Looking a gift horse in the mouth

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Postmaster
Wizard

Looking a gift horse in the mouth

Post by Postmaster » 28 Mar 2011 23:14

Originally posted by Mercade

Greetings,

While it is said never to look a gift horse in the mouth, there are those who
prefer to avoid gift horses altogether.
It is now possible to regulate who you acceptgifts from using the "giftfilter"
option in combination with the "gifts" command.

off - Without giftfilter, you will accept gifts from anyone except those
you explicitly "reject" gifts from. This is the default.

on - Giftfilter will reject gifts from anyone except those you explicitly
"accept" gifts from. Use "today" to accept gifts from a person until
you leave the realms.

See: help gifts

With regards,

Mercade

Ilrahil

Re: Looking a gift horse in the mouth

Post by Ilrahil » 28 Mar 2011 23:51

In response to Pharaxes idling in sparkle and being killed with vampiric moss I'd presume.

Perhaps you should idle in safer places.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 28 Mar 2011 23:51

Make it easier for idlers and bots.
Good job;)

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 28 Mar 2011 23:54

Agreed with Chanele.

this makes it even easier for botters and idlers to go around on trigs.

Silly change.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 29 Mar 2011 00:28

I'm not really a fan of the change either...
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 29 Mar 2011 00:39

LOL

This got done pretty quick compared to some of the other things that really need fixing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 29 Mar 2011 01:15

I completely agree. What happened to Pharaxes showed how dangerous it can be to not be alert while playing. Isnt the what the whole "hunt for botters" that admin started is/was about?

I suppose idling isnt really "botting", but anyone who is active and alert at their computer wont have this problem at all.

As previously said, this just makes it more okay to idle in public places. Something I think is bad for the game, having non-responsive characters hanging in Sparkle not responding to anyone. Why do we want to make that easier?

Idle in your guild if you badly need to idle. Atleast nobody will try to talk to you there.

The giftfilter simply makes you able to turn on the "idle" button. Yey...?

And it also takes away the old PVP-tactics "give huge heap of copper coins to enemy", which I always thought was a bit funny. Dont know if anyone ever uses it anymore, but in the past is was a fun way to make your opponent tired if you managed to hide it in combat spam or he/she wasnt being attentive enough to notice it.

Sorry, a big BOOOOO for this change from me. *throws rotten tomatoes all over Sparkle*

This also seem familiar... Have not similar changes happened before when someone is killed in a new creative way? The admin says they want PVP to be a part of the game, but as soon as someone figures out a way to kill someone its "fixed" soon after.

Give stuff to enemy has always been part of the Genesis PVP, but no more. And its just gonna complicate things, you turn on the giftfilter when you are idle, or on triggers, or botting, and then forget to turn it on, someone tries to give you something, "oh right the filter" turn it off, then you forget to turn it on again when botting, and you make a trigger to turn it on... etc etc... Just seems complicated without any real gain at all? It just removes something from the game... it removes danger... again. This really is turning in to a co-op game more and more...

If you so BADLY need to idle in a public place or wanna be safe when running on triggers or botting, just add a trigger to drop stuff anyone "gives you" that you can turn on yourself...?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 29 Mar 2011 03:10

Well he should be more careful and not idle in places like that :)

As for the change..
Its sort of a self inflicted gunshot :p
You think youre good, but end up with a hole in your leg.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 29 Mar 2011 08:37

Funny with Pharaxes.. he has always idled pretty much like we all do, but then some one logs on 5 minuttes, give him the mosses and wait for him to die, then logs out again.. That kill was so low as any kill can be, and its one that knew pharaxes had eat and drink triggers... But anyways. good change.. now the dickless people cant do stuff like that.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 29 Mar 2011 08:49

Alorrana wrote:Funny with Pharaxes.. he has always idled pretty much like we all do, but then some one logs on 5 minuttes, give him the mosses and wait for him to die, then logs out again.. That kill was so low as any kill can be, and its one that knew pharaxes had eat and drink triggers... But anyways. good change.. now the dickless people cant do stuff like that.
Err.. we all dont idle, most of us either logout or disconnect. It wasn't low, it was pretty funny. And what kind of an idiot leaves triggers running while being idle? Thats just begging to be screwed with.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/