Quest Reform

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dread
Great Adventurer

Re: Quest Reform

Post by Dread » 29 Jan 2015 21:48

Kitriana wrote:...just to further point out that some people prefer questing...
Until they run into the syntactic nightmare that exists in some of the quests here perhaps...

I have been questing exclusively now for 3 weeks, and off and on for a couple weeks before that. I can say, unequivocally, that more than half of that time I would have been happier smashing my head against my desk. Admittedly, I am dense when it comes to trying out differing syntax, but I also think that without the 'knowledge' floating around the interwebz more than half the quests that exist would be damn near impossible to figure out given the amount of clues currently in place. 99% of the time I have spent questing I would have rather been doing anything else. There have, however, been rare exceptions. For instance, last night I helped a young hobbit reassemble a bracelet in the Shire. That quest was very well written. I have long felt that the search function in Gen is burdensome and tiring for the most part. The bracelet quest is a perfect example of how it could be done much more intuitively and without the wearisome waiting involved in searching. I'll be honest. If someone were to hand me the 'knowledge' necessary to completely bypass this aspect of the game I wouldn't miss it at all. As far as I am concerned this is merely a hurdle, albeit a painfully long and arduous one, that needs to be surmounted before I can move on with the rest of the game.

Now. Given all that. I understand your point, and I even agree with you. Much time and effort was made to put the quests that we have now in place. Although I think some of the quests need quite a bit of TLC, I don't think removing them would be a good thing. However, I don't think they should be required either.

My two cc.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 29 Jan 2015 23:54

I think all people want is more versitility in leveling. for people who dislike quests giving them different ways to keep brute down. if people dislike fighting they can always herb in addition to questing to make ends meet because there is no downside to being a pacivist other than maybe speed of cash gain. but if you dont like questing or have completed all viable quests for your level/alignment your kind of SOL due to brute.

maybe more weekly quests or maybe have destroying/combining high level imbuements give qexp
or maybe have making certian toplists like moneymaker/kill/craft give a tiny bit of exp.
maybe let young players nominate vote for best newbie helpers every so often.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 30 Jan 2015 03:10

Dread wrote:
Until they run into the syntactic nightmare that exists in some of the quests here perhaps...

I have been questing exclusively now for 3 weeks, and off and on for a couple weeks before that. I can say, unequivocally, that more than half of that time I would have been happier smashing my head against my desk. Admittedly, I am dense when it comes to trying out differing syntax, but I also think that without the 'knowledge' floating around the interwebz more than half the quests that exist would be damn near impossible to figure out given the amount of clues currently in place. 99% of the time I have spent questing I would have rather been doing anything else. There have, however, been rare exceptions. For instance, last night I helped a young hobbit reassemble a bracelet in the Shire. That quest was very well written. I have long felt that the search function in Gen is burdensome and tiring for the most part. The bracelet quest is a perfect example of how it could be done much more intuitively and without the wearisome waiting involved in searching. I'll be honest. If someone were to hand me the 'knowledge' necessary to completely bypass this aspect of the game I wouldn't miss it at all. As far as I am concerned this is merely a hurdle, albeit a painfully long and arduous one, that needs to be surmounted before I can move on with the rest of the game.

Now. Given all that. I understand your point, and I even agree with you. Much time and effort was made to put the quests that we have now in place. Although I think some of the quests need quite a bit of TLC, I don't think removing them would be a good thing. However, I don't think they should be required either.

My two cc.
That quest was some of Altrus' finer work. He was quite proud of it when he finished, and was so excited to release it so that people could try it, and then bugged me relentlessly until I did. "Did you do it yet?" "Did you get a chance to yet?" I've always enjoyed that quest myself.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 Jan 2015 13:04

Amorana wrote:
Dread wrote:

My two cc.
That quest was some of Altrus' finer work. He was quite proud of it when he finished, and was so excited to release it so that people could try it, and then bugged me relentlessly until I did. "Did you do it yet?" "Did you get a chance to yet?" I've always enjoyed that quest myself.
The Bracelet quest in Shire (and the others in the nearby area), as well as Labal's quests in Terel, and several of Gorboth's "new" quests, for example mercenary camp spy, I think all are great guides for future quests, and perhaps even revisions of old quests at some point. They're all logical, fun, and rewards reading descriptions and examining things in a fairly small area, rather than endless running around and pure luck, which is generally not so fun...

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 30 Jan 2015 15:20

Labal quest is easy to figure out you say?
The final part of it is a Little much, was annoying even with help.

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 30 Jan 2015 15:23

I haven't done the last 2 parts of Labal's quests yet. I briefly started on #2 and got pulled away before I could find anything. I also heard #3 is really hard from someone who has yet to figure it out.

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 30 Jan 2015 16:54

Cherek wrote:...endless running around and pure luck...
That describes the majority of my questing experience quite well actually!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 Jan 2015 21:35

OgreToyBoy wrote:Labal quest is easy to figure out you say?
It might not be easy, but it's confined to a fairly small area and in my opinion both logical and cleverly made. I suppose it all depends on first impressions though. Any quest can of course turn out frustrating and annoying if you get stuck on a part. Regardless of that I personally think the Labal quests stand out compared to many others, and feel very thought-through.

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 30 Jan 2015 22:19

Cherek wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote:Labal quest is easy to figure out you say?
It might not be easy, but it's confined to a fairly small area and in my opinion both logical and cleverly made. I suppose it all depends on first impressions though. Any quest can of course turn out frustrating and annoying if you get stuck on a part. Regardless of that I personally think the Labal quests stand out compared to many others, and feel very thought-through.
You want to talk about frustrating, when I finally get those gardener's gloves I am going to put them on and strangle him with them!

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 31 Jan 2015 00:20

Labal quest is super cool. Probably one of my favourite quests :) (I rembember that kender entrance quest was pretty funny also, but it was soooo long ago)
Still quest walkthroughs should be published anyway.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/