Deletions

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
Iceman
Novice
Posts: 4
Joined: 01 Dec 2015 01:16
Location: In a bush, somewhere in middle earth...

Re: Deletions

Post by Iceman » 25 Jun 2017 05:58

Ok, before I begin, I want everyone to read this as a counterpoint, nothing more, nothing less. Something to think about, since I've listened and heard a variety of views and opinions on the subject. Do I want Emraht, Greneth, and Co restored? Yes. Is that what this post is about? No.

I get it Gorboth, I honestly do. People are coming back and we have a new generation growing into the game. Building relationships and reputations of their own. We have new people coming in and now is the time to make the right decisions to make them stay. To make Genesis active on a good level again. Some of your decisions have been good. Making sparkle church theft-free, for instance. Good call. Making people afraid of what they say outside the realm of Genesis? Bad call.

Take a moment to reflect. You said yourself we hit a dangerous low in the past. Before this happened, AoP was heavy handed on deletion (which is implied)... so now that a good player base returns... we go to the old ways again? Did they work? It doesn't appear so, and I'm using the evidence you gave me in this line of debate already. I don't know the whole story- not even close. However, I do know that the last two notes on the common board. You're making it hard to talk to people out of character, and giving the AOP team some serious power that makes me want to barf. For instance: I'm making an alt by the name of Icemann. LET IT BE KNOWN. Everyone who now shares the link to this forum (by what I've heard as far as rules) gets deleted.

Furthermore, are you telling me that If I meet with Ody in real life and we are talking about genesis, We aren't able to have free speech?! Are you telling me if someone ELSE posts an Instagram picture of all of Logg's alts, I'm not allowed to like or share the picture? Who gave you that control? When did this become part of the game? When does this line of 'integrated bullshit' end? A friend told me recently the main reason this doesn't sit well with him: Genesis is Genesis, Earth is Earth. Keep them separate and you'll keep us happy.

My point is a simple one. I approve of people using programming language to cheat, getting deleted. I approve of people using alt information to seriously harass others, getting deleted. I approve of people who are abusing the game (like the DA generals logging in for 2 minutes every two weeks), getting deleted. In a time of instant information, banning/deleting people because of a few sentences or sharing a link is ridiculous. You'd be deleting half the realm. Deleting four or five people? That's also ridiculous. If you're going to make this a policy, either go all the way or not at all. Have the balls to follow through or put them back in your pants. Delete everyone who has seen and shared the link, or no one. In your heart of hearts, you know that you'd be crushing the growth of the game, so you're pulling a few people out to show us you can do it. Well, we don't like it.

Ok, I'll stop my rant, but consider this: Your power comes from us. No one cares if you're the keeper of Genesis if no one plays it.

(This isn't personal, you're just in charge, so I'm just saying what I believe)
Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick. A shadow on the wall. And a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2306
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Deletions

Post by gorboth » 25 Jun 2017 06:39

If you reveal your own alts in a public post, it is considered free info. I already stated that.

I feel your outrage, Iceman. But this is an important rule, and it stays unless the AoP decides otherwise. And, no, we didn't arrive at the lows of 2012 due to wizard rule enforcement, but rather because the huge list of developments that I've named in various State of the Donut posts that have brought us up to speed with modern gaming needs had not yet been accomplished.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1444
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Deletions

Post by Amberlee » 25 Jun 2017 07:00

No one argued the rule, Gorboth.
People argued the punishment..
Which is way out of proportion.
I relish that Emraht is gone.. Truly.. He is a blight upon the game.
However he did not deserve being deleted as a response to this.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1786
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Deletions

Post by Draugor » 25 Jun 2017 09:45

Most of the 2012 low people have returned aswell :o

Also, its a good rule, imo people should be allowed to say that it doesent matter if his or her alts where shared tho, for instance, Share my alts, I dont care :P Now my chars should be exemp from the rule.

And I agree with Amb, Emraht will not be missed by most.

Makfly
Champion
Posts: 598
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 00:36

Re: Deletions

Post by Makfly » 25 Jun 2017 10:07

Amberlee wrote:Well the playerbase is disrespected in many ways.
Most of them not in the form of revealing seconds, yet other ways are never punished.
Well, they have to start somewhere.
I wholly agree that there are other things that is worse than this crime, but hopefully the AoP team will also get around to punishing that.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1786
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Deletions

Post by Draugor » 25 Jun 2017 10:13

Makfly wrote:
Amberlee wrote:Well the playerbase is disrespected in many ways.
Most of them not in the form of revealing seconds, yet other ways are never punished.
Well, they have to start somewhere.
I wholly agree that there are other things that is worse than this crime, but hopefully the AoP team will also get around to punishing that.

Tbh, total nuke of all combat/general xp, its a bitch of a punishment. No recovery

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1444
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Deletions

Post by Amberlee » 25 Jun 2017 11:20

Draugor wrote:
Makfly wrote:
Amberlee wrote:Well the playerbase is disrespected in many ways.
Most of them not in the form of revealing seconds, yet other ways are never punished.
Well, they have to start somewhere.
I wholly agree that there are other things that is worse than this crime, but hopefully the AoP team will also get around to punishing that.

Tbh, total nuke of all combat/general xp, its a bitch of a punishment. No recovery

Yeah that one is a bitch, but fits the crime.
Even half combat EXP is enough tbh
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1786
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Deletions

Post by Draugor » 25 Jun 2017 11:22

Naa, all of it, do it proper. Compared to the current punishment its atleast reasonable

Ethuscuel
Apprentice
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:28

Re: Deletions

Post by Ethuscuel » 25 Jun 2017 12:16

Hi everyone! Long time listener, sixteenth time caller.

Sincere apologies for poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, and bad humor. Even though my imagination isn't the smallest part of me, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

The question I keep coming back to is "What exactly is management trying to control?"

***Names, characters, places and incidents are either products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.***
Please don't delete me if ACCIDENTALLY guess someone's alt, seriously...I didn't know.

Situation:
Ody and I are besties and we've been hanging out all day, finishing each other's sentences. Ody tells me he needs to relax so he's going to climb on Diri, his alt, for a while. Amberlee sends me a letter and wants to hang out because I'm the coolest of the Morgul Mages and we set to tearing the realm to shreds...mostly the murderous, kin-slaying elves though. Because...elves. While doing 'God's work' we chat it up on an instant-messenger and Amberlee asks where Ody went. Being one of the more quick-witted Mages I immediately tell her that Ody crawled on Diri, his alt, to relax for a bit. Amberlee and I finish our spree (and each other's sentences!!) and she discloses that my wraithly sibilance has sullied her, deeply. We part ways, chuckling at our wit, and she heads to the Bazaar, where all the weirdos are. After the previous hour of wrecking a wraith's confidence, that dirty girl needed a bath. On her way to the Bazaar Resort and Spa she saw Nellnight *surprise!* and asked him along for escort and conversation - the classic blunder. Swiftly seeing through Nellnight's 'relaxing massage' ruse, she informs him that she's going to go closely investigate things on Logg, her alt. Diri sends Nellnight a Takhisis-air-mail, "Fluffy is on Morrison," in reply to an earlier question. At the same time, I run across him in Underdark - because...elves. I know two things: 1 - Amberlee came this direction. 2 - The Union are lecherous voyeurs and would know exactly where she was. So I inquire as to Amberlee's location and Nell tells me, "She's on Logg." There's a joke in there somewhere.

Are we all getting deleted?

Now, in all seriousness...I'm back to my original question: What is management trying to control?

If I tell Etanukar my alt's name and he tells Celephias, and since Celephias and Pacal are BFFs - Pacal now knows, and then Pacal tells Persephone in passing. Of course we all know that Persephone is smitten with Manglor, so obviously he's been told...and Finwe finds out that Persephone told Manglor because Manglor is two timing Persephone with Finwe.
Shit, I've gone cross-eyed.
Before hitting the delete button, is management going to contact me to find out if I'm ok with my alt being known? Serious question since you say that if we 'out' our own alts there'll be no execution.
Even if I'm not ok with my alt being known - is it really all Persephone's fault or is it mine for telling someone in the first place?
Am I missing the point?

Genesis is small-town-game, USA. Now, all you city-folks listen up! I have some experience with this sort of domain. I grew up in a small town and if I learned anything it was that you don't tell - even your closest friends - anything that you don't want the entire town to know. Also, don't lend money to family unless you can afford to wipe your ass with it. Oh, and don't box the local muscular Mexican kid - he will beat your ass and make you cry.

I'm not an owner. I'm not a manager. I play at your convenience and I'm super-ok with that - because I know I can suck it otherwise. Rules are rules and I try really hard not to do stupid stuff. However, is deletion really the best punishment a bunch of smart management-types can agree on for what you see above? Really?

BTW, I don't have alts because MM frowns on Mages having Mage alts and my alts would definitely be Mages.
Because...Mages.

Draugor
Myth
Posts: 1786
Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14

Re: Deletions

Post by Draugor » 25 Jun 2017 12:53

I believe the main thing is controlling info on wizards alts, alltho wizards tell their friends and they then tell their friends etc etc, keeping an alt secret is VERY hard on genesis what with wizards beeing able to watch the playerfile wich has the alts listed, wich is imo why deletion is alittle to much for this stuff.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/