The Scouring of the Forum

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

The Scouring of the Forum

Post by gorboth » 08 Mar 2016 02:47

Code: Select all

Denizens of the Donut,

I would like to offer this mystic rune for your netherworld consideration:

https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3526

Following that will give you a full update on the situation. Let me simply
quote from it's executive summary:

/*
 * Executive Summary:
 *     - Community discussion, fun, and sharing is why the forum was
 *       created.
 *     - Clear and consistent moderation is now going into effect to
 *       return us to that standard. (see below for details.)
 */

Yeah, the forum has kind of (read: almost entirely) sucked for the past
while, dominated by unmitigated posts containing nastiness, vulgarity,
and just plain meanspirited nonsense.

So ... fans of censorship, rejoice!! The forum is now a place that will
not contain such posts, and which will allow us to function in peace and
civility. If you've been staying away because it was no fun, please give
it another shot.

Cheers,
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Jooli
Adept

Re: The Scouring of the Forum

Post by Jooli » 09 Mar 2016 14:39

Can you make an option available to delete all your own posts and account?

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 09 Mar 2016 15:15

Jooli wrote:Can you make an option available to delete all your own posts and account?
that would be great option!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 09 Mar 2016 15:17

Jooli / Irk:

I can delete your accounts, but the old posts will remain. Removing them would cause quite the mess for anyone trying to read through old threads. It would also remove any useful information to new and old players, that I am pretty sure you both have provided during the years. I for one have found aid in some of the very nice scripts you have posted Jooli, for example.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Mar 2016 15:33

Cherek:
Your (plural - admin) standards seem to be based on very judgmental criteria - as shown by Gorboth below. If ANYONE wants the option to be gone for good, s/he should have the option to. I want one for myself too. Thank you in advanced.
gorboth wrote:Wow ... that Thread-O-Bot really did a number on this topic area. Good stuff! Any of you who want to get re-acquainted with what has been the history of development for this guild and all the details I have revealed over various entries are encouraged to go back and read the thread again from the beginning. Much seems to have been culled that otherwise made it slow to read.

G.
Last edited by Laurel on 09 Mar 2016 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 09 Mar 2016 15:41

Laurel: You have the option to be gone for good. Both in game and here. It just requires you asking for us to manually do it. Removing any record that you ever existed is not realistic though. Whatever you did in the game in the past will have some record of it, and stuff you posted here in the past will remain.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Mar 2016 15:56

I fail to see a single information that anything posted on this forum automatically becomes anyone's (including admins') property - as opposed to FB's for example. If Jooli wishes to delete her/his scripts from the forums, it's her/his work s/he shared with the community BUT it has NOT become yours. You may copy them and paste giving him credit probably, but you are not the one to govern her/his work directly.
What you give as "reasons" now, did never stop you from deleting posts before - like the quote from Gorboth above, very recently. Double standards at every corner.
I never wrote anything constructive, flamed almost everybody and am generally a whiney assh*ole, so I am asking for all my notes to be deleted from this website. The brownnosing supporters of recent decisions will gladly accept this, so let's feed the unicorns and polish the rainbows by removing the stains of my post from this area at all. Thank you!
While at it - why I can't do it manually neither is beyond me!

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 09 Mar 2016 16:23

Laurel wrote:I fail to see a single information that anything posted on this forum automatically becomes anyone's (including admins') property - as opposed to FB's for example. If Jooli wishes to delete her/his scripts from the forums, it's her/his work s/he shared with the community BUT it has NOT become yours. You may copy them and paste giving him credit probably, but you are not the one to govern her/his work directly.
Are you saying you are issuing a cease and desist against us on copyright grounds (or something similar)?
You do realize that is a pretty serious escalation.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Mar 2016 16:29

cotillion wrote:
Laurel wrote:I fail to see a single information that anything posted on this forum automatically becomes anyone's (including admins') property - as opposed to FB's for example. If Jooli wishes to delete her/his scripts from the forums, it's her/his work s/he shared with the community BUT it has NOT become yours. You may copy them and paste giving him credit probably, but you are not the one to govern her/his work directly.
Are you saying you are issuing a cease and desist against us on copyright grounds (or something similar)?
You do realize that is a pretty serious escalation.
Asking for common sense from any of you seems to always end up in hilarity.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 09 Mar 2016 16:39

You're free to leave if you want to, but it's not realistic to start unraveling tons of threads just since you're angry because we have decided to actually moderate the forum a bit more seriously than before.

In reality it won't mean that much. Only that some posts that are insulting/mean etc will be removed. And people wanting to post such things are required to do it in the flames section. It's not like it's a completely unheard of concept on the Internet to moderate a forum?

Some of you are extremely upset and wants to leave the game, the forum, everything because of it. Why? You don't want a moderated forum, and can't accept being part of a community that has one? Or you think we are horrible moderators and don't trust us to moderate the forum? Or what is it?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/