leadership purge

Contains all the suggestions that are posted in the game. Can't make new suggestions here, use the Suggestion Box forum for that!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Hades
Novice

leadership purge

Post by Hades » 15 Sep 2010 14:37

Some of the issues addressed with leadership have mainly
been concerned with inactive leadership.

What is to become of poor leadership that run guilds into
the ground? Like a guild that has, lets say, two active
members and they disallow any meaningful progression by
new members...

Lets say the leader of the guild has been the leader of
the guild for many years and has let it dwindle into
obsolescence.

If such a situation were a reality, or were to arise
in the future, what could be done?

Hades

Uther
Great Adventurer

Re: leadership purge

Post by Uther » 15 Sep 2010 15:32

What guild are you refering to ?
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 15 Sep 2010 16:10

Dear Uther,

Hades wrote this post in game, and it were relayed to the forum automatically.
He may miss your comment here.

T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 15 Sep 2010 17:02

Hades wrote:Some of the issues addressed with leadership have mainly
been concerned with inactive leadership.

What is to become of poor leadership that run guilds into
the ground? Like a guild that has, lets say, two active
members and they disallow any meaningful progression by
new members...

Lets say the leader of the guild has been the leader of
the guild for many years and has let it dwindle into
obsolescence.

If such a situation were a reality, or were to arise
in the future, what could be done?

Hades
The very issue has been brought up many times in the past, so far....Nothing's been done.
I guess most experienced players would know of the guild(s) you might be refering to, but as far as I have gotten, there is nothing to be done, but what can be done through in-game means...which probably end up at "nothing" too.

Still I'm also interested in knowing if it's something the Admin are aware of, and have on their to-do list.

Hades has a forum account, so I presume he'll stop by and read my reply here, even if his initial post was made in-game. :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 15 Sep 2010 17:14

I think it is very serious,

When one person or two can simply take a guild as their own and either allow or disallow progression of others we run into a huge problem. Especially if one person is the leader and they simply will not allow others to move forward because of personal reasons.

Guilds have fallen into disarray because of this. There should be NO guild that has only one Council member with the power to promote others, ever. When you have this you run into abuse. Every single guild should always have at least 2 council members active if not 3 or 4. I know numbers make this difficult but it is possible.

Certainly a guild leader can exist, so long as they have some high-ranking underlings, or equals, who have power to make decisions as well. I really think the Admin should take issues like this seriously otherwise we will have people leaving guilds because they are prejudiced against and have people who join the guild after them promoted before them simply because of percieved issues or personal qualms from the sole council member.

I just think it is dangerous, no matter what, to have only one person in a position of power in a guild...and as I said I think there can be a person with final say but they need to be able to be held accountable for their actions.

Windemere's Player

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 15 Sep 2010 20:08

Can we have term-limits...Like, say...2 years max. as a guildleader then you're automatically demoted to the next highest rank, or whatever is fitting?

We have people in Genesis, who's sat on a guild for a decade or so, that's more than we'd accept for our real life leaders even :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 15 Sep 2010 21:06

This is definitely an issue that we take very seriously. In my opinion, automation is not necessarily the key, either. I think some guilds really do need Councils that are completely removed from any sort of democratic process. That being said, it is always the duty of the Admin to take steps if it becomes obvious that the game is going to suffer as a result of a particular dynamic. What I mean by this is similar to what I wrote on the Common Board some time ago. Basically - if you are going to be a guild leader, you need to lead. If you are just enjoying the benefits of the position but not doing any work to maintain the guild and do what it takes to deal with applicants ... well ... I am ready to get off the couch to you YOU off the couch. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 16 Sep 2010 08:06

One word Gorboth.... *cough* Eagledraco *cough*

Tharandil
Adventurer

Post by Tharandil » 16 Sep 2010 14:16

eagledraco does however have a whole set of conclave members to do his work :roll:

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 16 Sep 2010 18:21

tharandil wrote:eagledraco does however have a whole set of conclave members to do his work :roll:

"Work" beeing making the game unplayable for the rest? :P I dont need to point out to whom I am referring to do I? The myth Duo so to speak makes the game unplayable for anyone that wronged them in any way in RL or in game :P

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/