Changes with this Armageddon

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mersereau
Champion

Re: Changes with this Armageddon

Post by Mersereau » 29 Feb 2016 04:06

If you don't like the narrator, don't grab any frying pans and start swinging them.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 29 Feb 2016 05:44

I think the reason why this 'Yikes!' stands out to individuals such as Rincon and I, although it is difficult to properly place one's finger on it, is something other than not liking the narrator, misinterpreting these words as if our characters would say them, or something of the sort.

I've given the matter some thought and believe the reason for it becoming disruptive to the immersive environment comes down to a switch between two different narrative modes. The invisible narrator suddenly becomes quite visible.

From my experience with the game's content, I find it easier to place myself within this fictional world when it is 'shown' to me and it subsequently prompts me for interaction rather than when it specifically 'tells' me what has happened, more so when this suddenly very much come alive narrating voice makes use of expressions contrasting greatly with a medieval fantasy setting.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 29 Feb 2016 06:20

If it's that big a deal code a trigger to gag the entire statement and enter your own.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 29 Feb 2016 06:26

Mersereau wrote:If it's that big a deal code a trigger to gag the entire statement and enter your own.
It's not a big deal. Simply sharing perspectives on something other than the usual topics.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 29 Feb 2016 06:53

Mersereau wrote:If it's that big a deal code a trigger to gag the entire statement and enter your own.
What about people on the people on the web cliant? We can't exactly do anything to fix that.

trick
Apprentice

Post by trick » 29 Feb 2016 09:25

Ody wrote:
What about people on the people on the web cliant? We can't exactly do anything to fix that.
We can, we can...
gwc.output.replace() can do just that. However, Dhez raises a point. Obviously not an issue, but a point.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/