Preventing unintended slaughter

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Preventing unintended slaughter

Post by Cherek » 15 Feb 2015 17:46

I am with Kitriana on this. That we prevent newbie slaughter is good. I don't really see a reason to make it harder to assist someone though. The team leader will need to confirm the attack now with the added "!", I think that is enough. If the team leader has confirmed the attack, he should know if his team is with him or not. A good leader would at least.:)

If we talk about unattended scripting the "!" will just make it easier to script unattended. Not harder. The seriously AFK people they would just change their assist trigger to "assist;assist!" instead of "assist", and they'll assist any PVP and PVE encounter, so no change from now. So, if we bring that argument into this, then it's better to leave it as it is, since it will require your to talk to your team leader about what to do in PVP encounters, and you will also need to pay a little attention to what's happening around you.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 15 Feb 2015 18:06

Cherek wrote:I am with Kitriana on this. That we prevent newbie slaughter is good. I don't really see a reason to make it harder to assist someone though. The team leader will need to confirm the attack now with the added "!", I think that is enough. If the team leader has confirmed the attack, he should know if his team is with him or not. A good leader would at least.:)

If we talk about unattended scripting the "!" will just make it easier to script unattended. Not harder. The seriously AFK people they would just change their assist trigger to "assist;assist!" instead of "assist", and they'll assist any PVP and PVE encounter, so no change from now. So, if we bring that argument into this, then it's better to leave it as it is, since it will require your to talk to your team leader about what to do in PVP encounters, and you will also need to pay a little attention to what's happening around you.
Then why do we bother making someone assist twice when the character's name is known? We are sort of using double logic here. Memories are limited and I do not remember all friends nor all enemies... it just makes no sense that we have these safeguards against known characters and not against unknown ones.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Feb 2015 18:19

Amorana wrote:
Cherek wrote:I am with Kitriana on this. That we prevent newbie slaughter is good. I don't really see a reason to make it harder to assist someone though. The team leader will need to confirm the attack now with the added "!", I think that is enough. If the team leader has confirmed the attack, he should know if his team is with him or not. A good leader would at least.:)

Then why do we bother making someone assist twice when the character's name is known? We are sort of using double logic here. Memories are limited and I do not remember all friends nor all enemies... it just makes no sense that we have these safeguards against known characters and not against unknown ones.
I dont know that Amorana. It was designed that way decades ago I suppose? The goal here was to prevent newbies being killed by accident. Script or no script it's still hard to know if one hobbit amongst a bunch of other hobbits is a player or not. The new command is good for that.

I do agree that we could probably be more consistent though, now we have the both "!", and "type twice"? I guess it would make more sense if it was the same command at least. Why remembered people and others are treated differently I dont know. Your guess is as good as mine.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 15 Feb 2015 18:23

Cherek wrote:
Amorana wrote:

I dont know that Amorana. It was designed that way decades ago I suppose? The goal here was to prevent newbies being killed by accident. Script or no script it's still hard to know if one hobbit amongst a bunch of other hobbits is a player or not. The new command is good for that.

I do agree that we could probably be more consistent though, now we have the both "!", and "type twice"? I guess it would make more sense if it was the same command at least. Why remembered people and others are treated differently I dont know. Your guess is as good as mine.
It is fine. I mean really by implementing the ! you have made it easy to circumvent anyhow. My triggers will now just read kill %1 instead of "assist".

I am honestly more "complaining" so that things would be consistent. I will just implement the kill workaround now.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Mercade
Wizard

Post by Mercade » 15 Feb 2015 18:57

Assisting (now) follows the same exclamation syntax when the target of the assist is an interactive player.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/