Change to spellcasting and shieldwearing

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Snedecor
Wanderer

Re: Change to spellcasting and shieldwearing

Post by Snedecor » 23 Sep 2017 07:12

I see no reason why ad-hoc a magic based guild should not be a good tank build (see, Clerics for reference :) ). They should not be a tank AND super damage build, but I see no reason why it should be worse than a non-magic guild at tanking.

With SoHM, the cast rate is so high with one shield that it messes with me quite severely, not to mention throwing off my triggers (which with some effort I can get around, though I have found myself sitting there not casting anything a few times). I don't however, go counting the percentage of times it makes me fail. I have had to wind whisper four times once to talk to someone wearing one shield. That was super annoying.

I also don't see why a magic user ad hoc shouldn't use shields. Realistically two does seem excessive.

But it comes back to that realism aspect. At what point do we do what we have always done- disregard realism for sake of ease of use within a pre-defined system? It never bothered me. Did it bother anyone else?? Such things are a given in any mechanics driven game.

Instead, the spirit of Genesis has always focused on realism in roleplay, not in gear or bare mechanics. I'm not sure attempting to drive at mechanics realism adds value to the donut unless the result is utterly bizarre or imbalanced.

As it stands its thrown off-balance at least two guilds that I have seen attested to. I can only speak to my experience, but the difference between dual wielding shields and not dual wielding shields is -apparently- compared to the post adjustment experiences the only thing that is allowing a -legend-level-defense-based-caster- to tank GONT for stink's sake.

It -feels- like stoneskin was nerfed.

I probably could do it with top-notch gear still, or an optimal layman.

SoHM tanks, unless they are huge, cannot solo things by themselves. At least I sure can't/couldn't.
Last edited by Snedecor on 23 Sep 2017 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

Snedecor
Wanderer

Post by Snedecor » 23 Sep 2017 07:14

I also rather like that the Morguls are OP :). Adds to the fun of the big bad evil people.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 23 Sep 2017 12:06

Snedecor wrote:I also rather like that the Morguls are OP :). Adds to the fun of the big bad evil people.

Yeah well.
The Morgul's aren't really OP..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 23 Sep 2017 12:56

Amberlee wrote:
Snedecor wrote:I also rather like that the Morguls are OP :). Adds to the fun of the big bad evil people.

Yeah well.
The Morgul's aren't really OP..
Not since the balancing and they are only really good against non resisted targets so yea... not that OP anymore

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 24 Sep 2017 04:23

Its fairly simple to make #MATH triggers in cmud that calculate percentages. Before the change, I could guarantee 4-5% failure rate of spells. Very livable, >30% is not. I would be more than willing to speak offline and provide any combat logs, Arman.

Thanks for being open to feedback.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 24 Sep 2017 04:36

Etanukar wrote:Its fairly simple to make #MATH triggers in cmud that calculate percentages. Before the change, I could guarantee 4-5% failure rate of spells. Very livable, >30% is not. I would be more than willing to speak offline and provide any combat logs, Arman.

Thanks for being open to feedback.
Yep. If you set your MATH triggers now to calculate you'll find that it should be around 4% for one shield... it may not have been the case earlier in the week, but that was because spells hadn't been updated when the default was set at a higher fail rate. They have now, but happy to take this offline if you are finding the failrate is higher than that.

Luma
Adept

Post by Luma » 16 Nov 2017 07:22

Ok, so magic guild+monk is off the table.
I can live with that.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/