Scaling all Imbuements

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Chanele
Champion

Re: Scaling all Imbuements

Post by Chanele » 03 Dec 2013 20:36

People having higher stats should still have an edge (to promote all kind of gaming styles) but not as much as today. Lets say supreme is maximum, after that the player suffers diminishing returns with a special formula.

Example: A special using strenght as damage factor and a character with 1,5 supreme strength(100 strength points is supreme) will have a damage factor of:
Old system (100+50)
New system (100 + (50/x))

There are much better formulas for theese kind of things, maybe we even use something like this?

Ps,
All numbers are made up incase that has to be clearified...

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 03 Dec 2013 21:05

Suggested this change when imbues were implemented but it fell to deaf ears.
Going from stat 1 to 10 will not impact the game as much as when someone go from 50 to 60 if most monsters and players hover about at stat 30 and soft cap is kicking in at 45.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 03 Dec 2013 23:53

Seems to fall to deaf ears this time aswell.

It amazes me that people start threads about the lack if RP in Genesis and too much focus on grinding yet no comments when a suggestion to solve it is presented. (Atleast say it's bad idea...)

To me it's like saying we want more RP but don't you DARE touch our stats!

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 03 Dec 2013 23:57

Chanele wrote:Seems to fall to deaf ears this time aswell.

It amazes me that people start threads about the lack if RP in Genesis and too much focus on grinding yet no comments when a suggestion to solve it is presented. (Atleast say it's bad idea...)

As one of those "people" that you refer to:

What do you want me to say? What exact control do I have over this? Seems to be something that a wizard should respond to more than myself.

And for your information, this idea only serves to benefit me. I'm in an RP heavy guild as a hero that will likely again see wars (at some point) with a guild that is based primarily of myths these days. Yes, omg, don't touch my stats. I have so many of them!

It's a little asinine to assume that because people don't respond you know their reason for doing so. In my case, it's simply that I can't do anything to further the idea, and any input I give is likely to be immediately shot down with either "QQ grind harder", "rp sucks", or some other variation that I seem to get lately.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 04 Dec 2013 00:01

Chanele wrote:Seems to fall to deaf ears this time aswell.

People have worked hard for whatever stats they have. I don't think invalidating that investment is fair. However, I could imagine that the impact of an imbue be attenuated at the top end such that someone can't get mega super stats as being possibly reasonable (which is what I believe was initially proposed).

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 04 Dec 2013 01:23

Amorana wrote:"rp sucks"
EDIT: I decided to move my reply to the RP thread, not to hijack this thread.

Chanele: People NOT commenting is perhaps the best praise an idea can get around here. Or on any forum really. Most people feel an urge to say something when they DONT agree. Although I would suggest using the "idea" command in game if you want to be sure the right people sees it. Namely the wizards. We cant do much more but say it's either a good or a bad idea...

Celephias: Since you worked long and hard for your stats... would a change like this feel extremely unfair to you? It would feel like others could get what you have "for free"? Could it be acceptable if it meant possibly more interaction, PVP and RP in the game, or would you still feel it simply too unfair no matter the gain?

I am asking because I dont know how it is to have more than one supreme stat (barely), so it would obviously be a gain for me. But if you have triple or more Supreme+++ stats you would still be at a clear advantage, as they would still be clearly bigger in all stats, and they would not have to bother with imbues, and no sacrifice potential armour or weapons slots for imbued items of inferior quality. And of course, you wouldnt have to spend all that effort getting imbues. So having grinded a lot would still be a clear benefit.

But I dont know. I am one of those people (maybe the only one?) who thinks some type of stat wipe would be the best thing ever. I'd cheer if someone decided hero or something is the new highest limit for stats from now on. Perfectly fine with me. I would not see it as all my time spent grinding above that as "wasted". Not if it meant the new system provides more fun. But I am probably a bit extreme having that opinion... as grinding and stats never really meant anything for me. Just a necessary evil I'd rather be without for the most part. Which is why I asked you.:)

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 04 Dec 2013 04:23

Kiara wrote:
Celephias: Since you worked long and hard for your stats... would a change like this feel extremely unfair to you? It would feel like others could get what you have "for free"? Could it be acceptable if it meant possibly more interaction, PVP and RP in the game, or would you still feel it simply too unfair no matter the gain?
I believe the game mechanics outside of RP are also of value to the game. Stats play a huge role in this, as does skills, specials and other nifty things wizards code. Its very hard to RP any kind of badass when you can be driven from the room with ease by those smaller than you are. This used to be the reality for many spellcasters. I was one of the first really big mages (for what was considered big back in the day) and it improved my RP because I could back up the 'power' I was trying to project.

So, in my opinion, the game is best served by a tasteful blend of both game mechanics (which include stats) and RP - they are not mutually exclusive in my mind.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 04 Dec 2013 04:31

For me the moment a they reduce the stats below the soft cap now, will time to leave.

I am a grinder first and an RPer second. And to take either away and genesis means much less as a method to amuse me in my free time. And I am nowhere near the soft cap, yet.

When I played WoW ... a game with a eventual cap, I also joined a RP server that was full of solid RP guilds that also were very solid in end game raiding and world pvp. And of course, if not for the panda crap xpac, I would still be playing. Hell I am still paying for it now even though I dont play waiting for the next xpac I hope will be less juvenile.

Hero or even small myth is boring. I like to dream and play with numbers. Always have. But that is just one player :) It could be that most want a small hard cap. And if so, time for me to say good night.

And to be honest, after the recode of the mages ... I have a void of RP. That was the biggest draw of MM, they were solid on RP always. And I care not to fill it for now. I had no choice in the recode. And hated it completely as pertaining to playstyle. And I did try a second time but it it just wasnt fun for me. So I moved on and am waiting for other solid RP guilds to be done and then I will try to learn all about them. But if they change the stat cap, I wont have to wait at all. I will go back to my RP WoW server and grind and RP away in an unbearable (no pun intended) panda bear world.

And to clarify ... it wasnt that the recode wasnt solid. It was extremely well done in theme and in balance. Though obvious still being fine tuned there. And that debate will continue for quite sometime I am sure. But it was the playstyle change that I could not enjoy. And I will always miss it. I assume it will be as fond a memory as my Knight from oh so long ago. Peaceful in time. But for now, it still feels like a loss to me.

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 04 Dec 2013 08:34

Celephias wrote: ...
I believe the game mechanics outside of RP are also of value to the game. Stats play a huge role in this, as does skills, specials and other nifty things wizards code. Its very hard to RP any kind of badass when you can be driven from the room with ease by those smaller than you are. This used to be the reality for many spellcasters. I was one of the first really big mages (for what was considered big back in the day) and it improved my RP because I could back up the 'power' I was trying to project.

So, in my opinion, the game is best served by a tasteful blend of both game mechanics (which include stats) and RP - they are not mutually exclusive in my mind.
+1

Also, as someone w/ big (huge?) stats I think I can safely say that stats by themselves don't make that much difference. Rather it's quite arbitrary depending on how the specials in your guild are implemented.

I would say what makes the most impact for a fighter is:

1. How specials are implemented - over the years I've seen myself outperformed damage-wise by much smaller players in other guilds.

2. Weapon and armour quality - I rarely have the energy to get top gear and much smaller players w/ top gear can outperform me

3. Skills - unless you have a really top weapon it doesn't matter much what level of skill you have since you either don't hit or don't get through armour. (Actually there should be an option to turn off normal attacks to reduce spam. j/k ;) )

4. Speed - see 3, not much point in missing at a higher rate ;) Unless you're lucky and your special is affected by speed, then I would put this as 2. Btw, unless it hasn't changed I think it's wrong that it's not standardized how specials are affected by speed.

5. Raw stats. Dex, Con, Str.

/M

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 04 Dec 2013 08:48

mumon wrote:
Celephias wrote: ...

+1

Also, as someone w/ big (huge?) stats I think I can safely say that stats by themselves don't make that much difference. Rather it's quite arbitrary depending on how the specials in your guild are implemented.

I would say what makes the most impact for a fighter is:

1. How specials are implemented - over the years I've seen myself outperformed damage-wise by much smaller players in other guilds.

2. Weapon and armour quality - I rarely have the energy to get top gear and much smaller players w/ top gear can outperform me

3. Skills - unless you have a really top weapon it doesn't matter much what level of skill you have since you either don't hit or don't get through armour. (Actually there should be an option to turn off normal attacks to reduce spam. j/k ;) )

4. Speed - see 3, not much point in missing at a higher rate ;) Unless you're lucky and your special is affected by speed, then I would put this as 2. Btw, unless it hasn't changed I think it's wrong that it's not standardized how specials are affected by speed.

5. Raw stats. Dex, Con, Str.

/M
BLASPHEMY!!!
You only wrote this because your char is huge and you most probably had some unfair advantages for growth/grind over those who create another alt whenever it's more than 30min grinding required for minimal progress.
Damn cheaters!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/