Quest Reform

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Laurel

Re: Quest Reform

Post by Laurel » 27 Sep 2014 21:32

quest scripting - I like! ;) would sure beat grind at my level lol

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Sep 2014 23:25

Laurel wrote:quest scripting - I like! ;) would sure beat grind at my level lol
Naa, grinding would be taken to an equal level in comparison to what it takes to complete quests etc, or just make them random, the players get a list each arma wich quests are available to them at this time

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 29 Sep 2014 03:04

I think they intend to let you grow bigger with questing than you can now.

Max Qxps puts you very near expert in size. So after changes I think they want you to be Rising Hero? Hero ... something.

You wont be able to quest forever on one character ... but alts will be possible to quest up if you know them.

The only benefit is if you are killed 15 times, you can never drop below your qxps baseline.

If you do no quests you grow just as fast as if you did on a killing spree .... but you ccan die to novice.

At least that is how I am seeing this play out.

Caw
Beginner

Post by Caw » 29 Sep 2014 16:06

I like it!

Will it be perfect? probably not. Will everyone like it? Absolutely not.

But at the very least it will get it to a state that would unify quests allowing the system to be tweaked in the future. If I had to guess the issue with brute and quests has never been addressed before because its a mess behind the curtain and noone has wanted to roll up there sleeves and deal with it. If Gorboth is willing to do it then I'm all for it.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 29 Sep 2014 19:23

It's a start.

Probably not enough to bring me back to play. Lots of other issues to be tackled as well.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Meercat
Beginner

Post by Meercat » 30 Sep 2014 03:45

ydred wrote:I think they intend to let you grow bigger with questing than you can now.

Max Qxps puts you very near expert in size. So after changes I think they want you to be Rising Hero? Hero ... something.

You wont be able to quest forever on one character ... but alts will be possible to quest up if you know them.

The only benefit is if you are killed 15 times, you can never drop below your qxps baseline.

If you do no quests you grow just as fast as if you did on a killing spree .... but you ccan die to novice.
I like all these ideas!
I also love the idea of the quest reform, fixing all the crappy syntaxes, the quests with no hints on what you're supposed to do, etc. It would definitely make questing much less painful. I just have one question! Why not take brute away now while you're working on the quest reform? There's probably a perfectly logical reason why this can't happen until after the reform but I had to ask!

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 01 Oct 2014 01:44

Making questing more fun, rewarding and easier to figure out will be very good for getting new players and old players to come back, I'd say. Fixing the syntax and quest hints would make me more likely to finish the quests and maybe start a second, which would bring me to the game more.

Ergo
Beginner

Post by Ergo » 13 Oct 2014 16:14

gorboth wrote:Ydred,

I'm not sure why you think keeping brute is part of the picture here. One of the biggest changes this proposal would allow is to create something that *does* let us remove brute *entirely* as a concept for Genesis. There is no contradiction that I can see in the proposal, so please clarify why you think it remains.

And yes, I am very comfortable (and used to!) critique on such posts, and I recognize the difference between emotion on a topic and intent to be negative. I took your words as the former.

G.
As a pretty new and fresh here, I would like to support the idea of removing brutality system from this game. From a technical point of view - it's quite easy to achieve, while preventing ppl to grow infinitely - just set a proper amount of xp needed for ascending in given stat lvl => so in other words : to grow from lvl 1 to 2 in "strength" one needs 10 xp, but to grow from 101 to 102 the same person would need for example 100 000 xp, while an amount needed to grow from 201 to 202 would be 10 bln xp.

Btw. I strongly suggest removing a death penalty also as a part of the process, while changing it to a temporal (2-3h) weakness, that will pass after that time.

Btw2. The quest experience should reflect a complexity of riddles, and should be an alternative (more rewarding) way of growing, rather than obligatory.

That would completely change the game, as ppl will be more willing to take part in pvp, will not use the current recovery system for gaining guild stats, will not loose their precious time spent in the game (as we are growing older and older the time is of issue here ;-) to re-gain xp etc. etc. Will it be a "golden core" - probably nope, as there is always a fraction of ppl who shout their disagreement louder than the majority of content people :-)

Creed

Post by Creed » 15 Oct 2014 19:21

If anything people should be getting smaller.. which means we ought to make it harder to gain experience.
The reason for this being that as a RPG we should strive for interaction, not killing ability.
I know I am quite along with these views, on the forum..

But making it easier for everyone to make a new char, attach themselves to big friends and just go grinding endlessly into the night.. where is the fun in that, and what would the idea be? Does that make the game more fun for anyone?

I personally cannot see it.

The only part of these quest related issues i like, are to make the quests more logic and well coded, and perhaps the idea of copying your main characters quests done to another character.. although that character ought to have a certain age before it becomes possible.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 16 Oct 2014 19:38

Creed wrote:If anything people should be getting smaller.. which means we ought to make it harder to gain experience.
The reason for this being that as a RPG we should strive for interaction, not killing ability.
I know I am quite along with these views, on the forum..

With the EXTREMELLY soft stance on bots that wont do anything aside from making an even bigger gap, we have bots that brag about botting and they dont even get a sore look

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/