Death lost the bet!

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kiara
Champion

Re: Death lost the bet!

Post by Kiara » 14 Nov 2013 00:48

Zestana wrote:This is a decision that is about 3 years to late.
Thinking about vampires now?

In terms of players I'd say we have more now than this time 3 years ago... at least not less.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 14 Nov 2013 00:49

Zestana wrote:This is a decision that is about 3 years to late.
Aww crap. Guess we should just not have bothered.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 14 Nov 2013 00:51

No I'm staying in general this decision is 3 years too late, give or take a year. You might be at the same population now give or take a couple people but over the last 3 years the number of players who have left due to either being pkilled or basically being told they are griefers who can no longer enjoy the aspect of the game that made it fun for them is well over 20. Add that to the people who are left and your almost doubling your population.

Don't bring the vampires into this, as all it will turn into is a debilitating flame.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 14 Nov 2013 01:05

I never would,

What I think, though, is that you could argue this is 20 years to late. It is her now though. So lets deal with it now.

Some of those people, maybe they will return. I do not know, no one does. We can make all kinds of arguments, but at least we have this change coming now. Saying it is "3 years too late" while possibly accurate but does nothing really for the current situation.

Windemere

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 14 Nov 2013 01:12

Zestana wrote: Don't bring the vampires into this, as all it will turn into is a debilitating flame.
hehe... well I thought you meant them.

And hey, we dont even know if this is a good idea. Maybe it'll halve the population and we'll be saying, "wow I wish we never tried that death penalty experiment":)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 14 Nov 2013 06:38

Actually, I pretty much agree with Zestana but for one word. I do wish I had tried this at the height of the most recent Vampyr guild's activity levels, when pvp was controversial because it was in full swing. Even before that time I had wanted to try this out, but never felt like I could move past my hesitation. So ... I'll state that I, too, think this is about 3 years late. What I don't agree with, because I hope it isn't true, is that it is too late. Hopefully it is still in time to help us learn what we can do to make pvp great again, through some brave experimentation.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 14 Nov 2013 10:15

Back to suggestions of PvP tokens:

I think it should be like rating...
If you kill someone with high rating, you get high number of tokens.
Low rating - low tokens.

Lets say everyone starts with 1000.
Every death transfers 10% (and minimal 50) of tokens to winner.
This way we can avoid people who are milking other players for tokens.

Also there should be maximum gap in size to get this points: myth won't get points for killing hero or even titan.
This way we will avoid newbie killers.

Optional: rating refreshes every 2 months.
Another option: points gathered 2 months ago are zeroed.
This will help to maintain some kind of PvP ladder.
Not giving old players advantage.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 14 Nov 2013 15:02

I love the change, Gorby. Manglor definitely had fun yesterday...

With regards to tokens, rewards, prizes, etc. while they're all good motivators, I think the Realms needs a bit of a break-in period to this new pvp 'era.' This era is something that mortals have been asking for, and I'm glad it's finally here...regardless of how long it took to arrive.

If the majority of the population enjoy the changes, then we can look at implementing different rewards, titles, etc.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 14 Nov 2013 15:34

I am a general fan of the no death penalty. possibly due to i die a lot and not to pvp. however i do see reasons some people would like a penalty. I sugest a safe mode and a classic mode the safe mode has no xp loss but has a slightly lower xp gain. if you feel lucky/secure in skills go classic mode but dont whine when you lose your cookies.
also since your lowering xp gain it will make "safe mode" less apealing to botters.

there we go a risk vs reward scinario extra xp vs no death penalty.

I also like the penalty on new xp idea since your not going backwards( ive seen this in mmos) another thought is an injury system which would be a random debuff for x number of in game hours/xp or till you pay the healer.

but honestly i really dont think this is why people dont pvp. I think its cause its rather unplesant especially if your good or neutral you get on outlaw lists you might be blacklisted from guilds. people whine at you. and there is no real lasting benifit. its not like your capturing a base or doing some favor for your guild. in most cases its about vengence or crewlty. which is great if your into that.

so im with the people who are suggesting adding reward to pvp rather that removing risk since removing death penalty probibly benifits questers, grinders, and botters more than pvpers.
Last edited by Snowrose on 15 Nov 2013 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 14 Nov 2013 15:44

I feel that this takes away the feeling of risk when you are in combat. I died yesterday and since I recovered my eq before anyone found it it didn't matter. I died and it didn't matter! Where is the feeling of risk and adventure if death is nothing? I will most likely go on a suicide run against different NPC just to see what they can do to me, so what if I die. I'll just do it when there is just 24h to arma so not even loss in eq will matter.

This a fun thing for a short time but to implement it for good I don't think is a good idea. Death needs to be felt somehow, you need to loose something or it will have absolutly no importance and if it has no importance then where is the adventure or excitement?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/