Blocking, pfighting and the old days.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
fulgrim
Apprentice

Blocking, pfighting and the old days.

Post by fulgrim » 25 Jun 2010 21:41

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about some things I've read on the forum. Especially the thread about blocking and ogre stomp, and what people write about pfighting in general. Also what Gorboth says about player death in the earlier days of Genesis.

Its true that people used to die more back then. I remember the rainbow barriers etc. but a lot of players had different attitudes. For instance, some refused to run because it was a sign of cowardice. (I regret to say I was not one of them)
There were a lot more characters running around, for instance AA had droves of members and sometimes dozens were awake at the same time. A large amount of them were smaller than Champion (i.e. Rising Hero) so they died a lot easier at the hands of the few "super champions" around. I remember one of my more memorable deaths, it was a after a very bloody skirmish in and around Bree where around ten rangers and other goodies died. A lot of those were not very big, perhaps GA and Veterans, small champions. But they didn't have much chance against Thunder and some other huge Angmars. I was disarmed, lost at least to clubs to a ranger and then ran like a bitch. Tried to hide in the Forsaken Inn but he tracked me, etc.

The retaliation was as simple as it was brutal. The next day a very large team of Knights and Calians etc. waited outside Angmar and just killed anyone who got out "in detail" as it were. Back then KOS could block people from entering the *cough*. (Perhaps this is still possible, don't know) They killed at least ten Angmar.

Earth and co. please don't get any silly ideas now! :lol:

A contributing factor to player deaths of all kinds was lag. This was a problem back then; you couldn't coldly count on being able to run. It was hard to know if the lag was due to a bad line, a crappy dial-up or the server.

I've always though that especially high ranking members of caster guilds in Genesis are OP when it comes to player killing. I've been in such a guild myself with one of my old characters.
But in the old days, Nazghul etc. just coming out ganking mostly because they could?
Unthinkable. The MM back then seemed to come out only to kill those who had attacked members of the society or to make a very rare show of force.
The "deep" caster guilds becoming home to ganking power-players is a later phenomenon as far as I remember. Its like, give someone with a poor attitude ;) a loaded gun and sooner or later they will shoot someone. (Nothing wrong with doing what you want in Genesis, of course... Its the creators of the game who should moderate it, I think.)

About the blocking and so on... I was attacked by a Necromancer in Gont a while back. (I don't know much about what they can do)
He did exactly what someone in the thread about blocking and ogres stomping etc. talked about... Blocked the exit to the store. TBH I'm pretty grateful he didn't use dagger x or some fatigue/poison spell to make me dead. What I'm trying to say is that creating sure-fire ways of killing player characters like it seems some want is always going to hit the smaller, weaker less knowledgeable the hardest. Not the huge myths or bad evil vampires, MM, POT, or whatever. Making Genesis more deadly will probably just mean more dead small players.

For example, during my last tour in Genesis there was this idiot (and I stand for this even now) who liked to get dagger x and gank smaller characters with it. Presumably "because they were Thanar"
He killed the same guy at least three times, and this was before death recovery I think. Dagger x was (is?) quite easy for a somewhat bigger character that knew its way around to survive.

Well, that's quite enough for now I think...

-Fulgrim

Rhynox
Titan

Re: Blocking, pfighting and the old days.

Post by Rhynox » 26 Jun 2010 04:43

Why do you think Tarax and company kill Manglor, or Irk and company kill Widow? Because the smaller members are the easiest to kill. In a war neither the leaders nor the big ones die, only the small ones, or the casual ones (big and small ones) that decide to stroll around to see what is new and get killed because of it.

I believe Irk and his team mates, and Tarax, Bale and their team mates are damaging Genesis beyond the point of repair. But that is just my opinion.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 26 Jun 2010 04:55

If it became too problematic, would you ever kick Irk out of the neidar?

Just asking cuz I like debating stuff.

-b

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 26 Jun 2010 06:03

No neidar has ever been kicked from the guild, and that won't change. Darkaan was much more problematic than Irk, and he is still our best pfighter in the guild.

Otaril
Beginner

Post by Otaril » 26 Jun 2010 06:41

so
No neidar has ever been kicked from the guild, and that won't change. Darkaan was much more problematic than Irk, and he is still our best pfighter in the guild
is more important than
I believe Irk and his team mates, and Tarax, Bale and their team mates are damaging Genesis beyond the point of repair. But that is just my opinion.
?

Not that this is your problem, but I found your statements interesting. Neidar tradition trumps it's medium.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 26 Jun 2010 10:50

Rhynox wrote:No neidar has ever been kicked from the guild, and that won't change.
Why in the world would your guild have such a stupid rule/tradition?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 26 Jun 2010 11:34

because they dont kick people from the guild, they send them into exile
Last edited by Tive on 26 Jun 2010 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 26 Jun 2010 11:40

exactly, just like I am now.

Bale
Beginner

Post by Bale » 26 Jun 2010 14:50

Rhynox wrote:I believe Irk and his team mates, and Tarax, Bale and their team mates are damaging Genesis beyond the point of repair. But that is just my opinion.
For a long time I played by what I saw as the ideal... everyone respecting everyone else's fun. That worked for me until people started disrespecting my fun, including the wizards. So now I play for what I find fun... being Bale, the self-obsessed ogre, and involving myself in challenging PvP. I follow the rules and if that ruins other people's fun, my reaction is, "I know, right? That's what I told Gorboth, but he wouldn't listen. Try yourself and if enough people complain, he might change his mind." I just don't have enough belief that Genesis can change to play Gandhi and suffer until everyone else come to their senses. I'm going to just try to have fun the way the game is, even if I think it could be much better.

fulgrim
Apprentice

Post by fulgrim » 26 Jun 2010 17:54

Bale wrote:
Rhynox wrote:I believe Irk and his team mates, and Tarax, Bale and their team mates are damaging Genesis beyond the point of repair. But that is just my opinion.
For a long time I played by what I saw as the ideal... everyone respecting everyone else's fun. That worked for me until people started disrespecting my fun, including the wizards. So now I play for what I find fun... being Bale, the self-obsessed ogre, and involving myself in challenging PvP. I follow the rules and if that ruins other people's fun, my reaction is, "I know, right? That's what I told Gorboth, but he wouldn't listen. Try yourself and if enough people complain, he might change his mind." I just don't have enough belief that Genesis can change to play Gandhi and suffer until everyone else come to their senses. I'm going to just try to have fun the way the game is, even if I think it could be much better.
On a sidenote: Just thought I'd browse the forum for a while since Fulgrim is currently LANGUISHING in PRISON in KABAL! Figure that, eh...

Well, getting killed by other players happens in Genesis. It hasn't happened yet to me this time around, but it happened loads of times "back in the days". Can't say I enjoyed it much, tho. Being a tween, once I got very angry and started raising hell because of one death.
Its seems some people nowadays want to kill other players characters for reasons I don't fully understand. You don't exactly gain anything of importance from killing your random Calian/Ogre/whatever that is much weaker than your character. So I suppose people do it out of spite, or because they can.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/