Magic Resistance Improvements

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Magic Resistance Improvements

Post by gorboth » 25 Mar 2014 22:32

Hopefully much of the time there is thematic information in place that does lead one to some idea of what resistance would be helpful. Obviously, if you are fighting a dragon and a firebreath comes at you, you don't need to be told "The dragon's breath burns you with fire!" and simply seeing "You are horribly burned by the dragon's breath!" will be enough to go on. There may be certain guild spells or npc encounters that don't make it perfectly clear, but if you are fighting some necromancer, and they cast a rotting flesh spell on you that causes damage, it is enough for you to try a death-resistance potion and see if it helps.

The goal here is to strike a fun balance between absolute information given cheap and easy, and information that translates into lore and wisdom that studious players come to understand and make use of. I believe allowing players who know what to look for to have the advantage of their own industry over players who pretty much ignore the details and want to have the game hand everything to them on a silver platter is actually a very good thing.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 25 Mar 2014 22:47

gorboth wrote:Hopefully much of the time there is thematic information in place that does lead one to some idea of what resistance would be helpful. Obviously, if you are fighting a dragon and a firebreath comes at you, you don't need to be told "The dragon's breath burns you with fire!" and simply seeing "You are horribly burned by the dragon's breath!" will be enough to go on. There may be certain guild spells or npc encounters that don't make it perfectly clear, but if you are fighting some necromancer, and they cast a rotting flesh spell on you that causes damage, it is enough for you to try a death-resistance potion and see if it helps.

The goal here is to strike a fun balance between absolute information given cheap and easy, and information that translates into lore and wisdom that studious players come to understand and make use of. I believe allowing players who know what to look for to have the advantage of their own industry over players who pretty much ignore the details and want to have the game hand everything to them on a silver platter is actually a very good thing.

G.

I think you look at this from only one perspective. The result of this addition goes against what you just said. The ones that got served on a silver platter and has no need to look for details or make numerous tests are the elemental casters.

Mere mortals as myself has to buy a bunch of potions, make x number of tests against different abilities that shows no information what so ever of what elemental ability that are used. This is both time consuming and dangerous.

So if you add one side of the coin why not the other aka make spells more visual by some means? If you have a fire elemental potion effect active and get attacked by a firebased spell it makes sense that the character notice a smoothing effect of some sort.

Ps, I'm not talking about dragon breath here..

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Mar 2014 03:25

I hear you Chanele, but I think the design in place will give you the information you need. Yes, of course it is dangerous and difficult at first. That is always the case when dealing with magic, which is very mysterious and hard to understand. Through exposure and experimentation, the mysteries can be revealed, and cherished as useful knowledge.

This is the plan we are going forward with.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/