Anniversary - What Do We Want?

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Anniversary - What Do We Want?

Post by gorboth » 15 Feb 2014 11:08

Code: Select all

Donut Dwellers,

Its time for me to really face the facts of things a bit here and fill the
community in on where things sit right now regarding our 25th Anniversary.
Some decisions need to be made, and I feel that to do that I want to share
with you some behind-the-scenes issues and then see what we can come up
with together.

When I first set the date for the event, I was trying to land as close as I
could to when I *think* the switch was actually "pulled" to turn the Gizmo
on for the first time that brought Genesis online. So, that looked like mid-
April 2014 for us to be 25 years old. I set the date, announced some big
ideas, and started doing my monthly updates on progress along the way.

That was about a year and a half ago.

Well, the reality is that I didn't experience a lot of feedback on this.
There were some people who seemed enthusiastic about it, but very little
seemed to materialize outside my own efforts. I think at least half of the
problem is that I didn't properly throw this out to the community to see
how much interest there was, and what it might look like. Rather, I just
announced some big ideas that were going to require a ton of work by
wizards and started acting as if it was all going to happen.

Unfortunately, a lot of our wizards have had a busy year RL. Using myself
as a prime example, I had no idea back then that this was the year in which
I would become a grandfather. That one thing alone has nearly shut down
all sorts of what I'd normally be doing in terms of my leisure time and
hobbies. I've hardly been able to log in and check my Genesis mail for the
last 2 months! (Of course, this hasn't been a bad thing at all. Being a
grand-dad is the bees-knees!) But, this seems to have been the pattern for 
numerous wizards, and we just haven't had the workforce to get much pushed
forward from those lofty goals I'd proposed at the outset of the Anniversary
idea.

Long story short, it doesn't make sense to try to celebrate the 25th
Anniversary of Genesis mid-April. We're just not going to have the time to
put anything worthwhile together by then. I've decided that if we want to
do something, and get it done before 2015, that can still count! :-)

But before launching such an effort, I want to back up a bit and see how
much interest there even is in the Genesis Community for such a thing to
happen. This post will make its way shortly to the Official Forum, where
perhaps we can get a good thread discussion off the ground. I'd like to
hear what sort of things people would like to see from such an event. And,
I don't want to tie this event to things like finishing the Balance Recode
any longer, because that is its own effort and shouldn't hold back what
we might want to accomplish here.

So ... what are people's thoughts on this? Genesis is turning 25 this
year. Do we want to celebrate that somehow? How would you want to do that
if you could? :-)

Thanks!
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Re: Anniversary - What Do We Want?

Post by Kiara » 15 Feb 2014 16:32

Stop coding on any "normal" projects. Work on some fun in-game things for the celebration instead, but mainly try to get everyone, mortals and wizards, involved in promotion to get both new and old players. Seeing 50+ players online, or more, would be the best way to celebrate.

As for in-game, I think we should have a "celebration week" or something. Or month. Where we run a bunch of fun event-like things.

Like we have a wiz-day, some popular event re-run, a big in-game party, a tournament, some type of free for all PVP day where everyone are scaled to the same size and no penalty, maybe add some super EQ on the Balrog and give people something to team up for. Maybe a day when imbuements drops are much more common and cool, a day where combat XP is doubled, a special very rewarding quest made only for this celebration and open only during it. Well, lots of stuff like that... and then run one or two of these at a time. So like a weekend the Balrog has cool EQ and imbuement drops are common, the quest runs for the whole period, wiz day is one day, etc...

And make a plan for this at least a month before. So everyone knows the 25th is wizday. 26th-28th is Balrog and imbue weekend. Etc.

But keep it realistic, so its possible to make it.

Like I imagine upping drop rates for imbues is fairly simple, and would be very fun for mortals. Same with giving the Balrog a piece of really good EQ. It doesnt have to be overly complicated to provide lots of fun for players. Try to find "small" things like this, that really doesnt involve much coding effort but adds a lot of fun during this period of celebration.

Yeah, thats what I would like to see.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 15 Feb 2014 20:42

Actually, I thought about awesome out of game Gen Party - weekend or so.

I even got my wife permission for such kind of trip to Sweden :) and believe me it wasn't easy

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 16 Feb 2014 02:06

Kiara wrote:Stop coding on any "normal" projects. Work on some fun in-game things for the celebration instead, but mainly try to get everyone, mortals and wizards, involved in promotion to get both new and old players. Seeing 50+ players online, or more, would be the best way to celebrate.

As for in-game, I think we should have a "celebration week" or something. Or month. Where we run a bunch of fun event-like things.

Like we have a wiz-day, some popular event re-run, a big in-game party, a tournament, some type of free for all PVP day where everyone are scaled to the same size and no penalty, maybe add some super EQ on the Balrog and give people something to team up for. Maybe a day when imbuements drops are much more common and cool, a day where combat XP is doubled, a special very rewarding quest made only for this celebration and open only during it. Well, lots of stuff like that... and then run one or two of these at a time. So like a weekend the Balrog has cool EQ and imbuement drops are common, the quest runs for the whole period, wiz day is one day, etc...

And make a plan for this at least a month before. So everyone knows the 25th is wizday. 26th-28th is Balrog and imbue weekend. Etc.

But keep it realistic, so its possible to make it.

Like I imagine upping drop rates for imbues is fairly simple, and would be very fun for mortals. Same with giving the Balrog a piece of really good EQ. It doesnt have to be overly complicated to provide lots of fun for players. Try to find "small" things like this, that really doesnt involve much coding effort but adds a lot of fun during this period of celebration.

Yeah, thats what I would like to see.
If the point of this celebration is to appease current players or to try and get some old players interested again, then by all means, I agree with the above.

If the point is to attract new players (as originally stated) I disagree entirely. In my opinion, it's not meaningful to try and attract new players until the game is fixed. Even if it's bandaid fixes like upping damage in currently underpowered guilds, adding some more resistance items, and getting rid of the death penalty.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 16 Feb 2014 21:04

Amorana: While I agree that there are things that need to be fixed, I think the game will never be fixed. There will always be things to fix. Waiting for the game to be fixed is what we have done for the last decade. No promotion until recodes, no promotion until new webpage, no promotion until tutorial area, no promotion until... well you get the idea. We can keep this up for another decade and there will still be things that needs to be fixed before we feel it's useful to promote.

I say use the 25th anniversary as one big positive celebration, used to spark interest in the game again both from previous players and current semi-inactive players as well as attracting new ones.

Postpone all the fixes for now and have fun with what we have. Because the game hasn't become so bad it's not possible to have fun still!

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 18 Feb 2014 00:05

Kiara wrote:Amorana: While I agree that there are things that need to be fixed, I think the game will never be fixed. There will always be things to fix. Waiting for the game to be fixed is what we have done for the last decade. No promotion until recodes, no promotion until new webpage, no promotion until tutorial area, no promotion until... well you get the idea. We can keep this up for another decade and there will still be things that needs to be fixed before we feel it's useful to promote.

I say use the 25th anniversary as one big positive celebration, used to spark interest in the game again both from previous players and current semi-inactive players as well as attracting new ones.

Postpone all the fixes for now and have fun with what we have. Because the game hasn't become so bad it's not possible to have fun still!
With the number of people I personally have known in the past few months to stop or limit playing for the very reason "I am no longer having fun", I would disagree. I think for some people, the game just isn't fun anymore. And I think there are a lot of reasons for this, that have already been thoroughly discussed.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 18 Feb 2014 04:00

Amorana: I think we should continue that "what is wrong with the game"-discussion somewhere else.

I doubt any big core changes to the game will be made before that celebration so, we have what we have right now. And did not you and me just participate in a pretty epic RP session just months ago?!? Surely there's still fun to be had. Personally I still have fun during most events too.

I think for the 25th anniversary, whatever we do, we should celebrate how much fun we have had in this game, and at least some of us still have from time to time.

Maybe some RL gathering will be fun, maybe lots of people will come, but I dont think the ENTIRE community will come even if we have one. So I do think we should have some in-game stuff too, for everyone to enjoy.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 18 Feb 2014 11:18

I think it would be very cool if a bunch of different plains around Genesis could be made conquerable and players could create teams to conquer and defend their plains, like the Krynn war system but global. Teams could then buy mercenaries to defend their areas and you would get some xp for every area conquered and some perks to hold them.

Some areas could be the silver forest in Terel, Khalakhor forest/plains, a bunch of plains/areas in ME, the krynn areas would be made global, Calia forest/moorland and maybe even the sea(sea battle!!!), you could try to claim island of the dead/holm in sybarus etc. Many of these areas are big enough to be split in two.

This would make people grind for a reason and spend coins on guards. The mercenary guards would could come in different sizes and the harder they are the more they costs and there could be several types of mercenary groups each lead by a experienced officer with some nice and unique eq. You could buy guards that are undeads, mercenary(random races), dwarves, elven/halfelf archers, goblin/ogre berserkers, gnomes(they can make traps and minefields) and maybe even some kind of casters. People could then fill their plains up with just one type of they could buy guards from several groups to try to get most from them. Gnomes to trap the plains(they die easy but would be a pain to get to) with some archers and a group of goblin/ogre grunts.

When you conquer an area you could get a nice boost of general xp and for each area you hold the general/combat xp you make would have a small multiplier, 5% for each area so if you hold 20 areas you will make xp twice as fast. And of course the cool items (with unique abilities and not just some other OP weapon or armour) collected from the group leader/officers.

There would be smaller areas that are only possible to conquer as a smaller player(up to RH maybe) and you could only hire guards of that size and of course huge areas for the bigger players.

I think this could make for a fun anniversary. A Global Genesis warzone with both smaller areas and bigger areas for everyone to participate.

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 21 Feb 2014 20:54

I like the above ideas about a series of special events each day for a week or month.

My personal suggestion is to release the Elemental occupational guild (already in beta / balancing stage?) and then shortly after release the Chemosh guild. Those projects are so exciting that they would bring people back.

Furthermore, I would recommend the implementation of an "instance" and/or PvP arena.

Nomm
Apprentice

Post by Nomm » 21 Feb 2014 23:11

I think it is important to keep it simply. Set a goal that is easy to fix, and if we
get more, even better.

On another mud, each christmas there was double-xp during christmas days. You
were simply rewarded double in combat experience while fighting.

An event would be nice, could be some kind of collection event where you are to
find ancient relics.
- Nemesis sword
- Raven-beaked warhammer (I think it was, could be turned and damage armour)
- Used to be a good axe, wielded by a dwarven merchant in Terel.
- Perhaps you can find an old guilditem beloning to the closed guilds:
Mystics, Khiraa, Shadow Walkers, Wizards of High Sorcery, Kaheda
- A picture of the dragon that used to fly you from Solace to Vingaard Keep.
- A picture with a griffon carrying a rider to icewall. The rider seems to be
spitting on a bird.
Im sure it wont be hard to fill a list with 50 items, if nothing else we can fill
it with pictures of certain wizards who after all created all this :) How about some
ascii depicting you in rl :)

All of this could be randomly dropped by mobs, and you then can trade with
others to fill your collection. This way there is alot of interaction, which is
fun, and all have equal chances to succeed. Ok, some guilds can grind more
easily than others, but all have a fair chance, even smaller players.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/