might find some action is not fun.

Even if someone hears for example the northern plain near solace is under attack they still have a LOT of rooms to check.
And if you find someone on the plain they can _easily_ elude you most times if they want to.

The plains and guilds access to protected retreats is also well designed and balanced.

Most recently I was with BDA's & fought Neidars and a Calian on Estwilde.
The goodies there can run to Iron Delving for cover.
Vk goodies can run to the keep.
Solace can flee to Palanthas.
Evils can flee on dragons.
So when you want to flee combat it is possible for all factions to do so quite quickly.

This is what the Neidars were doing before the Calian arrived.
Killing a few guards on plain then fleeing for cover when attacked.
Typical dwarven stubbornness and it the end it worked for them...

It would be much worse for goodies for example if there was a plain north of Neraka, it would be much more risky to travel there than Solace..

Its a war system partly to give people who want to pfight an outlet for it.
Better knowing if you are on the plains you are very likely to be attacked than being attacked in Gont..
IE the ones that want to fight are busy elsewhere.

But it needs everyone participating to remain interesting, can't conquer plains unless an enemy conquered them first.
So the linking it to tax is likely to keep those big players very interested.
Better that than like when the Myth Squad was rocking they didn't care less about the plains, just going to uber grinders.

Its the best war system we have.
I would love to see something similar in Middle Earth.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 07 Jun 2010 16:46

Opps meant to send a PM. :oops: :lol: Forum newb
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 07 Jun 2010 16:54, edited 2 times in total.

Creed

Post by Creed » 07 Jun 2010 16:51

I have never seen such a notification.

Not on any of my chars, which have been in different guilds, across the spectrum.
So if it happens, its something very new.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 07 Jun 2010 16:56

I also think we are not at the stage where there are so many people on and interested that it becomes impossible to try conquering without player defenders showing up.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 07 Jun 2010 17:45

Those notifications didn't exist the last time I played. Armies got some advantage because they are able to hear the warhorns. Neidar guards prefer battling without crying for help ;-)

I like the war system because you battle indirectly: instead of killing other players, you kill guards and try to keep your guards up. Pfighting isn't the way to win this war, before you had to choose where and which guards to send, and that added some strategy: would you send lots of guards to a single area and keep it safe while trying to expand to others one at the time, or will you conquer everything, keep few guards in each, and get all the guild to protect all the areas? Running out of money was pretty easy, in fact the knights had to put a donation box outside to collect money since they could not hire anymore guards.

In a full day Rhynox is able to conquer all the areas, just like a couple of big ones from the armies are able to conquer all the areas in a day too. I run with some advantage because neidars are able to stand long battles and trying to conquer areas in Abanasinia forces you to walk over 500 rooms back and forth finding the last team. And the Blue Dragonarmy guards are very easy. In fact, I prefer conquering five or six areas from the Blue than one from the Red, their guards are pretty nasty and the wounds accumulate fast when fighting teams and teams of soldiers.

The dragonarmies and the knights are the ones that get tax modifications based on the amount of areas they control. The neidars are considered "free people" (just like the npcs in each area), we cannot "win" the war, so we don't get tax modifications.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 07 Jun 2010 17:55

AGree with all Rhynox said, and no you don't get notifications that someone is attacking them, but to the astute player there are ways to know, even a system coded for you to check i you sit for five minutes someplace.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 07 Jun 2010 18:06

My bad.. Status updates would be nice tho.
And stunties should get the tax perks/penalties since they are out there fighting too.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 07 Jun 2010 18:56

I'd like to see BDA guards upgraded a bit. Knights prove a challenge for someone under champion at times, and Neidar guards are just impossible unless you are large to do solo. And like Rhynox said RDA guards do fast damage but I've fought BDA guards with other characters in the past and they are just plain weak.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/