re: Wolverine

Contains all the suggestions that are posted in the game. Can't make new suggestions here, use the Suggestion Box forum for that!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: re: Wolverine

Post by Kitriana » 07 Sep 2011 05:35

the new quests with the town crier send you to the cadets
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 07 Sep 2011 10:17

Ashur (and others):
One of the greater feelings of happiness in the ealier stages is when killing a bunny (which die easily with no eq and no skills) and finding a lucky rabbit foot (though apparently that rabbit wasn't very lucky).
Yesss!!! Money! Power! I can increase my unarmed combat several steps with the money from this one, and kill the bunnies even faster, gaining more money to boost my skills even more and become even deadlierer!

What you call a paradox is really the good circle of advancement. It exists in most games and is what drives you forward. If I start out with a load of money or skill points, it would in reality mean to start out with the unarmed combat skill already boosted. The result would be that I would need to kill more rabbits before I could afford increasing the skill further and become deadlierest. So it would just remove the first, fastest spirals of advancement (one dead bunny gives enough money to increase unarmed combat, even if it has only a normal foot), which means longer time before I can see my first progress. And without (or with slow) progress, it's a bigger risk new people will give up. To stretch it further, would you keep playing a game if you got a great boost before you started playing, but then you wouldn't advance at all even after playing for days?

This is the same reason why I don't like those racks - it's a great boost once you find them and the great eq inside, but after that, nothing you find yourself will make you more powerful until you've gone really big. One circle of advancement removed from the game (the three major circles being stats, skills and eq, but you can easily add others like knowledge, contacts, guild memberships etc). Ever heard of people logging in, checking the racks and then quitting again if it doesn't have good enough eq for them? Yes, they do exist.

Most ships cost less than 3 silver - even for a newbie fresh from Tutori Isle this really is nothing.

To solve all quests in Sparkle (except spy quest, which I haven't solved yet, and tutorial quests which give 1-2 pc in the end) you need:
A knife, 10 cc (for oats), 72 cc (brew), 60 cc (boat ride)
The rewards are:
37 gold, 12-13 platinum
Maybe quests in other places are more costly, though. Can't say much about that yet. Still, if some quest does require some money, see it as part of the task - gather the money necessary to solve the quest. It's not hard.

And finally, again, about poor syntaxes:
help bug
help typo
help idea
help praise

In a world without challenge, there'll be no success.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Archie
Apprentice

Post by Archie » 27 Jan 2012 22:11

Lots of replies and I would like to add my opinions as well to this important topic.

I feel I have to agree more with Wolverine and Makfly than Gorboth on this one.

In my opinion, a newbie who is a second is not a newbie. Regardless of if older players understand that a player is not a newbie or not, it is irrelevant. Even if nobody would give this second anything, he/she already knows where to go to advance. Sure it might take a little longer to get the cash or the good stuff but not much.
Also, unless we reduce the in-game possibility to hand over materials (coins/weapons/armours) from big players to small players these false newbies will also have friends who help them (especially with the xp part most likely).

So if we ignore these fake newbies and talk about real newbies the questions comes to why does someone stay in Genesis? Also, at what level is a new persons presence in Genesis a success? Is it that they complete the newbie area? Is it when they become 5 days old? 20? Play on and off for 10 years?

I think one can group real newbies to Genesis into the below groups:
  • 1) Never heard of/played MUDs, stumble onto Genesis.
    2) Heard of/played MUDs, stumble onto Genesis.
    3) Have friends who play Genesis, never played MUDs, are brought in to Genesis
    4) Have friends who play Genesis, has played MUDs, are brought in to Genesis
Of the above, the last two groups will have, thanks to their friends, the incentive to play the game. They might not get the coins/weapons/armours if their friends set up their gaming experience based on the exploration of the game (which still feels like the basis of playing a text based game if you are not just into crunching monsters and trying to optimize your xp/minute), but they will at least know beforehand that this game (and the players who play it) is awesome.
For people like this to leave the game it would probably require something major, like they are not suited to this kind of gaming to begin with. Or that they play only because their friends do and if their friends leave so does the new player. Or (if they are very unlucky) that they get player killed lots or have other kinds of bad experiences and simply quit the game.

The first two however are trickier. Number 2 has at least a sporting chance. He knows (and hopefully enjoys) the text based interface and all that it brings. He understands the syntax and can guess some of the not so easy ones.
Someone (I think) posted above a question if anyone experienced had tried the newbie area. I for one have done so, and fairly critically at that, and I thought it was very good. But even so, I have played before. Without thinking, I know the syntax so I never get stuck on those things. But I thought there was a lot of help to be had even though I also missed one quest my first try from the newbie area. And I was pretty thorough.

But if we go back to the person who has played other MUDs, I think he will stay if he simply appreciates what Genesis has to offer in terms of roleplay, quests, exploration or perhaps having met and befriended some other players. In terms of other people, the newbie line really is good. Without physically meeting them in game he can still ask questions and get help (and most importantly talk to others) which means that one problem, which is the size of the game, is reduced somewhat.
If the player sticks with it, when he becomes big enough not to need the newbie line, he already knows about the mail system, messengers and the odd spells to communicate.
If all works well, this player will also stick with it.

And again, those who would not be inclined to like the game to begin with will not stay anyway, as well as those who happen to have a very bad experience.

Number 1 is the hardest to keep, mainly due to text based games not being the latest, coolest thing. If graphical multi-player games did not exist I think it would be easier to get them intrested and this is a fact that, despite being stated often, really is true. Not much we can do about it. There are huge amounts of games out there that appeal more to people than does a text based game. What Gorboth (and others) have said regarding exploration and the adventure of "the new" I totally agree with, however due to today's society and the breakthroughs in various form of technology (graphics but also media) not all are as interested as we might have been when we first played Genesis.

Speaking for myself I still recall immensly fondly how I on paper made my maps of the lands and spent five-ten minutes in each room looking at things (still do when I come to new areas). But we have to face facts, not everyone is as intersted in that.
Does this then mean we do not want them in the game? Should we not do all we can to keep them in the game?

Very long post so I will end here and perhaps pose some questions/suggestions in follow-up posts to be able to keep them in-scope.

Archie

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 01 Feb 2012 12:31

Very good analysis there.

Archie
Apprentice

Post by Archie » 01 Feb 2012 22:34

Thanks.

I forgot to write my follow up questions.
I could probably find these out myself by starting a newbie but I would rather ask them here.

* When you create a character, do you have access to the newbie line?
* Whenever someone starts creating a character, can the newbie line get a message saying someone is being created? This way, newbie helpers can welcome new players immediately.
* In the newbie area, there are I think restrictions on how far you can travel (if you are too small and will not survive the next area). Can there be such restrictions in Sparkle as well?
* I kind of see Sparkle as the newbie area outside the starting area, is this really true or are the monsters in some parts of Sparkle area too big? If so, see above point.

I might have more questions or ideas but these are the ones I can think of now.

Archie

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 27 Apr 2012 10:59

Removed
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/