Bonk deleted

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
Ody
Hero
Posts: 390
Joined: 18 Apr 2015 03:28
Location: Vingaard Keep

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by Ody » 13 Dec 2016 05:45

Mersereau wrote:I am confused as to the reason for the post by the OP.

If they are pointing blame at the players, this reeks of wizard interference.

If Bonk did not want to participate in a war, that character could have left the warring guilds.
I believe he left the Knights for that very reason. Then the Calians came under fire. It seemed to follow him. I believe this was Gorboth's way of pointing out that actions have consequences and can harm others. A nice way of saying "Grow up".
All I am is your Van Gogh; I paint our dreams on the golden coast
I stay up high, flying solo; Don't come too close
I just ghost
I told you I am the new Poe; I sold my soul to the radio
I steal your heart in the shadows; Don't come too close
I just ghost

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2294
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by gorboth » 13 Dec 2016 05:53

Mersereau wrote:I am confused as to the reason for the post by the OP.

If they are pointing blame at the players, this reeks of wizard interference.

If Bonk did not want to participate in a war, that character could have left the warring guilds.
Huh ... ?

It was the standard story. Bonk mailed me wanting me to delete all his characters. I talked to him for a while, trying to help him realize this wasn't the way to do things but, in the end, agreeing despite the fact that I know it isn't the right solution. I decided to post about this one so people are aware that this happened in the case that it might help assess some costs of the way some players do pvp business.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1784
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by Draugor » 13 Dec 2016 06:21

gorboth wrote:
Mersereau wrote:I am confused as to the reason for the post by the OP.

If they are pointing blame at the players, this reeks of wizard interference.

If Bonk did not want to participate in a war, that character could have left the warring guilds.
Huh ... ?

It was the standard story. Bonk mailed me wanting me to delete all his characters. I talked to him for a while, trying to help him realize this wasn't the way to do things but, in the end, agreeing despite the fact that I know it isn't the right solution. I decided to post about this one so people are aware that this happened in the case that it might help assess some costs of the way some players do pvp business.

G.

Yea... the players in question (and no, not me I never attacked Bonk that I can remember) will probably go at it harder now when they know they can get an effect like this :P

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1784
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by Draugor » 13 Dec 2016 06:53

Melarec wrote:Instead of deleting players who request it, could you not simply cut their player data from the system and archive it somewhere?
I'm not sure how large player data files are, but you probably wouldn't need more than a flashdrive..

I don't know. Archiving always seems better to me than deletion, but who knows.
Full on deletion is just so permanent.. :(

Quite sure they have a couple of backups with this data on it, hence how they can restore some of the OOOOOOOLD chars

User avatar
Mersereau
Champion
Posts: 552
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Contact:

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by Mersereau » 13 Dec 2016 08:43

gorboth wrote:It was the standard story. Bonk mailed me wanting me to delete all his characters. I talked to him for a while, trying to help him realize this wasn't the way to do things but, in the end, agreeing despite the fact that I know it isn't the right solution. I decided to post about this one so people are aware that this happened in the case that it might help assess some costs of the way some players do pvp business.
And by doing so you are using your wizard influence in a mortal situation.

Perhaps bringing it up here might not have the same effect, but telling people to quit player fighting and not sort out their problems in game sets a horrible precendent.

Wizards don't use the common board for minor things, and for a lot of people it can be read as an ultimatum because in game there is really no way to respond directly back.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

User avatar
Mersereau
Champion
Posts: 552
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Contact:

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by Mersereau » 13 Dec 2016 08:54

Ody wrote:I believe he left the Knights for that very reason. Then the Calians came under fire. It seemed to follow him. I believe this was Gorboth's way of pointing out that actions have consequences and can harm others. A nice way of saying "Grow up".
Bonk could have left Calia had he really had any desire to play Genesis anymore. I had done a similar thing.

It's bad that a member of the administration has taken a stance in a situation that should be decided by mortals.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2294
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by gorboth » 13 Dec 2016 09:27

Mersereau wrote:
Ody wrote:I believe he left the Knights for that very reason. Then the Calians came under fire. It seemed to follow him. I believe this was Gorboth's way of pointing out that actions have consequences and can harm others. A nice way of saying "Grow up".
Bonk could have left Calia had he really had any desire to play Genesis anymore. I had done a similar thing.

It's bad that a member of the administration has taken a stance in a situation that should be decided by mortals.
One of us is confused here, Mersereau. Possibly both of us. I don't really understand what you are talking about. I have taken no stance. I have reported that a player made a request to delete their character which I granted. Are you calling my granting of his request as wizard interference, or ... ?

I do see it as one of my roles as Keeper of Genesis to help nudge the playerbase toward healthier behavior if I see things getting out of hand. In this case, it just means pointing out an outcome that the players themselves created. Sometimes it means a bit more direct interventions such as warning players who are griefing the community in ways that make the overall climate unfun. That sort of thing has not happened at this point.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kvator
Champion
Posts: 555
Joined: 02 Sep 2010 21:25

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by Kvator » 13 Dec 2016 11:36

Draugor wrote:
gorboth wrote:
Mersereau wrote:I am confused as to the reason for the post by the OP.

If they are pointing blame at the players, this reeks of wizard interference.

If Bonk did not want to participate in a war, that character could have left the warring guilds.
Huh ... ?

It was the standard story. Bonk mailed me wanting me to delete all his characters. I talked to him for a while, trying to help him realize this wasn't the way to do things but, in the end, agreeing despite the fact that I know it isn't the right solution. I decided to post about this one so people are aware that this happened in the case that it might help assess some costs of the way some players do pvp business.

G.

Yea... the players in question (and no, not me I never attacked Bonk that I can remember) will probably go at it harder now when they know they can get an effect like this :P
this

User avatar
Mersereau
Champion
Posts: 552
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Contact:

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by Mersereau » 13 Dec 2016 11:46

gorboth wrote: I do see it as one of my roles as Keeper of Genesis to help nudge the playerbase toward healthier behavior if I see things getting out of hand. In this case, it just means pointing out an outcome that the players themselves created. Sometimes it means a bit more direct interventions such as warning players who are griefing the community in ways that make the overall climate unfun. That sort of thing has not happened at this point.
Everytime someone quits Genesis because quests are too hard are you going to post?

Everytime someone quits Genesis because levelling takes forever are you going to post?

Everytime someone quits Genesis because guilds are completely imbalanced are you going to post?

Everytime someone quits Genesis because guild recodes are not completed at the expense of new guilds being created are you going to post?

I'd say those reasons are probably higher on the list as to why people quit than a mortal versus mortal conflict.

This is not a mortal-only problem, and either directly or indirectly wizards and the Genesis administration had a lot to do in why people quit.

Bonk had options, and you didn't have to grant his request. It would have cost nothing except a few KB of disk space. You certainly didn't have to point fingers at the playerbase and imply this is mostly their fault.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2294
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Bonk deleted

Post by gorboth » 13 Dec 2016 11:56

The playerbase? Noooo, no. A small subset of players are the ones who have griefing tendancies - not even close to any majority. These are the ones I am hoping to message. Naturally, I have no need to post when players quit for reasons that players cannot influence. The aforementioned subset of players can definitely make choices based on outcomes. I decided to post one of those outcomes. There is no large agenda here, Mersereau. I get it - my post annoyed you. Let's move on.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/