Magic Resistance Improvements

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Re: Magic Resistance Improvements

Post by petros » 22 Mar 2014 17:43

Karpath wrote:Something added that protects against all forms of magic before recode of all magical guilds are done. Oddly it strikes me as if this is added due to the overwhelming whine that occured after the Mm was "finished".

Well done I suppose.
None of the potions individually protect against all forms of magic. More importantly, the increased availability of resistance items is something that has been long in the planning, but delayed in the implementation. It was mentioned as part of the discussion four months ago. Very shortly when the new Worshippers layman branch is open, we'll have the guild part of the resistance picture in place.

https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... 368#p20368

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 22 Mar 2014 17:47

Quick question tho, do they only absorb damage or do they protect against lets say... movement imparing crap aswell? Or blind? *wink carpath*

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Mar 2014 17:49

Draugor wrote:Quick question tho, do they only absorb damage or do they protect against lets say... movement imparing crap aswell? Or blind? *wink carpath*
For that you need protection from magic I believe. [guild info removed]
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 22 Mar 2014 17:53

Zhar wrote:
Draugor wrote:Quick question tho, do they only absorb damage or do they protect against lets say... movement imparing crap aswell? Or blind? *wink carpath*
OMG Wizinfo!1!!!!one!1!one!11

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 22 Mar 2014 18:06

Resistance works differently depending on the type of spell. Let's take the classic difference between a ray and magic missile. A ray is a spell that behaves like a ranged attack. A magic missile is - well, it never misses. The difference between the two is that one has a chance to miss and the other one doesn't. Where would resistance fit in?

Resistance can be applied in two places - the chance of hitting, and reduction in the amount of damage. Changing the chance of hitting makes sense for the ray, since better resistance can be seen as, "You are more attuned to fire effects, so your body responds better when attacked via fire and can dodge the attack." For magic missile, the only option is to be able to reduce the damage - "You are hit by a fire attack, but because of your fire resistance, it absorbs some of the damage from the hit". Now, you could argue that resistance should apply to both the chance of hitting as well as the damage absorbtion. And that's exactly what certain types of spells do check.

For movement impairment and blindness - there are also two areas where resistance can come into play. Because they are condition effects (you're either blind or you're not), they can affect you when you enter the condition or your chance of breaking out of that condition. Both of these checks are part of the game as well.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Mar 2014 23:27

OgreToyBoy wrote:
Zhar wrote:
OMG Wizinfo!1!!!!one!1!one!11
It wasn't wizinfo. Just an observation I made as a mortal player. Others are surely aware of this too, especially that we've had lengthy discussions on the subject (as mortals).

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 23 Mar 2014 17:32

This is a big, interesting change in the game. To help my mortal brain get my head around this, I have some questions:

- Do potions and herbs stack for the same MR? Would it be possible to have a potion, an herb and an item of Water MR all active at the same time for example?
- Do multiple items stack (e.g. amulet and a ring of Water MR)?
- Does general MR stack with the elemental variants?
- Is MR capped, or is it possible to achieve effectively complete resistance?
- Where items allow for stacking, will more items for the various MRs be made available as well?

Regarding the mechanics of how MR is applied (as much as can be communicated without wizinfo)
- Is the MR calculation constant or is it randomized? To draft off of Petros'e example, if I have MR of 20% and I get hit by a spell that would do X damage, is X always reduced by 20%? Regarding hitting, then I would have a 20% chance of evading, regarding duration a 20% reduction in my blindness, regarding effectiveness a 20% reduction in my slowness, etc? I also inferred that the effects could each be individually applied (for an arbitrary spell):
20% chance to not be hit
20% reduction in effect
20% reduction in duration

I expect this is a relatively complex affair so I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but just looking for some general guideposts.

I can see more 'research projects' (most likely spearheaded by Kenders), to figure out all of the resistances for countering the magic guilds ;-)

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 23 Mar 2014 18:57

I think it's possible to combine:

(potion resistance effect) + ({array of resistance gear}) + (resistance from herbs) + (resistance from spells).
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 23 Mar 2014 19:17

Celephias wrote:This is a big, interesting change in the game. To help my mortal brain get my head around this, I have some questions:

- Do potions and herbs stack for the same MR? Would it be possible to have a potion, an herb and an item of Water MR all active at the same time for example?
- Do multiple items stack (e.g. amulet and a ring of Water MR)?
- Does general MR stack with the elemental variants?
- Is MR capped, or is it possible to achieve effectively complete resistance?
- Where items allow for stacking, will more items for the various MRs be made available as well?

Regarding the mechanics of how MR is applied (as much as can be communicated without wizinfo)
- Is the MR calculation constant or is it randomized? To draft off of Petros'e example, if I have MR of 20% and I get hit by a spell that would do X damage, is X always reduced by 20%? Regarding hitting, then I would have a 20% chance of evading, regarding duration a 20% reduction in my blindness, regarding effectiveness a 20% reduction in my slowness, etc? I also inferred that the effects could each be individually applied (for an arbitrary spell):
20% chance to not be hit
20% reduction in effect
20% reduction in duration

I expect this is a relatively complex affair so I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but just looking for some general guideposts.

I can see more 'research projects' (most likely spearheaded by Kenders), to figure out all of the resistances for countering the magic guilds ;-)
Resistance can be defined to be additive (able to be stacked) or non-additive (cannot be combined with anything else). The system automatically calculates the additive ones and the non-additive ones and gives the higher number. (Not unlike doing your taxes in the USA with the Alternative Minimum Tax =P) So the answer is - it depends on the equipment whether it will stack with everything else.

To answer your questions broadly:
- Herbs and potions do stack with each other, and they do stack with other additive items. Therefore it is definitely possible to have all three operating at once. If you have a caster guild with resistance, that is a fourth way to add resistance as well.
- General MR is the most powerful because it covers all the elements. That is why it is not offered as a potion option.
- Stacking for resistance is done based on aid, not percentage. I won't go into the details of that, but suffice it to say that it's not easy to achieve ridiculous resistance because of the way it is calculated. Think of the changes to haste a few years ago as an example. We converted haste from percentage to aid to make it not so ridiculous.
- For the specific example of damage, X (for damage) is the one that is randomized. Resistance is constant where it is applied.
- You are correct that they can be applied individually. We typically apply them inasmuch as it makes sense and are cognizant of the stacking effects if it applies to multiple "aspects".

Hope that helps. Definitely excellent questions!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 23 Mar 2014 19:27

I want to ask question too! Is/will it be possible to lower someone's resistances?

This immediately came to my mind when reading questions and remembering the good old days of playing Diablo :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/